Thread: avoiding pinks when trolling

Default avoiding pinks when trolling

I'm new to the trolling game. Looking for some advice on avoiding catching pinks while targeting kings and silvers. Not that they arn't fun to catch, but after awhile it starts getting a little frustrating trying to target other fish. I've tried going deep, shallow and all depths in between. Faster, slower, bigger.....Nothing seemed to change. I didn't use any "real" Herring. Maybe thats the ticket.

Any suggestions?
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    I'm new to the trolling game. Looking for some advice on avoiding catching pinks while targeting kings and silvers. Not that they arn't fun to catch, but after awhile it starts getting a little frustrating trying to target other fish. I've tried going deep, shallow and all depths in between. Faster, slower, bigger.....Nothing seemed to change. I didn't use any "real" Herring. Maybe thats the ticket.

Any suggestions?
    When they are in there's not much that can be done other than pick up and move. Fishing deeper can work, that's if you can get your bait down there. Dime bright pinks are a tasty meal.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I hate humpies with a passion.

As the previous poster said, the best way to avoid humpies is to not fish around humpies..

Sounds like you tried all the alternatives. Sometimes a change will work, and sometimes you just have to move. A color change is my first stab, but if the kings and silvers want the same color as the pinks, that defeats the purpose. If you're specifically looking for kings and don't mind chasing off the silvers, a switch to the big plugs used by commercial king trollers will usually do the job. At 7" long and 1.25" in diameter they're just too darned big to interest pinks, and they usually miss the big 8/0 Siwash hook even if they get ambitious. But in my experience the big plugs are best for really deep king fishing.

Deeper does work too. Get your gear down fast, to avoid them grabbing it on the way down.

I fish my share of Acme plugs, but the only time I can get them to fish on par with a flasher/hoochie is in the winter.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to try moving around a bit more next time. I agree Dime bright pinks eat just fine, but I prefer them fresh so I don't keep to many.
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

I hate to say it, but in my experience there is no way to avoid catching pinks if they are around. I have tried "going deeper", using different colors, etc., and as you probably well know, I use "real" herring all the time, but pinks do not just stay above a magic depth line---they are feeding down there just like everything else that's down there and if there's bait 60 ft. down there will be pinks 60 ft. down, and they are feeding on the same things that the silvers and kings are feeding on. They don't have depth gauges that tell them to not go any deeper because they've reached the 30 ft. level. I couldn't keep them off my hooks the other day at Pogi and had to weed through them just to get one decent silver using herring and a squid imitator.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Trolling bigger gear faster may help. Herring of any sort will get hit. I've never caught a pink on a 5" tomic, but that size plug has accounted for quite a few big silvers, and kings if they're around.

"Schmanks!" "Schmanks!"

That's what we call pinks, a term taught me by my Kodiak skipper in 2002.

Say it in unison and get used to it, because they aren't going to go away and there's no way around them...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

One other thing helps a bit. Quit trolling and "mooching" and switch to jigging. It's not a sure-fire deal, but if pinks are getting in the way of kings I've had good luck jigging with larger darts (especially 8 oz). They sink really fast and get past the bulk of the pinks. Pinks tend to shy away from bottom in areas with good halibut for obvious reasons, while the kings like it close to bottom. You'll have to deal with halibut bycatch near bottom rather than pinks, but sacrifices have to be made. Aw shucks.

I am a new in salmon fishing. According yours post pink salmon much worse vs. kings or silvers. Question is WHY? Because bad taste or quality of meat? Or they are not good fighters?
    By the way, how to range salmon species by quality?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ING View Post
    I am a new in salmon fishing. According yours post pink salmon much worse vs. kings or silvers. Question is WHY? Because bad taste or quality of meat? Or they are not good fighters?
    By the way, how to range salmon species by quality?
    Thanks
    Not necessarily much worse, although some people don't care for the taste; mostly just much smaller. It gets really frustrating to be reeling in 2# pinks when you know there are 30# kings around. I like to catch a few pinks; I smoke 30# to 40# of them every year, but I want to see some coho and kings come over the rail too.

Big_E

Big_E