Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24' Almar Inboard jet Please Help

Default 24' Almar Inboard jet Please Help

This Boat has been sitting for a long time like since 1984 I know nothing about inboard jet boats. I would like to see if it runs. How should I go about trying to start the motor that has been sitting a long time ? I believe that it is a closed system. I was going to drain the gas out and put new in. pull the vaulve covers off and make sure the vaulves are not stuck by tapping them. I was also going to pull the distributer and hook up a drill to oil pump to get oil up to the top of the motor. Is it ok to try to start the motor out of the water just for minute or so, it say 250 hr on the meter Thanks

The water pump impeller is soft rubber, running it out of water even for seconds can destroy it. I would pull all the spark plugs, pour some marvel mystery oil into each spark plug hole and let it soak a day or so. Then try rotating to engine back and forth to make sure the rings are free. Change all fluids and filters, flush the fuel system. Apply power and let the starter spin the engine with the plugs removed. Be careful because the oil and any water will come out of the plug holes with force. Once it is all cleaned out and fluids are topped off, reinstall plugs and try to start it. Might be a good idea to attach one plug to a wire and touch the plugs thread to a ground on the engine, have someone turn it over and check for a spark between the plugs electrode. Absolutely do not try to turn it over without removing the sparks plugs, if water or other fluids have leaked into the cylinders and you try to turn it over it can bend the rods.

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks Steve, ill do what you said. The boat has a raidiator with water in it , Would that be enough water for the water pump or does the whole boat have to be in the water just to see if it will run?

Thanks for helping, Dean

I'm no inboard jet expert, From my understanding it should still have a RAW water pickup and a heat exchanger that uses river water to cool the water in the CLOSED system. It is the impeller for the RAW water that can damaged, after almost 30 years a new one would be a good idea anyway. I have also been told that damage to the jet itself can be caused from running them out of water as well.
    Should be cool breathing life back into her after all those years. Just a word, boats can get expensive and old boats can get REAL EXPENSIVE!!!!

Good Luck

Steve

I used to own an Almar Lite inboard jet boat.

On the inboards, you get your raw water from the jet pump itselt. No rubber impeller to worm out. Usually you can take and hook a hose up to the inlet of the raw water inside the dog house. BUT... The jet pump needs water to run. So if there is a driveshaft, unhook that from the motor so the jet does not turn. Then hook a hose up to the inlet of the water hose of the raw water system. start the motor, THEN turn the water on. If not, you could put water into a cylinder through the exhaust. You can start the motor up fine with out outside water, just to see if it starts, as long as the jet unit is unhooked. If you can't unhook the jet, then back it into a river or a lake to start it. Then you will have all the water you need for the jet and the raw water system. The engine's water pump is the same as your car's on a closed system.

This is for an inboard jet unit only. If you have a inboard prop unit, you should be able to use the earmuff water adapter to get fresh water in that way as you would a regular outboard. If you have an outboard then stid is correct on the rubber impeller issues.

Another thing too is If it is a kodiak or a hamilton jet the footlong alminm toobes along both sides of the jet exterior provide the the raw cooling water. A almost garntee those are sealed closed with salt/almnm corrosion blockage. the only way to fix is to take apart the jet. (good lck) Even if ya do everything else if ya dont check this yoll take off all happy abot getting going then roast the motor within site of the ramp.

Also ya cant start the jet dry ever. If its a 3 stage jst ask me I know.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DIMOND View Post
    This Boat has been sitting for a long time like since 1984 I know nothing about inboard jet boats. I would like to see if it runs. How should I go about trying to start the motor that has been sitting a long time ? I believe that it is a closed system. I was going to drain the gas out and put new in. pull the vaulve covers off and make sure the vaulves are not stuck by tapping them. I was also going to pull the distributer and hook up a drill to oil pump to get oil up to the top of the motor. Is it ok to try to start the motor out of the water just for minute or so, it say 250 hr on the meter Thanks
    How mch do ya want for it? I got my 25t wooldrige jst loke that sitting for years. It broke down so many times I plled the motor so I woold stop sing it. and the jet was a melted glob stainless shaft bronze impeller and alminm hosing.

This is what it will cost yoo.
    jet rebild 3k impellers are at least 700 a piece.+new ctlass bearings wear rings and insilataors.
    New reman. long block 2500k-3000k
    New stearing and cable and parts 400
    new starter 235 if its a reverse rotation.
    New wiring 400 if yoo install.
    new canvass top 2500-3500
    new floorboards to replace the soggy 400lb one in there now 200-400
    Tear the foam oot the boat and get it back together 40hrs labor
    Blood sweat tears and divorce losing the new f350 all part of the worthwile sacrafice of owning an older big block inboard.
    gasoline hehehehehe
    At 3.50 a gallon and 12 gallons an hr at least. Is 30 an hr for gas on the cons. side. not inc. oil changes and filters every 60 to 100 hrs. Ps other odds and ends ya got to have or fix. Belts carb rebild is over 200 from a pro.
    It ends p abot 50$ an hr to hit the throttle on thes boats.

SOO WHAT ARE YA ASKING FOR IT? HeHEHEHEHeHe

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    How mch do ya want for it? I got my 25t wooldrige jst loke that sitting for years. It broke down so many times I plled the motor so I woold stop sing it. and the jet was a melted glob stainless shaft bronze impeller and alminm hosing.

This is what it will cost yoo.
    jet rebild 3k impellers are at least 700 a piece.+new ctlass bearings wear rings and insilataors.
    New reman. long block 2500k-3000k
    New stearing and cable and parts 400
    new starter 235 if its a reverse rotation.
    New wiring 400 if yoo install.
    new canvass top 2500-3500
    new floorboards to replace the soggy 400lb one in there now 200-400
    Tear the foam oot the boat and get it back together 40hrs labor
    Blood sweat tears and divorce losing the new f350 all part of the worthwile sacrafice of owning an older big block inboard.
    gasoline hehehehehe
    At 3.50 a gallon and 12 gallons an hr at least. Is 30 an hr for gas on the cons. side. not inc. oil changes and filters every 60 to 100 hrs. Ps other odds and ends ya got to have or fix. Belts carb rebild is over 200 from a pro.
    It ends p abot 50$ an hr to hit the throttle on thes boats.

SOO WHAT ARE YA ASKING FOR IT? HeHEHEHEHeHe
    MM, you are so inspiring...........................dang reality anyway....................

Quote Originally Posted by AK DIMOND View Post
    I am pretty jet savy...if needing a hand let me know. I will be in town everyday starting Wednesday for State Soccer tournament and would be willing to put a couple of hours of help at for ya. PM me if interested

Talking srry lol

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    MM, you are so inspiring...........................dang reality anyway....................
    After all the money, time, and, self sacrifices, made to make yor ship into a steady, fierce, gallion of the shallows, Yo shall be loathing in self pride as she slides over mere inches of water with her roaring big block at yor command. Yo shall be fearless in the skinniest creeks and swiftest rivers.

Oh yea jst remember this and yor good....Big inboard jetboats kick ass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OOPs Forgot the inspiring video too here it is. Nice vid I made heading downriver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmDiZEcWKsI cant remember how to make link lol. jst paste it to yor browser.

Thats a great boat, I loved mine. What motor is it you have? Is it a 3 stage hamilton or is it maybe one of those 10" pumps? You can get the impellors reuilt for about 350 apiece so that ought to save you a few bucks over whats been projected thus far. It does make good sense to pull the drive shaft apart and start the motor, then get a strap wrench and maybe you'll luck out and be able to spin the jet by hand first as well. If you are so lucky, then I'd back it in the water and try starting it with the drive shaft hooked up, make sure and grease that pump with good marine grease before you spin it. Theres a pretty apparent zirk fitting on the pum housing accessible from inside the stern of the boat.

I think its a three stage. Is that good or bad

Lightbulb 3-stage

They are a good jet. Especially in alaska. Very simple take apart and assemble. Once yo get the impellers loose from the shaft clean the shaft with emery cloth ntil the corrosion is gone. DOnt try to remove any shaft material. and dont let the shaft flop downwards when yo pll the last impeller or yo can damage the ceramic friction type seal inside the jet that protects the main greaseable bearing mentioned above that has a fitting right behind the driveshaft where it enters the jet hoosing When yo reasemble the jet get some heavy dty red marine grease, I get MOREYS brand (dont yoos the green trailer bearing crap its too light a grease for the bearing)and grease the shaft and the inside of the impeelers and the keyways and the races on the shaft. Also fill the stator joints where the orings go in with grease. Also grease the long bolts that hold the jet together. And all the moving parts behind the transom shoold be greased as often as needed. If yo do this the next time yo need to take it apart ( every spring for inspection) It will be 2 or 3 hor job not a 40 hor job. srry my yoo btton broke lol. And when trying to seperate the stators parts #59 dont jst drive a screwdriver inbetween. There is lip inside that can be broke. Take time and work yo way arond it with a heavy plastic deadblow hammer and a prybar or hammer and a piece of 2x4 to work them loose. the alminm is really soft and easy to damage. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get em apart and hope for the best. If the impellers are seized to the shaft they will block the stators from coming apart. If I remember right the nt on the tail of the shaft tightens conterclockwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MM,
    I learned something about IB Jets, cool.....yoose seem to know yer bidness..........LOL, sorry couldnt help it.
    In the back of my mind I have been considering a IB in the future and was thinking about what you said about three stage jets, It looks like the one in drawing is a older Hamilton? I know Kodiak makes (or used to?) 3 stage jets, so why is the 212 so popular and what about the American Turbine jet pumps? Or the Scotts?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

The impeller shaft has rubber cutless bearings that need water for lubrication. This it why you can't start it out of water.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

The scotts are similar And scott makes impellers stators and steering nozzles for the 3 stage kodiak/hamilton. The one in the drawing is a 3-stage hamilton. Hamilton discontined the 750-770 model 1-2-3 stage jets. And Kem aqired the patent years ago and called it the kodiak. Not sre when that happened. The 212 will will psh abot 1000lbs more than a 3-stage. The downfall on those yo are limited by rpm from what I hear they arent mch good over 4 grand bt can be setp to handle a lot hof hp. The kodiak can handle lots of revs to arond 6k I think bt they can be overpowered by the motor If yo got say a 400+ hp ripper and it can spin ot on take off easier or if yoy jst pnch it the impellers wont grab. I talk to people read a lot and the 212 is a very good jet. The reason ill stick to the 3 stage is the 3 impellers deal with river debri and cavitation A lot better than a single stage. My 25 wooldridge with 460 with a 3 stage has to rev 200 rpm higher at any speed to keep p with a 25 foot almar with a 454 and a 212. I hear a lot of good abot the scott too they are spendy place too shop tho. Some gys arond here have American Trbine bt not many. The reverse is lame and thbey clog easily. Bt I see on ytbe they se them on race boats often. American Trbine is probably the least exp. of the 3 if boght new.

MM,
    lots of good info, I know there are a lot of things to like about a IB jet, I dont get too excited about the thought of burning 12-15 GPH....!

I hear guys talk about decent fuel burn rates with some of newer motors (mostly GM 8.0 & 6 litres) hooked to a 212. I have no personal experience w/ IB's so, lots of questions.
    My current set up does ok (20 foot w/ OB jet), ok is 6 GPH if really light and taking easy, heavy is close to 10 gph and I am maxed out at 2400 pounds capacity.

I am not really considering a much bigger boat than I already have, thinking 21 foot, maybe 6 foot bottom, dont know why I would need 300-400 Hp to make that happen????????

What about a injected 4.3 (225HP) w/ Scott pump, The Vortec 4.3's are pretty efficent, relatively simple and cheap (not neccescarily cheaper than a 350, but some 200 pounds lighter). I mean if I can pick up 2400 pounds with a 140 OB, I should be able to pack another 1000 with a 225 HP ................Figuring the OB is 98 at the pump (30% loss) and the IB would be 190 at 15 % loss..............?

Am I thinking right? or is ther something wrong with this picture....................?
    Heck, alot of the old 350 chevs and ford 351's were right at 200 HP..........mostly hooked to three stage pumps............
    TR

I see the big diff between inboard and otboard is the higher hp on the inboards can yoose a bigger pmp and psh more water. The inboards can pack more weight. The tradoffs are the inboards gotta yoose more foel and carry it too so that cts a lot off of advantage gained. Thats big downfall of the bigger boats. Packing the foel they need. And to make that worse the the inboard boats are inherently heavier too.
    Lets hear yor side Isnt the advantage of an otbord on a boat yor size is the lighter weight economy and the the deck space. Yo can go shallower at slower speeds. If are happy with the otboard setp why not stick with it. Here is some specifications from my 1992 printed hamilton 3 stage workshop manal
    1 stage 50 to 130 hp
    2 stage 100 to 240hp
    3 stage 130 to 300 hp Interestin cz many jetines almars and others came (350 hp I think) 460 redline motors. My 1981 wooldridge came with a factory ford 330hp 460 marinezed engine straight off their press. I still have it. With its specification papers.
    There was also 351 ford redlines. Dont know If the did chevies. Pretty mch all the sled bilders pt small blocks in all the way p to 22 ft. Great as long yoo dont need high performance
    And yes yor right sorta. Yoo dont need 300hp to scoot the boat. Bt yo do need it to carry the extra 6 or 700lbs motor and jet absorbing the hp. Its a steep tradeoff. They jst had pitched impellers fine enff so the motor can do it. Then the next limit is boat weight.
    Qooted from hamilton tecnical manal.

chevy 5.7 liter 350 has 225 NEThp@4200rpm sing standard impellers.
    454 7.4 liter 320 net hp @4300rpm sing coarse impellers.
    v6 3.7 liter 160hp@4050rpm 2 stage coarse impellers.

Ford 302 4.9 liter 200hp@4000rpm std imp
    351 5.8 liter 225hp@4200rpm std imp.
    460 7.5 liter 270 net hp@4100rpm coarse impeller.
    HAmilton claims the 3 stage can move op 4800 total laden lbs. I have been well over that. Bot not in a 21 footer.
    the 2 stage rated at 3900 laden lbs
    the single 2900

I wold like to have a 20 footer with the 6 liter chev hehehehehe

The trick is power to weight. Get the boat lighter and yo can pt more weight in it with the same hp and boat.

Net HP is at the pump? I am having hard time figuring out why a IB has to be that much heavier?
    The big Honda 200-225 is right at 600 pounds, maybe a little lighter with a jet pump, a 4.3 is advertised at 450 pounds shipping weight so I suspect with manifolds and cooling right at 600 pounds. Add a Scott 2 stage at 150 pounds and you are within a couple of hundred pounds of a OB, I also think the 4.3 would have more torque than the Honda? OB manufacturers do not advertise torque output..........
    My current hull weight with a 60" bottom is right at 1350 pounds, about the same weight of a Wooly extra plus, if it was ordered with a 68" or 72" bottom it would be up another 200 pounds or so.
    It seems to me the completed boat weight would be maybe 400-500 pounds heavier than a similar boat with a OB, weight distribution would be far better, those big OB's hanging off the transom really make them set low in the back when drifting. wider bottom helps some.
    Maybe there is more to IB than I am aware of that makes em so much heavier?
    could go with a aluminum v-8, just wouldnt want to pay for it.............just thinkin outloud............
    TR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast