Can I please get a few Copper River questions answered?
1. Is this still open?
2. Can a person have a permit for say fish creek (Kenai district) and for Copper River? The reason is I was only able to fish the last day of the season and managed 10 fish. I had a smallish net I rented from Elmendorf AFB outdoor recreation.
3. If ? 2 is yes, would it be better to get the Glennallen subdistrict or the Chitina subdistrict
4. What are the limits for both as of this post? I have read of people catching 100 plus fish. It seems like Glennallen is like the permit I have for Fish Creek ?
yes it is open, but the river is high right now. Next week would be terrific for fishing assuming the river goes back down (it should)
yes you can do Fish Creek AND Copper river.
You want the Chitina permit, not Glennallen as you will wan tto be able touse the charter boat at Chitina ($100) and worth every penny.
Your limit is 30 fish at Chitina per HOUSEHOLD of 2 or more.
1. Is this still open?
•Open until midnight, Sept. 30. Schedule is here.
2. Can a person have a permit for say fish creek (Kenai district) and for Copper River?
•"You can have Kenai/Kasilof + Chitina OR Kenai/Kasilof + Glennallen." Dipnetting 101 Fact Sheet
3. If ? 2 is yes, would it be better to get the Glennallen subdistrict or the Chitina subdistrict?
•Chitina is Personal Use: 15 for Head of Household + 15 if others in household. Check schedule for supplemental openings.
•Glenallen is Subsistence: "30 for household of one, or 60 for a household of 2 or more plus 10 for each additional household member. Only 5 king salmon. Limits can be increased upon request if necessary to meet subsistence needs." Dipnetting 101 Fact Sheet
Dipping just above the bridge (Glenallen permit) can be pretty rough from shore, as the current can be very swift. Further up is all private land, and better accessed by jet boat (not recommended for first-timers)
Below the bridge offers more possibilities for good back eddies for shore fishing. Read through the various posts in this forum and you'll be better prepared for what to expect.
Miles Lake sonar #'s have dropped off, and Fish and Game doesn't post any more after 8/1. Some folks do like to fish in August, but I wouldn't put it off too long.
4. What are the limits for both as of this post?
•See answer for #3 above. Chitina subdistrict has been closed for kings for awhile.