Thread: Suggest some 10mm ammo for bear protection.

Default Suggest some 10mm ammo for bear protection.

I am looking for some ammo for my Glock 20. Any suggestions other than Double Tap? I ran a few boxes of it through my gun and would like to try some other ammo. Finding very little out there to choose from. Thought I would ask here in case anyone had any suggestions. This is my black bear and ******* gun. Thanks for any thoughts.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Mine likes corbon. I got it at WWGs

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I am looking for some ammo for my Glock 20. Any suggestions other than Double Tap? I ran a few boxes of it through my gun and would like to try some other ammo. Finding very little out there to choose from. Thought I would ask here in case anyone had any suggestions. This is my black bear and ******* gun. Thanks for any thoughts.

-Dan
    Dan:

I have some DT 200gr HC.

I also recently bought some of each of the following:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=191168

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=375984

I have shot the 180gr CorBon rounds and the 200gr DT HC rounds without fail. I have not fired the Buffalo 200gr or chronoed any of the three yet, but will likley in the next two weeks and will report back. I would be interested in the Buffalo Bore HC rounds, but I am shying away from the HC rounds in case their is any truth to the rumor that they cause stock G20 barrels trouble.

Don't know if that helps. Good luck.

I'm carrying Buffalo Bore 200gr FMJs at the moment. They shoot nicely out of my 1006; almost as well as the 170gr and 200gr Norma loads that I'm hoarding . I'd certainly consider them a viable alternative.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I saw the 220 gr Buffalo Bore loads on Cabelas. Might give them a try. But at $26/box for 20 rounds, that is tough to swallow. Will check out the suggestions here. Thanks.

This is the 220 gr I was looking at. Out of stock at Midway, but Cabelas has them. Numbers look good.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=842378

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The only alternative to DT in my book is fmj Corbons in the 200gr. flavor...accurate w/excellent penetration. I have had no issue btw w/the DT hardcast.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

While I liked the Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC initially, I had two FTF due to light primer strikes. Granted, I shot 200 rounds of this ammo and had two failures. But that is two more failures than my other two Glocks have had since buying them years ago and shooting 1000+ rounds through each. I put a stainless guide rod and 20# spring in the new G20. Just can't figure out why I had the light primer strikes. Blaming the ammo, but could be doing so in error. Either way, looking for some other ammo to try that would be decent for woods carry. Thanks for any thoughts.

-Dan

Default some things should not fail, even 1 per cent of the time

I had two FTF due to light primer strikes. Granted, I shot 200 rounds of this ammo and had two failures. But that is two more failures than
    Now THAT sounds like something that will bite you in the ass someday young man.

No FTFs so far with any ammo I`ve tried...makes me wonder about the integrity of some of your internal parts. My gun has had a ruptured case with a 200g controlled expansion round that sent half the case and the bullet downrange and ejected the rest and left just enough case to stop the pistol from going to battery for the next round which obviously stopped my shooting for the moment. Kinda freaked me out so with some investigation I found a too-short chamber in the aftermarket barrel. Checked length of all of my DT ammo and found it was all identical. Since then I`ve had the barrel worked over but had 2 range days with the factory barrel and ran in excess of 400 rounds of 6 varieties of DT ammo without failure. Like I said above...shoot some fmj Corbon stuff (expensive) and see if you have failures. I always carried Corbon for the woods until I could get my hands on some DT cast stuff.

The 20# spring with stock components should provide nearly 0 failures...time to really look at some of the parts.

BTW, mine has mods...G29

Trigger spring
    Trigger connector
    Polished parts
    23# recoil spring set
    5" ported extended barrel (range queen now)

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Now THAT sounds like something that will bite you in the ass someday young man.
    Agreed. I slept lighter than I should have on POW in May. Doesn't sit well with me at all. I don't have much of a taste for mediocrity nor do I give second chances. That is why I am hunting for a solution and/or new ammo. Just not sure what the variable is at this point, but gut says ammo quality control.

-Dan

I don't have much of a taste for mediocrity nor do I give second chances.
    Oh.
    You mean, when you're talking about firearms. ...

Nah, about everything including people. I am picking up what you are putting down. Once my mind is made up, that is it, for better or worse. Admittingly, I tend to make my decisions on these matters slower than most folks. Kind of falls back on the measure twice, cut once mindset. I find it applies to most all things in life. Patience being a virtue I have only in recent years began to learn. But I am trying.

Dan:

IMO, one of your better bets likely is the CorBon 180gr BCSP rounds. I've never had a problem with any CorBon ammo from my .40 S&W up through my .340 Wby. I know that there may be some advantage in some situations with the 200gr HC bullets, but a .40 caliber 180gr bonded lead bullet moving at 1,300 fps seems pretty good. I have fired three boxed through my G20 without fail. And IMO, I CB ammo mataches or exceeds its published ballistics more consistently than other mfrs.