Thread: Remington 700/ 375 Ruger feeding issues

Default Remington 700/ 375 Ruger feeding issues

Hello

I just got my 375 Ruger back from the gunsmith. It was built on a 700 rem. He put a sako extractor on, opened bolt face (30/06 doner). I had my stock prepped and made short work getting the bedding and final fitting done

My first dummies for feeding were some 300 grain Hord DGX which are flat nosed. Anyway, load three down and the first just pop out of the mag. The last will chamber. I tried some 300 win with a 180 nosler just to see how they would feed and no issues.

Any tips?? I'm thinking it might be the flat nosed bullet too. In watching the 300 feed, it is already partially in action when it finally snaps ups and gets aligned. The little short flat nose just pops out. Dimensionally they are similar (300 & 375). Did not figure on feed issues

Any thoughts?? 416 rem or rigby shooters out there? Anything different from your followers from the norm?? Rifle is coming together but is currently a single shot!

Thanks

Sometimes feeding issues such as you describe in a Rem 700 are caused by the magazine box not being installed in the action correctly before tighening the action screws. This will cause the first round to just pop up as you described.

However, you may need some rail work done on this action as the Ruger cases are fatter. They run .510 at the shoulder compared to .489 for the 300 Win Mag.
    Tennessee

I talked to the guy who did the work for me. I did not give him my bottom metal so he could not check feeding.

Anyway, his suggestion was to start with a ultra mag, magazine box,,, figure I''l start here

I also would look at the rails. The shoulder on the 375 Ruger needs more room than the 30-06 and if not machined forward a bit the shells will pop out. I just converted a sporterized 03 Springfield from 30-06 to 375 Ruger and once I worked the rails it fed beautifully. Before that the shells would just pop out of the magazine when the bolt was worked. If you look close when the shells are in the magazine, you should see that they are at an angle with the bullet end towards the center instead of the shells paralleling the side.

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    I talked to the guy who did the work for me. I did not give him my bottom metal so he could not check feeding.

Anyway, his suggestion was to start with a ultra mag, magazine box,,, figure I''l start here
    My advice is to listen to the smith and go from there. Before you alter the rails I would take all of your components to the smith and let him make the adjustments. Removing metal from the rails is a permanent maneuver so it's best to be 100% certain and the builder would be the best candidate to massage them if necessary IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks guys

I'll take a look at how the shells look in the mag,,,,,mag box is on the way and I'll change it out but its looking like the rails need a look.

I won't be doing any of the rail work myself, it will go to a smith.
    Last edited by youngtrout; 08-02-2010 at 16:14. Reason: h

You can bend the feed lips on the magazine box and alter their relationship with the feed rails in the action. When you do this, you can adjust when the round "pops" free from the magazine.

it took quite a bit of playing aroudn to get my 375 RUM to feed right. Get a rum magazine box and go slow with a file.

Just wanted to update. I installed ultra mag box and it did help a bit. If I load 1 round it cycles perfectly. Slowly working the bolt or fast. When I load 2 or 3 I'm still getting the rounds poping out prematurely. I can cycle fast and it feeds slick, no issues. It's the slow feeding with 2 or more that's an issue

So from the rail issue, and just looking at the rounds cycle it almost looks like you need more rail? To keep it under the rail till the lips widen and shell pops into chamber. Since most talk about taking metal off could anyone so me a pic of the offending area metal needs to be removed?

Thanks again

No help on your feeding issues, but I had an issue you might confront. My 375 rebarrel kept the original barrel contour and came out really light. It's a dandy to pack, but at 7 pounds scoped, you know when you pulled the lanyard.

My issue came in recoil. With the floorplate release inside the trigger guard, there was just no way I could keep my trigger finger from hitting the release. I wasn't too worried about the bruised and scuffed knuckle, but a full magazine of rounds hitting the ground was embarrassing, and a little worrisome!

I solved it short term with a big swipe of duct tape over the floor plate. Looked like fecal pellets, but it was a beat around rifle and I didn't care. After a few years of beef from friends I got around to pinning the floor plate and removing the floor plate release. No more duct tape, shells on the ground, or scraped knuckle.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    You can bend the feed lips on the magazine box and alter their relationship with the feed rails in the action. When you do this, you can adjust when the round "pops" free from the magazine.
    What Dan said, but adding that the follower is real important... get one designed for the cartridge and get your lips right. It is very unlikely the rails need filing. Filing rails has ruined many an action...
    art

Just an update. I'm going to try a Wyatt Single stack mag box. I talked to him in length about it and seems like it should clear stuff up, not bad on price either, 50 bucks or so.

I changed the follower and mag box, and it was helping but stil popping out a bit too soon,,, okay I guess but I want it better than okay,,,rounds would still jam now and then working action slowly,,,,,I never want to have to look at round while cycling, just want it to work

I'll let you know if it works out!

Just wanted to let anyone know who has the same issues that the single stack mag and follower worked great. It actually feeds a little nicer that the staggered stock mag. I can put 2 down with the stock floorplate. I added a extended floorplate which looks a little goofy but now I can have 4 down.

At least the feeding issues were solved,

so cool! taking metals out of rrrrails is a "iffy" job for the inexperienced gunsmith..ha, you on the other hand did the alternative and have found numerous after market products to meet your specific needs in your rifle. Feeding like accuracies is crucial to great success and you now have satisfaction. Hey...post a pic or two of your results! would appcreciate that.

good hunting!