Thread: DG 363 - Port Dick

Default DG 363 - Port Dick

My partner and I drew DG 363 - Port Dick. Anyone ever hunted this or know anything about access? Better off on the gulf side or the Homer side? Do you find goats close to the coast of further inland? Any advice appreciated.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Gezzzz... I can't be a whole lot of help, but I did hunt that same permit a number of years ago. Harvested a WHOPPER Goat from that area. Seems to me that area is not seriously hunted hard for the fullest trophy potiential.
    You'll have to do some checking w/ the local native corp about access & land use....I can't rember all of the details from my hunt 10 or so years ago, but do rember there were some area's we could hunt and other area's we couldn't hunt.
    No shortage of Black Bears in that area. Without looking at my maps we concetrated our efforts on the geographic region at the "point" where you leave Cook inlet and are looking at Kodiak, across the straights. The weather is notoriously bad in the area, often w/ small craft advisories & storm warmings. Several places we hunted, you couyld have easily accessed the area by wheel plane and landed on the beach. Using a boat for access you're limited by weather and sea conditons as to where you can go, and then access to the shore and fighting through some rough [dangerous] surf conditions with a raft. Best of luck...there are some dandy Goats in the area!

Default port dick

Send you a pm.

Default Same Area Byron???

Quote Originally Posted by Byron_Lamb View Post
    Without looking at my maps we concetrated our efforts on the geographic region at the "point" where you leave Cook inlet and are looking at Kodiak, across the straights.
    Thanks Byron. I kind of wonder if your hunt was close to but not exactly the same as mine. I can't hunt out near the point where you leave the bay. My area is shaped some what like a hind quarter on the hook starting at Tutka Bay, through the mouontains along an old logging road and Rocky River to Rocky Bay to the gulf side, along the gulf to Taylor bay in Port Dick, up into the glacier and then back down to Tutka Bay. Appreciate the info. though.

-Carnivore

Default access from the gulf...

you will want to get to those goats from port dick or taylor bay, not sure about lakes that can be landed on, lots of guys go by boat.\
    good luck
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Het Carnivore, mind giving me your partner's 1st name?
    A friend of mine down here in the Kenai area drew that tag & I know he hunts with a guy from the valley.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Het Carnivore, mind giving me your partner's 1st name?
    A friend of mine down here in the Kenai area drew that tag & I know he hunts with a guy from the valley.
    Wrong guy Vance. His name is Scott and he lives in Eagle River.

Thanks & good hunting Carnivore
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Dave

Thanks Dave,

You wouldn't happen to know of any boats that charter to drop hunters off outta Homer do you. Not lookiing for guides, just a ride in and a ride out.

Carnivore

Default If...

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Thanks & good hunting Carnivore
    If we work a way there and the weather cooperates, I'm sure it will be.