Thread: Macomb Plateau caribou, early season

Default Macomb Plateau caribou, early season

hello out there, seeing as how the adfg changed the seasons on the caribou, my time off is going to make me try out the Macomb plateau area for caribou. just curious if anyone out there has tried the area or has known anyone that has. plan so far is to make way in toward fish lake on the top of the plateau and take a look around. or hunt the low area leading up to that high ground. any info would be greatly appreciated, will be sure to post pictures if there is any success, thanks

I don't have any info on the specific area you are looking at, but I do have a little experience with that hunt in a slightly different area. I can't PM you, so feel free to email me at matthew.miller@mmcs.army.mil.

Default Macomb plateau

I haven't done that hunt but I know the area fairly well and i would suggest a pack horse or have one of the local pilots drop you off. There's a landing strip at the base. You most likely will be competing with a dozen others, good luck....

There is a video on Youtube about caribou hunting this area. Type in "Macomb plateau". I didn't watch all of them and don't know if they will answer any of your questions but at least you can see the area.

is the trail that heads up to the plateau the one that starts at the road up to the tower near the highway? was up there years ago and walked up there a ways.

been up there hunting 3 different times, including last year, most of the caribou you will see will be cows, calfs and yearling bulls. The majority of the mature bulls are up high way back towards the glaciers. Best bet would be the Dry Creek trail, close to the Johnson River. A sign out by the road (Macomb Plateau Controlled Use Area)..drive down about 100 yards and park at the airstrip, follow the surveyors tape on trees leads you to the trail