Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Moose hunt... I need help.

Default 1st Moose hunt... I need help.

I am new to Fairbanks and want to go moose hunting for the first time. Thing is i have no idea what I am doing with moose hunting. Where is a goode place to go? What am i to be looking for as far as terrian? Where is a good butcher shop? Where is a good taxidermist?
    thanks for any help.

KJ, do a search on here for moose/fairbanks, or any of a number of combinations.. read the F&G manual for the unit for which you want to hunt and then look at maps for access issues..... then get a good gun and go...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Moose are heavy.... get a good 4 wheeler. If you can drive your truck to it all of the locals already know about your spot. You have to get away from the crowds. Thats why I suggest the 4 wheeler. Also leave the beer at home. It is way easier to spot moose through binos instead of bottles. The area I hunt is getting more and more crowded. The funny thing is we come out every year with a moose or two and people look at us as we pass them on the trails that havent even seen a moose. Invest in binos and a good gun and 4 wheeler. Ive got a 4 wheeler for sale if youre looking. As far as a butcher shop I do my own, taxidermy I do my own basic taxidermy too. My favorite spot is... top secret . Terrain is personal preference. I know lots of people who hunt the rivers... I like the hills.

DONT leave your beer at home, cause when you get skunked (like most people do) at least you had a good time get s**t faced!!! and dont listen to the sales pitch above, get a freaking boat!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Moose are heavy.... get a good 4 wheeler. If you can drive your truck to it all of the locals already know about your spot. You have to get away from the crowds. Thats why I suggest the 4 wheeler. Also leave the beer at home. It is way easier to spot moose through binos instead of bottles. The area I hunt is getting more and more crowded. The funny thing is we come out every year with a moose or two and people look at us as we pass them on the trails that havent even seen a moose. Invest in binos and a good gun and 4 wheeler. Ive got a 4 wheeler for sale if youre looking. As far as a butcher shop I do my own, taxidermy I do my own basic taxidermy too. My favorite spot is... top secret . Terrain is personal preference. I know lots of people who hunt the rivers... I like the hills.
    LOL well if your hunting anywhere near town... (100 mile radius) everyone knows your spot or is about to find it...

my missus shot hers last fall. from the road edge, 5 min from the house on Nordale road. it is a matter of knowing what time of day to be sitting in some of these spots around town...

are you a bow hunter?

Fairbanks management area is archery only with no antler restrictions and a decent season..

unit 20B is full of moose with the highest population of them in the state pushing nearly 23,000 at last falls cencus...

however due to the population boom of hunters ease of hunting from a wheeler or truck...it is now a 15 day season.

say you do get lucky first time out... what now. there are several current threads on processing a moose. i do my own butcher work. but if you want it done... get a $grand out and take it to Delta meats. cut, wrapped, ground, and into caseins, straight up... do not even screw with local meat processors.

a moose is intimidating in the field... and unlike deer are not typically drug home. they are cleaned and quartered on the spot. when you have to pack one any distance i average 11 trips in a pack frame. however with practice and means used in this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pment-and-note.

with a little practice you will have them ready to pack in about 2 hours

now the hardest thing to help with is getting new folks a new UNDERSTANDING.... moose are not like deer.

they are where you find them at that moment.. though in the fall they do gather in regular areas for the rut, they will use a trail for ease of walking but have no problem going solo elsewhere and will step through or over what ever it there.

get out hit some trails, do some scouting, sit down be quite and watch an area, even if 4 wheelers are buzzing by. those moose will stroll on out when the coast is clear....take you time, and have fun...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Plus everything Vince said! The big one being these aren't deer, first dead moose I saw i did the oh sh$&, what now lol. But now it is not like as long as u have everything on hand it is easy also skinning/quartering one up is not a one man show. But if u do get one by yourself more than likely people will by and majority of alaskans will help you out. For thier help offer up some meat, everyone rides away happy. 99 percent of the time u will need a wheeler, I suggest u find some buddies/ someone that will take out for your first season. Also read about salvaging all edible meat last thing u need is fish and game tonroll up and start writing a big ticket for waste of meat.

Whatever you do just don't shoot one in the water!!!!

Default Moose Information

I sent a PM to Weasel by mistake. I meant it to go to you. If you want some possible information from a non-resident (who has hunted the Fairbanks area several times) - send an e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    DONT leave your beer at home, cause when you get skunked (like most people do) at least you had a good time get s**t faced!!! and dont listen to the sales pitch above, get a freaking boat!!!
    sounds like someone is tired of being skunked... leave the beer at home and take the binos and see what happens.

On second thought take all of the beer you want... leaves more moose for me to choose from.

2009.jpg2007.jpg Yeah i really hate getting skunked dude.... beer is always good for celebration too there snaplink!!!

I dont believe that all the residents know all good moose areas withing 100 miles. I never see anyone in my area, but then again its not that easy to get there :-). I think you can learn a lot from this site but getting out there and scouting is super important, keep in mind just cause you see moose there now doesnt mean they will be there in middle to end of sep. Look for old rutting sign. If you do see bulls plan on trying to get in there early and hunt them before they move to a rutting area or someones freezer. The best advice I got when I was younger is "more effort=more success, less effort=less success". Good luck

P.S Fourwheelers and boats are nice and increase your odds but if you cant afford them just work harder and you can still be successfull.

Attachment 37320
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Whatever you do just don't shoot one in the water!!!!
    You mean like this!!

Can't open it, could you repost please. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    Attachment 37320

You mean like this!!

First time posting a pic sence new update, guess I'll have to ask brian for help?

A great way to get your feet wet with quartering a moose for processing is to get on the road-kill list. You will need a team of at least three people and a pick up truck or trailer to throw the quarter in. You will need to have your church's non-profit organization tax ID # for the application. Pick it up at your local ADF&G office and turn it in at a state trooper office that also has F&G law enforcement. I can only speak for my spot here around the valley but I'm sure its not too different up there.

You NEED to know what you are getting into; Moose are gigantic and can be overwhelming when it comes to cleaning. I would suggest using some church buddies to go in on the list with you, that way you can be shown first-hand how to butcher the beast and good processing techniques for afterwards. Supplies you will need:

4-5 LARGE game bags - don't skimp on these and get the cheap cheese cloth, get the canvas ones that you can re-use.
    1 GOOD caping knife (I like softer steel that sharpens up quicker, others like the harder steel that supposedly holds and edge longer but is signifcantly harder to sharpen)
    (personal preference here): 1 good fillet knife. - I use a fillet knife in addition to the caping knife. Along the back I can get long swipes at the hide and in deeper meat, I can usually carve off chunks faster than with the smaller caping knife. But its a matter of personal preference.
    I also use a combination of a tarp and a canvas drop cloth (the kind you pick up in your local paint department) Put the tarp down first and then the drop-cloth and set your quarters on it to minimize the mess in your rig.

As far as where to go; my best suggestion is to ask some of your hunting buddies to tag along and get some experience under your belt. There is no substitute for first-hand knowledge when it comes to the Alaska wilderness.

For instance; last season a family friend that was from Arizona that finally lasted a year and went moose hunting, ended up downing a nice little 3 brow tine about five miles into their 4-wheeler trip. They brought a rifle "just in case" and ended up using it. This couple was riding tandem on an aged 4-wheeler and had no knife, no game bags, no camping gear.... they were originally going up to pick blue berries (hint on terrain and habitat there). I told them they needed to call someone else because I was on my way to work and I simply couldn't call in "moose", we were at a fragile stage in our project and my presence was required there; otherwise I probably would have helped them out. It was a warm day, close to 70 and blazing sunshine which is bad for a downed moose.

They ended up connecting with some other friends and by about 3am the next day they had the moose out and back on the road home. They had to call for a rescue because they were unprepared. Don't be like them, be prepared.

There ya have it, I wish you the best of luck.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default road kill list

BCR, great idea and post.

How often have you been called?

Do you give it to the members of the church that need meat or are on some sort of assistance already?

Do you need another person for your crew? I can contribute skinning/butchering skills, a small flatbed with built in ramp, a rope-a-long with 80' of 5,000 pound no-stretch line, a strong ATV with winch, combined with a fairly strong back and complementary weak mind. Seriously though, I'd help.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    BCR, great idea and post.

How often have you been called?

Do you give it to the members of the church that need meat or are on some sort of assistance already?

Do you need another person for your crew? I can contribute skinning/butchering skills, a small flatbed with built in ramp, a rope-a-long with 80' of 5,000 pound no-stretch line, a strong ATV with winch, combined with a fairly strong back and complementary weak mind. Seriously though, I'd help.
    I hope you have your flight reservation ready when I call you on the sat-phone from ANWAR.

Default You bet

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I hope you have your flight reservation ready when I call you on the sat-phone from ANWAR.
    Book my flights and I will come and shlep your beast with you.

I should have known it was too good to be true.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I should have known it was too good to be true.
    well if you call me i will just drive up.....

you just have to walk out to the road to pick me up....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast