Thread: Bob-white Quail

Default Bob-white Quail

I recently heard that familiar sound I heard as a kid growing up down south, a bob-white quail. I first thought it was just someone mimmicking the tale-tell call, but I go out onto my back deck to see it sitting on a neighbors fence. In the distance, I could hear one calling back. I was unaware there were any in Alaska. Am I just misinformed and there are actually some up here or might they be transplanted and released? Just wondering, thanks.

Sorry, but the quail you are hearing are birds that have gotten away from someone who has raised them in captivity. No wild quail in Alaska. Heck, there are hardly any wild bobwhite left anywhere!

Jim

Those must be some birds that flew the coop.We do not have them hear naturally but a few pepole sell them each spring. jumped a flock in kinik river flats while duck hunting and got a pair another year at point makinze.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    ... there are hardly any wild bobwhite left anywhere!

Jim
    Our farm in Ga is full of them.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Thanks guys, that is what I thought. Too good to be true

You will find the occasional pheasant or turkey up here too. All are escapees. Pheasants around Homer and turkeys just this side of Soldotna and in the Peters Creek area as well.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Yep there were some turkeys (Wild looking domestic) running around North Pole for awhile. I saw them one morning a few years back. I was driving to work, and a big tom came strutting out of the woods, all puffed up! I had flash backs of growing up in Iowa as a kid! There was a tom, a jake, and about 6 hens in all. I had to slam on the breks, couldn't believe my eyes! I was pissed, because when I was pulling out of the shop, I noticed I still had my 12 gauge (ducks) in it's lock box, so I took it and put it in the safe in the house. If I would have just atken it with me, like I almost did, I would have been able to bag a nice tom that morning!