Thread: Canned Salmon--jars didn't seal

Default Canned Salmon--jars didn't seal

Just finished canning/jarring about 9 jars of sockeye in my pressure cooker. all but 4 of them sealed. I know I could just eat them within the next few days but what about re-sealing them. can i just put on new lids, bring them to boiling temp., then cool 'em back down? I don't really want to re-process them for the entire time again because it seems like that would over cook them. anyways, anyone have any suggestions?? I usually don't have this problem. Thanks!

Default canning

You'll need to get the temp of the Salmon back up so that it sterilizes. Since it's already cooked, just long enough to watch the bubbles start in the jars, then they're finished.

Disagree. You need to go through the entire process from the beginning. Canning time is not about cooking the product, it's about killing the bacteria. Expose those unsealed cans to the air, let alone change the lids, and you're back to square one.

You will have overcooked product. It would be best to just eat it.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Thanks guys, I looked in the owner manual and it said to basically start from square one, so yeah Im eating salmon for the next few days. Made a salmon melt tonight, and eating salmon chowder tomorrow, not such a bad problem after all.

would be easy to freeze them, won't burst the jars, if you don't want to eat them all this week. agree with pid that re-canning would require starting over.

but yeah, chowder, mmmmm. chowder freezes well too...

4 out of 9 means you are doing something wrong. Out of 20 or so I will occiasionally get one that doesnt seal. You are either putting too much fish in the jar and not leaving enough headspace, or are not screwing the lid down to a tight enough ( yet loose enough to vent gases) that little tiny pieces of fish are getting on the sealing part of the lid underneath. Before I lid them I wipe down each and every lip of the jar, and visually inspect each one before the band gets screwed down.

Also - you can re-process and you wont be able to tell the difference between a single processing and a dual - think about it - you've already cooked the fish for 110 minutes at pressure....its was "done" within the first 5minutes. NEVER EVER under any circumstances go less than the recommended time AT PRESSURE or you will be setting yourself up for a bad sickness whether you have processed once or not. Also - do not re-use the lid you tried the first time.

All of this is laid out in the book that came with your canner. If you dont have the book - go to the Cooperative Extension Services Webpage for UAF and all you ever wanted to know is there.

I have frozen jars before when I screw up and get a bunch that don't seal.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.