Thread: Whitetail??

Default Whitetail??

Okay here goes... I am moving out to the Anchorage area in early September and would like some help with/info. What species of deer or like size animals are common to the area? I like to hunt but I'm not so sure I would have a need/want to shot something the size of a moose. As you all may have guessed I'm an east coaster and would like to get a feel for the area wildlife that fits this type of hunting. Any additional info someone would like to throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, would a .45 caliber sidearm be sufficient while out fishing or hiking?

Thanks

Your not gonna find anything in ANC bowl except the occasional black tail deer. Your gonna have to do some coastal hunting to find deer. Unless you wanna go after a caribou.

Black bear are about the right size, only other option is sheep and they are all draw only near town and hard to draw at that. Just go moose hunting, as long as you take care of the meat in the field I will take all you can't eat.

.45 is a people gun. It is better than a sharp stick but not really bear medicine. I carry a 10mm and like it with hot loads but most prefer a big wheel gun in at least 41 mag w/ 44 mag being the most common side arm. That said the most recent highly publicized bear defense shooting was w/ a 45 and the hiker walked away uninjured and the bear is very dead... It wasn't a big bear though...

There are no whitetail deer in Alaska. A rogue one or two might cross over from the Yukon Territories on occassion, but no, there are no whitetail to hunt. As others have mentioned, there are good populations of blacktailed deer in portions of Alaska, but not in the Anchorage area. Blacktail are coastal rainforest deer, so you'll find them primarily in Southeast (think south of Juneau), Prince William Sound, and Kodiak. All of these areas require either airplane or boat access to get into deer hunting.

Black bear is an excellent animal to get started with in Alaska. There are lots of them, the seasons are long, the meat can be excellent and the hide makes a nice reminder of the hunt. Caribou is another option that is easier to hunt and to take care of than a moose, but you'll need to either fly out or drive ~700 miles to hunt them. There are other options, of course - sheep, goat, etc - but logistically speaking black bear is a great place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    T.

Black bear is an excellent animal to get started with in Alaska. There are lots of them, the seasons are long, the meat can be excellent and the hide makes a nice reminder of the hunt.
    You can even sell the hide now!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

No whitetail in Alaska which is the only drawback to living here IMO. Ahh well... if anything, it gives you a reason to go on vacation in October or November after Moose season.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

There are no whitetail deer in Alaska. A rogue one or two might cross over from the Yukon Territories on occassion, but no, there are no whitetail to hunt.
    Brian, you must be thinking of Mule deer. Whitetails are as scarce in the Yukon Territories as they are in Alaska.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Brian, you must be thinking of Mule deer. Whitetails are as scarce in the Yukon Territories as they are in Alaska.
    While I know there have been recorded instances of mule deer, I've seen a picture or two of a whitetail that were supposedly taken in Alaska some 20-30 years ago. I wasn't there to verify, hence the "might", but some folks claim it has happened.

While I know there have been recorded instances of mule deer, I've seen a picture or two of a whitetail that were supposedly taken in Alaska some 20-30 years ago. I wasn't there to verify, hence the "might", but some folks claim it has happened.
    Now there are some pictures I'd love to see. Any idea where they claim they were taken?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Now there are some pictures I'd love to see. Any idea where they claim they were taken?
    Somewhere off the Tok Cutoff, or so the story goes.

Well, there's at least one whitetail in Alaska, currently residing in my freezer. On second thought, not all of him is still there. Hunting big game near Anchorage is limited to moose, sheep and black bears. As previously pointed out, most moose and all sheep are draw permits but there are plenty of black bears. Almost forgot, drawings for a limited number of grizzly permits is also done.

Why not consider some small game hunting while you get settled in?

Pretty doable in the Anch. area, good hunting adventures without the protein commitment of a moose. You'll get plenty of scouting and field time for when you decide that 500,000 wolves can't be wrong and go for Bullwinkle.

Otherwise black bear is the closest thing to what you describe.

There are 3 here since 2 are in my freezer.
    Paul