Thread: This kind of ticks me off.

Default This kind of ticks me off.

Ivan Vale is an old sheep hunter in his 70s who still tries to go every single year. He has hunted all of the different ranges and has taken 7 different rams from the DCUA. One of the professors at UAF decided to crank him up a bit and put him on a party hunt. As luck would have it they both got drawn and scheduled their hunt. Ivan is a retired firefighter and is in pretty darned good shape from a lifetime of sheephunting and preparing for sheephunting.

Well the professor comes over to Ivan's house looks at all of his sheep mounts and then tells him that he isn't going to go. It kind of leaves this guy who bases his whole life around sheep hunting in a very bad spot.

It kind of just ticks me off.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Sad, wish I could go w/ him! I have the tag and everything, just no ticket home from the sandbox... I can only imagine what a privilege it would be to hunt with someone who has so much life experience. If my wife wasn't in school costing me a fortune I would just quit this job and fly home... Hope he finds a way to salvage the season!!

Kaboku,

Tried to PM you...but your inbox is full. Which permit did he draw?

There nothing stopping him from going and taking pictures, you donít have to kill something to have fun.

If it ticks you off, do something about it. Take him with you!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    '... If my wife wasn't in school costing me a fortune I would just quit this job and fly home..."
    WOW! Bet that makes her day!
    Maybe - I am "Mr. Sensitivity" after all
    I too hope his sheep hunt works out. If not, I'm sure the gentleman will "make it anther year" in-spite of the set back.
    Joe (Ak)

And they say kids say the darnedest things. LLR out the window
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I can't go because of an Alaskan legal statute that is part of the Teacher contract. Teachers get a lot of scouting and fishing time but are stuck around hunting season. Part of our contract states You can't take a leave of absence during the first contractual day of school. It really is important for nontenured teachers. I am tenured but the deal is the HR still stabs you with a shiv if you don't show up that first day.
    It causes you great professional pain. I can and am going in around labor day- however, his permit is for the first part of the season. I am going back probably in the South Wrangells. There are some good places down there yet.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

If it's not opening week or September 15th till 30th I'll pack any ones sheep out.

i wish the best for ivan...sounds like he needs a packer. hell if i werent busy guiding i'd go just to pick the guys brain a little and enjoy the company of a seventy year old sheep hunter (praying the whole time that i'll be mountain hunting at that age...or dead, either one

interesting thread...let us know how it goes...i got a feeling that if he's got enough salt at seventy to plan for a sheep hunt, then he'll find a way to find help getting one off the mountain...hell, tell him to call kotton...he sounds game.

That has to suck for Ivan! If I wasn't heading out, would be more than willing to join him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    There nothing stopping him from going and taking pictures, you don’t have to kill something to have fun.
    If I read correct Ivan is in his 70's and planned on a two man trip until the UAF professor came down with penis envy. Sometimes its best to have someone around for safety (not to mention discussions over coffee after a day of hunting) - especially for what could possibly be your last sheep hunt of a lifetime. If Ivan took that many sheep in his life I doubt he's interested in one last hike up the mountain just to take a few pictures... I'm sure he already has plenty. I'd bet he's looking forward to another hunt and possibly one last trip up the mountain.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.