Thread: Headed up the week of Aug. 24th - 31st. Need some information.

Question Headed up the week of Aug. 24th - 31st. Need some information.

Making a trip up Aug. 24th -31st. Will be flying into Anchorage and doing the rv thing. Will be wanting to do mostly bank fishing.
    Which direction do you guys recommend? Headed north up the Parks Hwy. are going south? Thanks

Please any information would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    Dc

That is a great time to be fishing in Alaska. There will be active silver salmon runs in places all over the state. I would recommend buying a book like the "highway angler". It describes run timing and access points throughout the state as well as providing lure suggestions and the species available in all of the roadway streams. Your question is very broad so try asking about specific areas and species and you will likely get more information. Good Luck and enjoy your trip.
    Greg

I'd hit Ship Creek in Anchorage, then south to Bird Creek and maybe Res. Creek in Hope. If you choose to go North there are many options there as well, like GregT said, it all depends on what your after...

Hey Rockndc, my dad and two brothers and I are headed up there the 20th - 29th. We fly into Anchorage and drive up to Talkeetna for a day, touring Denali for a day, then headed down to Ninilchik for a couple of days (one day of Halibit based on best weather). Mostly doing guides since it will be our first trip there. Probably will do a little "roadside" fishing also although tough to get a rented RV too far off the highway. Looking forward to getting up there too. 106 degrees in Fort Worth, Texas yesterday!

Today high of mid 60s lows in upper 40s. This is t shirt and shorts weather for us. For you, better bring a sweater.

Yep. Did the Glacier Bay cruise with the wife last year so I understand the "layering" thing. Just hoping the rain lets up so the rivers clear in the next couple of weeks. Should be a fun trip, regardless (except for four snoring men in an RV for 7 days).

Sorry Rockndc. Didn't mean to take over your thread. If it helps, what I've researched shows you can't go wrong heading down south, between Coopers Landing to Soldotna for roadside fishing. many of the banks that are closed, open up after 15 August. Fishing regs can be a little tricky so if you don't use a guide, be sure to have a copy of the ADFG regs with you and study it closely. Should be good for Silvers and Rainbows in late August.

you texas boys better watch out! Us ohio people (my wife and i) will be touring the state also from aug.24th thru sept.4th in a rv too. sounds like we are going to go north first then south to seward for some barn door fishin. i hope some of these fine alaska folks give us some good info! thanks for all the help guys

Theres no fish in alaska where did you hear that? :wink: If you want AMAZING fishing head down the denali highway and fish tangle lakes. Area is jam packed full of grayling and its beautiful up there
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee