Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reputation points

Default Reputation points

I don't see any way to reduce anybody's rep points. Is this possible? Doesn't seem right to be able to add, but not subtract. As it is now, a guy can post any old kind of inflammatory, insulting post without getting called on it by their peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I think only the mods can take away.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

The mod giveth and mod taketh away. Blessed be the name of the mod.

Phish is correct, and as far as I am aware I am the only one that has used the power. But in my defense something had to be done when the 20th fake "they're out" drawing thread was started!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    The mod giveth and mod taketh away. Blessed be the name of the mod.
    To think when you were a boy growing up at the foot of mount Olympus it was customary to sacrifice animals and untainted women to those with powers such as ours!

You are not the only mod who has used the system.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    To think when you were a boy growing up at the foot of mount Olympus it was customary to sacrifice animals and untainted women to those with powers such as ours!
    I try every season to sacrifice as many animals I can, but haven't seen too many untainted women lately

So... what good is the rep system then?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I like your reasoning there Rod, it does definitely seem like you should be able to make it clear to some of the ranters, or better yet just make it clear to other readers that some of these Rantings and Ravings are not considered cool or acceptable, they often soon fade into nonexistence but for new folks, it'd be cool if somehow the problem causers would have several little Bars of Red under their name or something. Negative Reputation? It works in the real world. maybe not so accurately tho

On the second question, it is pretty encouraging for some. The first time I figured out how to check my rep pts (quite a while after getting started here) I was totally amazed that some folks actually appreciated what I had written about certain things,

Man that was encouraging. So now, I love to do it for well written thoughts and good instructional stuff.
    It also motivates me to tighten up my own show and make what I write count rather than just react to what someone is ranting about.

Make sure that guy knows we appreciate what they are doing.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Problem children (however few we have) tend to make themselves known clearly in the words that they enter here, we don't really need red boxes to make that clear.

The big benefit is exactly what KR found when he checked his rep for the first time. There are MANY users that never say a word on the forum but will drop a quick "thank-you" in the rep box. It is very nice to know that something you have posted was useful or appreciated by someone.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Problem children (however few we have) tend to make themselves known clearly in the words that they enter here, we don't really need red boxes to make that clear.

The big benefit is exactly what KR found when he checked his rep for the first time. There are MANY users that never say a word on the forum but will drop a quick "thank-you" in the rep box. It is very nice to know that something you have posted was useful or appreciated by someone.
    good post Jon... i would rep you for it but you still owe me 473 from that 500 point bill year before last
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ahhhh, I remember my first rep point, seems so long ago now.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Ohhh, I see now,..... an I was wonderin' how those guys got to bo so cool (or is it soooo green)

Shoot, "back in the sandbox," 5000 something posts, and SO Reputable,

"Who are these people anyway?"
    there's another reason for Neg Reps, bring some of these guys back down to earth a little bit

hope it's not too hot over there when he reads this,
    Lujon, it's a Cool 52F in Kdk today. lightly misting on your face as we walk to the fishing grounds.....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Sounds better than here!! I would love to be looking for deer at the moment. Instead I am working on setting up computer stuff in a tent that is god awful hot! Been a few years since I had to drag cables in triple digit heat w/ no AC but thankfully I am almost done with this project and will be off to the next one in a couple days. I don't know how hot it was today but it was physically painful in direct sun. I mean, stand there for a minute in direct sun with bare arms and they hurt like you were hitting them with a heat gun.

well, 12 months and 6 days till I head out for sheep....

Default Ouch!

well, 12 months and 6 days till I head out for sheep....
    You've got more patience than I.

I dont so much care about how to take them away, I've never been able to figure out how to give them out!

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    I dont so much care about how to take them away, I've never been able to figure out how to give them out!
    The little star at the lower left, just under everyone's avatar box, location and post count - click it. ;-)

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

See... I've been doing that, just tried it again and you still only have 2!

Default I'm guessing your post count has something to do with it.

Type up a storm, trust me. ;-)

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    See... I've been doing that, just tried it again and you still only have 2!
    Well, it's working. the green tabs represent a set number of rep points. I'm not sure how many you need for another green tab, but it's quite a few. I have well over 150 rep comments, and only two tabs. Rest assured the rep system works though. The guys with lots of green tabs have thousands of rep points.

I got your rep comment, by the way. Thanks! Here's a tip: if you hover your mouse pointer over the green rep tabs of another member, a window will pop up telling you how much rep they have, rounded down to the nearest 50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast