Thread: Wanted TOK DS 102 Info

Smile Wanted TOK DS 102 Info

I was a luck winner of the draw this year for the TOK unit for sheep. This has really changed my plans! Always have put in but never won. Anyways, I am looking for any information about this unit. I want the secret spot!!!!Who are the air taxi's for this area? Will be planning on a 10 to 12 day hunt. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

Troy
    907-746-5548

Default ds102

call 40 mile air in tok immediately. Last year I drew a tok permit on Friday, called him Monday morning. When he called me back Monday afternoon, I got the last spot available to fly in on the 8th. The 9th was already full.
    Leif runs a first class operation. Very safe pilot. He will put you in an area where there are sheep - the work is up to you. He also does not drop other hunters in the area when you are there. I was very impressed and would not hesitate to fly with him again.
    Jeff

Default got one also

i'll be getting all the info. i can. some of you guys who have been there before maybe could post some info.

Default Ds102

I won also, and am trying to gather information. I think I've looked at a thousand differnet websites trying to find any information on the area. There's very little info out there. Sounds like taking ATV's up the Robertson or Tok valley's is an option, but a rough ride. At this time, that's what my plan is. I don't plan on flying. I'm leaning toward the Tok valley just because it's open from moose, caribou, griz, black, and everything else at the same time.

I did find that success rates are nearly the same whether you fly, hike or atv. Between 40 to 50%.

Default tok river

can be iffy. if it is high, you might have a tough time on a normal atv. the jacked up pickups and such are probably better if you have access to one.

I wouldn't take an atv back there along the rivers. All it takes (like last year) a lot of rain and those rivers would be far too high. Start setting $50 a side from each weekly paycheck and go and book a flight.

Default Golden Eagle

I used Jim Cummings of Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Delta Junction and would highly recommend him.

Default ATV ride

I would not plan on using an ATV on the Robertson River. The river is moving and it changes throughout the year. I was up there 3 times this year during Aug and Sept. and every time the river changed. During my trip the river would rise and fall enough that you could be trapped back there for some time waiting for the water level to drop. There was no obvious trail along the river to follow so when the river went along the banks you would be forced into the woods, breaking trail. I do not know about the Tok River.

Default TMA

Send me a PM and if I am in a good mood I will suggest an excelent spot to have Leif drop you off.

Default ATV vs Flying

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I wouldn't take an atv back there along the rivers. All it takes (like last year) a lot of rain and those rivers would be far too high. Start setting $50 a side from each weekly paycheck and go and book a flight.
    I think a plane ride is about $800. I have seen more than one ATV totaled at a much higher cost. JMHO