Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear attacks/charges/maulings???

Default Bear attacks/charges/maulings???

Howdy! I would really like to hear some of your "close call" experiences regarding bear charges/maulings/attacks. Please don't hold back on the details if you don't mind. live and learn no doubt.

I would like to read about what went wrong and what could have prevented the encounter.

My wife and I are moving to Alaska in a couple of weeks...so, if you don't mind...educate and scare the Blue Twinkies out of me.

HA! ;)
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

I've actually been stepped on by a brown bear...though the story will have to wait until tomorrow. The hour is getting late!

-Brian

Thumbs up From Todays Anchorage Daily News

Anchor Point jogger survives mauling by grizzly
    YEAR'S FIRST ATTACK: Sow, likely defending cubs, charged out of brush.

By ALEX deMARBAN
    Anchorage Daily News

Published: May 31, 2006
    Last Modified: May 31, 2006 at 03:41 AM

Michael Mungoven and his two dogs were jogging the backcountry trail near his Anchor Point home Sunday morning when a full-grown grizzly ripped through the brush like a 400-pound bullet.

The hunched beast stared at him.

"There was a pregnant pause, then things went to heck," Mungoven said by phone from his hospital bed in Homer on Tuesday morning.

It's not legal to reproduce copyrighted materials -- see the rest of the story at http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...-7698478c.html

Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Bear Sighting

Seen A 3 Yr Old Brown Bear In The Lower Skilak Boat Launch Parking Lot Yesterday, Looks Like Its Been Hanging Around The Campground For Awile Now Be Careful Doesn't Seem Afraid At All Of Humans

Humper

No Seals Though

Default Book

There's a book (actually, a series) called, I think, Bear Attacks that's nothing but bear attack stories. I don't recall the author's name. Always good to learn from other people's mistakes/experiences. I highly recomomend the book(s).

Default Bear Attacks...Book

skydiver...

I have that book "Bear Attacks" from a few years ago and I just packed it away for the trip up north. I think that it is an Outdoor Life publication...not sure though. I got it from some book club. Valuable info for sure.

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Those would be Larry Kaniut's books. I really enjoy reading his writings.

Last year I was fishing down at Beach Lake with a friend late at night. On the docks there are a couple of trash cans that never get cleaned out, also people throw away their old bait and cocktail shrimp in these cans. After a couple of weeks they overflow and spread trash everywhere. Well, the trash cans were knocked down and the trash was spread everywhere. I thought some young punks were doing it because they thought it was funny or something. I didnt think much of it. While my friend and I were fishing on the small old dock we heard a noise behind us. It was a small blackie at the edge of the dock eating trash. I was almost positive the bear was going to walk out onto the dock towards us to pick through the rest of the trash. My friend has never seen a wild bear in his life and almost lost it, I suppose starring at a black bear about 20 feet away blocking the dock ramp isnt the best first experience one could hope for. The bear wasnt real aggressive and just walked towards the boat launch and then into the woods.

Default Blackie ran me off a gravel bar on the Kenai

Last October I was fishing for bows off a sandbar at Morgan's Landing. We had seen a large black bear a couple of hundred yards upriver checking out the bars for fish but after about 20 min he went up and over the bank. 30 minutes later I was the only one left fishing and I heard what sounded like a wet dog shaking back up the trail. 10 minutes later I started hearing the woof woof and teeth snapping. I packed up and left. The next day I took photos of the tracks he left where I was sitting. I never saw him when I left, and I was looking pretty hard.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Default Anchor River

A number of years ago I was fishing for Kings on the Anchor River along with approximately half the world's population. To get away from some of the tourists in a crowded hole I decided to fish from the other side. I crossed the river upstream, worked back through the woods, and picked my way through some deep water to a submerged sandbar that sat in front of a slough and started fishing. After a couple of minutes a bunch of gulls started screeching behind me and then there was an enormous splash that got the back of me pretty wet. I turned around and there was a black bear standing in the slough almost within spitting distance of me (he had apparently just jumped off a tall cutbank into the water). We both just stood there for a second looking at each other and I realized I had nowhere to go unless I wanted to start swimming because I was already up to the top of my waders in the water. So, I turned around and started fishing again (careful not to hook the bear on the backcast...) and the opposite bank erupted in flashbulbs as all the tourists got a picture of the moron who apparently didn't realize there was a bear right behind him. The bear moved along to the other side of the slough and back into the woods but his cameo scared enough folks out of the hole that I was able to cross back over and was able to fish it from the better side. Thanks, bear.

I have to say the worst experience was back by Wolverine Peak, located in south Anchorage. This is a long story, and details I think I'm saving for a book on day...

Earlier on our trip up the mountain... We had seen some fresh Bear tracks, so we knew as always to talk, make sure bells on our packs were making decent noise on the way up. Basically while returning from our hike, we were traveling down a skinny path through some brush.. not making any noise because we were sooo tired. As we rounded the trail making a u-turn around a corner... My friends girlfriend screamed BEAR!!!

It was clearly a brown bear, female and she was pretty upset at the fact we scared her. I've been bluff charged several times in my life... As well my friends. We knew what to do, which was stay close. Her charges and sizing us up was not your normal charges. We thought this was it! I've also never heard a bear in all my experiences make a noise... She grunted and paced.

I thought we were going to die... I thought in my own head this is it... of all the ways I would go, I was going to be a meal.

We could not go back, because it was up hill. We could not go through the brush because it was all devils clubs. The bear had the trail.

We finally got sick of it, sun was going down, (August) and we had to get going or die. So we planned on our own charge.

We slowly dropped our packs, took off our jackets, and when she turned away from us, we put our jackets over our head and took two steps forward yelling like there was no tomorrow. She flew into the brush... but stayed there.

I was voted to take the lead... we made our noise like crazy people almost in tears and moved passed her down the trail. At the same time the bear moved up further in the brush away from us.

Much more to the story.. we got lost in the dark, but managed to make it back to the car once the moon came back out. I'll never forget that... and to this day I'm so so so careful out there.

Cheers!

Alaska HDTV

Default Thanks to All...

AK Guy...Pryde...Casper50...All of you for that mater...

What an experience! And all lived to tell about it no doubt. I know someone who did the same as far as charging the bear and everything came out OK with the whole confrontation. Probably not recommended but last resorts are last resorts. Thanks to all of you for responding to my post. It is one thing to read about it in a book but it is different/better for me anyway to read about it here.

I have learned so far, not to fear but to respect these creatures and use common sense, carry a big gun and or pepper spray. HA!

We are almost finished packing here in Oregon, my wife and I will head out within a few days for the two week drive up north. A move that has been coming for almost 26-years now. It has been many moons since I have felt Butterflies in my gut and all I can say is they are back with a vengeance and it feels like they have been pumping iron. Again....HA! ;)

Be Safe..............Ed

Default Larry's Bear attack website

http://www.kaniut.com/

The Gene Moe story is pretty riviting a brow: he survived a bear attack armed with a Buck 110 and fists.Gene is a real great guy to talk with, as well.
    pretty humble about it. He gave a lot of credit to the folks that rendered first aid and helped evacuate him.
    I, so far have not had any bad scrapes with bears. I have seen a few browns ran into several blackies, nose to mose with a black bear in the Huachuca Mountains-he was turning and running just as I came around a tree.
    Rob

Great books I agree! Larry Kaniut was my high school English teacher. He made us read his book and I believe proof-read one that was not released yet ha!

A great guy and an unusual character!

Books are well worth a read and resource...
    Cheers :)
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-07-2006 at 08:44.

Alaska HDTV

I have told these stories on the AOD several times, but they really amount to this -

I know three people who had been attacked by brownies. I know zero people who have been attacked by blackies.

My grandfather got his leg chewed on, and Harley got ate.

In my years here, I have not had a single bad encounter with any bears, and, I have seen a lot of em... as in A LOT!

During the summers of 82-84 I worked on the Snettisham Powerline, and running into bears was pretty much a daily occurance.

My story gets to take a change this year. I had my first unnerving encounter in my own frigging yard!

I take quite a few photos of bears (mostly blackies) on the road system here in Juneau. Several photos are from just a few feet away. I have started watching their eyes a lot more after reviewing the pics. I had one bear that was not only intent on staring at me, but, would have stepped on me had I not moved. He was building his buffer zone, and there is no doubt in my mind. So, I started avoiding him later in the season. Most of them, when they became aware of me, would stare off into space and wait for me to stand down. Which, I always do - and, we all get along hunky dunk.

Then, in October I was working on the porch with a friend. A small blackie walked by the place, and I thought, "Cool - one last picture this year and I don't even have to leave the yard!" I went inside and grabbed my camera and started walking through the yard. As I came around to the back, the bear was there about 20 feet away or so. Before I could raise my camera he sort of snorted and hopped at me. I think I said something like "WHOA THERE!"

He didn't get his picture taken. I went back inside and started laughing at how embarrassed I'd have been to have been beaten up by a little black bear in my own yard.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

"In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

My son and I spent most of this past summer building a cabin in a very remote part of the Kenai Peninsula. In early August my 13 year old daughter joined us for a week. One evening we had a "cabin warming" and invited everyone in the area over...all four people and two dogs. A great time was had by all until my daughter went out to the picnic table we had set up outside to get a cookie. Unfortunately, a bear was there first and did the same snort/hopping thing that Soggy describes. My terrified daughter burst into the cabin in screaming hysterics.

I went out to chase the bear off only to encounter the same aggressive behavior. This was a mistake as I was better armed than my daughter. I went back inside and told my daughter the bear wouldn't be scaring her anymore and she surprised me by insisting on seeing it. We went back outside and when she saw the dead bear she threw her arms around me and said "thank you daddy".

Not knowing what else to say, I said "I shot that bear because he chased you. She acknowledged this, so I said "pretty soon boys are going to be chasing you...make sure they know about the bear".

She hates this story.

Default Better book

If you want to really learn something about bears and bear attacks pick up Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by Stephen Herrero. This book is the result of decades of research on bear attacks and is very informative. Not just stories to entertain, frighten or add to the hype.

Blair

Default I was stupid

Russian river opening day. 5:30am. fishing fever hitting me hard. Head down out of rainbow trout campground alone (yes I was an Idiot) Beautiful morning, sun coming up, happy to be here live here time etc etc. I hit one of the boardwalks, head down and silent planning about my day of bow fishing in my head. I get about 100 feet down the boardwalk and look up. Oh my. Hello Mr Brown bear. So I quickly peed myself (not really but i thought i was going to) So he stands on his hind legs and starts winding me. Im doing the hey bear and waving my hands and am moon walking like Michael Jackson backwards off the boardwalk. He just looks. Ears up and is not aggressive. I just get to the end of the board walk and he drops and bolts straight towards me. Im screaming (like a 3rd grader). Bear hits the brakes about 10 feet from me and stands up again. Im thinking Holy %$^##%^%&%&%^*%^&%$%$ if this bear eats me and i live my wife is gonna kill me> I just keep backing off around a small corner untill I cant see him anymore. Then i run like mad. I think there are 67 steps up the stairs at rainbow trout. I hit 3. As i get back to camp gasping and commentiing to my self my wife looks out the camper door as Im makeing a Rum and Coke at 5:45am Then she looks into my eyes and see's me shaking like a leaf. All she could say ways "that close huh" and she let it be. I knew better but just was focused on bows. I have not done that again nor will I
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    If you want to really learn something about bears and bear attacks pick up Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by Stephen Herrero. This book is the result of decades of research on bear attacks and is very informative. Not just stories to entertain, frighten or add to the hype.

Blair
    Here here! Best book by far over the years. Herrero's observations are pretty spot on. Animals talk.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Chuck, I had a similar experience to yours on the Russian except that mine was with a moose.

I had forgotten my filet knife up at the car, and we had been fishing upstream during the days of 6 per day sockeye. We had our limit, and carrying them back would have been difficult, so, I decided to hike to the car and get the knife.

Right near the turn in the trail that heads up toward the parking area, I ran into a cow with a calf. She was already in fighting mode, and, lucky for me there was tree slanting out over the stream. I was able to make it up about 15' to a nice perch where I could wait for her to leave.

She and the calf ambled into the bushes, and, I didn't have any problem with waiting until I felt she was gone since they were already out of sight... a few extra minutes wouldn't hurt.

Of course, I had to feel the embarrassment as people started walking by and I am up a tree in my waders greeting them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast