Thread: Big boss 6x6

Default Big boss 6x6

I was a few hours away from taking the plunge on the 2010 Big boss 6x6. I had the financing approved and was just about to call Big Lake Powersports and have them start putting it together. It was going to be a big boss with 27" ITP's, a 3500lb winch and hand and thumb warmers. Then I found out Polaris just anounced the 2011's and a few very significant changes. They streamlined the front end, raised the radiator and tilted it to keep it out of the mud and also added a larger radiator that should help the slowspeed overheating problems that the 800 has been notorious for and they also put a new front box/rack on it that can be swapped out for a regular rack. Not to mention, it looks a whole lot better! So now I have to wait at least a couple months I am guessing. Its killing me. I sure could use it right now for my archery griz hunt coming up and cabin trips. Anyone else looking at picking up the new 6x?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

SWEET! Looks like it got the new body style. I looked at the new tilted radiator on the wheeler and liked it.

so what are those "significant" changes going to cost the working man?
    guess that means I'm going to have to wait a few more years to get my used one.

I'm all about the used ones, personally. I cannot fathom a circumstance where an 800 would be necessary. We used to do all of our hunting with 125s, with my father on his "big" 185 pulling the trailer. When he upgraded to a 250 it was like a dream! New machines are great, of course, but I've been more than pleased with my 500 6x6. I do like the shaft drive on the new ones, but over 10k for a wheeler? I don't use mine enough to justify that. There are some steals on used ones if you are patient.

Heck, I guess what it really comes down to is that I'm cheap. Hopefully this further presses down the prices on the mid-2000 models, as we need one for my wife.

Geez i got a buddy whos gonna sell his 09 6x6 800 to me for 7000 i have an 04 with 800 miles on it that is in great shape i was thinking around 4800-4500 for my machine are the problems with 09 6x6 really problems or just headaches also what do you think of my price for my machine thanks

Default i had a 97 model.

i think they are quite different nowadays. they went to shaft drive and things like that. what else has changed on them since then?

the 2009-2011's have an 800cc engine, shaft drive, longer and wider with more seat room, fully independent suspension at all 6 corners and ride like a dream! You can also run 27" mud lites on the rear with no clearance problems as they put more space between the axles. I could have done without the 800 engine, but the other improvements make it justifyable to me. I drove a few of my neighbors rigs up at my cabin and the difference is significant! And now the difference between the 2010 and 2011 is the radiator moved to the top from the bottom of the grill to get it up out of the mud, made a regular rack that you can swap out on the front, beefed up the frame in a few key places and changed the angle on the front rack and fenders so you can see down in front of you better. I am chomping at the bit to get one for hunting and the cabin!

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Geez i got a buddy whos gonna sell his 09 6x6 800 to me for 7000 i have an 04 with 800 miles on it that is in great shape i was thinking around 4800-4500 for my machine are the problems with 09 6x6 really problems or just headaches also what do you think of my price for my machine thanks
    I would jump on that. I dont think they are real problems, but the new on has some definite improvements. I would jump on a used one if I could find it, but I am not going to buy a new one right now when in a few months a new one is coming out with these improvements for the same price. The dealers I talked to refuse to deal on the 2010s even after the anouncement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm all about the used ones, personally. I cannot fathom a circumstance where an 800 would be necessary. We used to do all of our hunting with 125s, with my father on his "big" 185 pulling the trailer. When he upgraded to a 250 it was like a dream! New machines are great, of course, but I've been more than pleased with my 500 6x6. I do like the shaft drive on the new ones, but over 10k for a wheeler? I don't use mine enough to justify that. There are some steals on used ones if you are patient.

Heck, I guess what it really comes down to is that I'm cheap. Hopefully this further presses down the prices on the mid-2000 models, as we need one for my wife.
    I'm with Brian on this one! Used wheelers are like used cars...someone else has taken the plunge and dropped the minimum ten percent as they rolled it off the lot. If you are patient, you can find a really good deal on a used machine, often only a year or two old and seventy-fve percent or less of new price. The new ones are nicer....they ride a lot better and handle better, but new machines crumple just like old machines when you pack one in. Also, a lot of the new machines are getting pretty sophisticated and I'm kinda old school...I like being able to tear one down on the trail with minimum tools and get it going again. I like my ten year old Yamaha wheeler and it keeps up with the new machines I ride with. I do need to get one for my wife and I think I will get a newer (4-5 year old) with a variable transmission. I just can't bring myself to drop upwards of ten grand on a wheeler.

Sorry for the highjack...it does sound like the new Polaris machines with the improvements will be better in a lot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Same here Brian. It'll be a few years, but when we are ready to buy a new (to us) 6X6 it will be an 800 with shaft drive. But my wife has already says that it will be HER wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Same here Brian. It'll be a few years, but when we are ready to buy a new (to us) 6X6 it will be an 800 with shaft drive. But my wife has already says that it will be HER wheeler.
    Yep, and you will be driving the mini van and the old beater wheeler My wife saw some guy today with an old beat up truck with a bumper sticker "I love my wife"...she said she wanted to get one for me (she drives the 09 Highlander, I drive the 96 subaru) and yes, I love my wife!

Default newish features

I only buy used too, but do get newish looking that have been garaged always and only ridden to church on Sunday by a little old lady. OK, made up that last part, but the rest is real.

Regarding the good old days, I don't cherish the lesser tires, chain drives, and carburetors. You just can't beat great rubber, shaft drive, and fuel injection.

Default i had tracks on mine

that thing could cross some nasty wet stuff without even blinking with the rear tracks. it was kind of like between a wheeler and an argo.

I have been looking at the 6x6 sportsman 800efi as well. What has the reliability been like with this model?