Thread: Moose river hunt

Default Moose river hunt

Planning a moose hunt on the moose river. Would like some advice about a good route for a four day trip. Two people, 17' grumman freighter. Experienced in the outdoors but new to hunting and canoeing. Thanks.

I did this last year, only saw a couple cows and not a lot of willow or browse. Saw a lot of winter sign on the portage trails, but zero summer sign including tracks.

We put in at the east entrance of the Swan Lake route. You can make it to the Moose River from the road in a day and then float back out to the highway in another day, so that leaves you 2 days to explore. There are a few really neat and established camp sites along the way on the river. We spent a few days around Clam Lake, Loon Lake, Moosehorn Lake and didn't see anything. We saw two cows on the river on the way out. This was the second week in September. All in all, we found some great fishing spots and got a lot of exercise, but I would not go back there for the sole purpose of shooting a bull. I'm sure there are moose to be shot in that area, but the pickin's are pretty slim IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TLCotton View Post
    Two people, 17' grumman freighter. Experienced in the outdoors but new to hunting and canoeing. Thanks.
    Hi Cotton. Didn't know Grumman had ever made a 17' freighter. Do you mean a Grumman 17 square stern canoe? How wide is your rig?

Ya, I guess I shouldnt have used the word freighter, just a square stern. I think its 36" wide. I hear alot of talk about the east entrance would this work with such a heavy canoe. Any advice on any other locations. I'm really just looking for a nice mellow river with maybe the chance to take a moose, with a bow or rifle. Thanks so much.

Default South

Quote Originally Posted by TLCotton View Post
    Ya, I guess I shouldnt have used the word freighter, just a square stern. I think its 36" wide. I hear alot of talk about the east entrance would this work with such a heavy canoe. Any advice on any other locations. I'm really just looking for a nice mellow river with maybe the chance to take a moose, with a bow or rifle. Thanks so much.
    Sorry friend, can't tell you about Alaskan rivers for moose. I live in the sunny midwest where we have 150lb whitetails and coyotes. And armadillos. And 100 degree weather today.
    Anyway, I think that 17'X36" canoe might not be big enough to haul out a moose. I've got a 17' Osagian Cargo, which is comparable to the 19' Grummans and I don't think even those two are refered to in Alaska as a true 'freighter' or 'canot du nord'.

We used to do this trip when I was a kid; after we actually got one moose out of there, we never went back (for moose, anyway). You think your canoe is heavy! Wait 'til you have to portage that and 600 pounds of meat! And don't shoot them in the water. That is a VERY bad idea. IMO I would hold off on hunting this area until you have more experience both hunting and canoeing. Try road hunting this area, or short hikes in. There's an archery season opening in about 8 days.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg