Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: unit 13 3 browtine hunt

  1. #1
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default unit 13 3 browtine hunt

    Swear I read it somewhere whats going on am I loosing it, was it bogus, WOW
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    I read it too; was it a post from res? I frankly don't remember. Looking....

    Ah yes, here it is. It was a post from res:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...l=1#post779369

  3. #3
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    I will be heading to F&G to see what the scoop is on Monday...hmmmmm ..maybe my hunting season WILL be better then my fishing season..

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member sigabrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southcentral
    Posts
    174

    Default

    F&G has info up on their site. See http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/news/gmu13courtdecision.php for Hunt update and FAQ.

  5. #5
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Copy/Paste from the ADFG link:

    GMU 13 Hunt Update

    Caribou:
    The GMU 13 Tier 1 Caribou Hunt RC566 has been partially restored. Permit holders can hunt from August 10 – September 20. Permit conditions have changed – see below.

    1500 additional permits have been added to the Tier 1 hunt for the fall season. Hunters were selected from the most recent Tier I applicant pool and from past participants in the Community Harvest Program. Hunters must comply with all permit conditions – see below. Permits will be posted on this site by Friday August 6th. Permits will not be mailed. Your permit will be available for pick‐up at the ADF&G regional office listed on the website by Friday August 6th. If you have made other hunt plans, or you cannot comply with the permit conditions, you do not have to accept the permit. If you hold other permits for moose or caribou outside GMU 13 for this regulatory year, but would prefer to use your Tier I Nelchina caribou permit, you will need to turn in your other permit(s) when you come in to Fish and Game.


    Tier 1 permit conditions
    1.
    The season opens August 10 and closes September 20, unless closed earlier by Emergency Order. You may not hunt in the winter hunt with a Tier 1 permit.

    2.
    Tier 1 permit holders, and members of their households, may not hunt moose or caribou anywhere outside of Unit 13 during this regulatory year (July 1, 2010 – June 30, 2011).

    3.
    The bag limit is one caribou (not one bull) per household, unless changed by Emergency Order
    4.
    Antlers from bull caribou must be removed from the skull plate or the skull plate must be cut in half.

    5.
    Antlers may be taken from the kill site.

    6.
    Hunters awarded new permits may refuse their permit if they want to hunt moose or caribou elsewhere in the state.

    7.
    Hunters with existing permits may not relinquish their permits.


    There will also be a winter Tier 2 caribou hunt from October 21 – March 31. Hunters can apply online, or pick up paper permits at Fish and Game offices beginning Friday August 6th. Permits must be received (not post‐marked) in Anchorage Palmer, Fairbanks or Glennallen offices by September 30.

    Tier 2 permit conditions
    1.
    The season opens October 21 and closes March 31, unless closed earlier by Emergency Order.

    2.
    No more than two Tier 2 permits will be issued per household.

    3.
    The bag limit is one caribou (not one bull) per regulatory year, unless changed by Emergency Order (if you harvest a caribou in the fall Tier I season, you will have met your annual state bag limit for caribou in GMU 13).


    Moose:
    There is an addition to the GMU 13 moose season. Hunters may take 1 bull with spike‐fork or 50‐inch antlers or antlers with 3 or more brow tines on at least one side from August 15 through August 25, 2010. During the original September 1‐20 season the bag limit remains 1 bull with spike‐fork or 50‐inch antlers or antlers with 4 or more brow tines on at least one side.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Can anyone give an explanation for the moose hunt addition? I have a cabin in 13E and I certainly haven't seen moose #s that warrant the additional 10 days and reduced restrictions.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Can anyone give an explanation for the moose hunt addition? I have a cabin in 13E and I certainly haven't seen moose #s that warrant the additional 10 days and reduced restrictions.
    Pacification of the Special Human Species.

    One must understand that Up Here we don't manage our resources biologically. Many facets play into the equation, not the least of which is Resource Allocation Based On Emotion. Certainly not Pure Genius, but it gets us through each year and something New to look for the next year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Sockeye, the recent court ruling over the lawsuit pertaining to the Community Harvest program being unconstitutional took away the community moose harvests. In lieu of that, the Board of Game added this additional 10-day opportunity for all.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Sockeye, the recent court ruling over the lawsuit pertaining to the Community Harvest program being unconstitutional took away the community moose harvests. In lieu of that, the Board of Game added this additional 10-day opportunity for all.
    Yup,
    Thanks BR for telling it like it truly is.
    And Kudo's should be going out to Ken Manning and the guy in the black robe. They made it happen. Without their actions, the BOG would have been allowed to continue placing unlawful regulations on us. Dang shame that it has to be sorted out in this manner, but we have grown accustomed to it. The BOG decisions should be carefully examined with a jaundice eye...each and every decision.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yup,
    Thanks BR for telling it like it truly is.
    And Kudo's should be going out to Ken Manning and the guy in the black robe. They made it happen. Without their actions, the BOG would have been allowed to continue placing unlawful regulations on us. Dang shame that it has to be sorted out in this manner, but we have grown accustomed to it. The BOG decisions should be carefully examined with a jaundice eye...each and every decision.
    Man sometimes res you write stuff that makes me do a double take. I often find myself wondering just how old you are especially considering the term "jaundiced eye" was in semi-common use in the early 1700's! If you keep saying thing like that people will assume you are either well read or at least 175 years old!

    Alexander Pope in "An Essay on Criticism" (1711), wrote: “All seems infected that the infected spy, As all looks yellow to the jaundiced eye.”

  11. #11
    Member mod elan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glennallen
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Can anyone give an explanation for the moose hunt addition? I have a cabin in 13E and I certainly haven't seen moose #s that warrant the additional 10 days and reduced restrictions.
    It's sickening. In two years we went from a moose population that was on a slow rebound to any bull hunts, reinstatement of non-res tags, and now additional seasons and reduced restrictions! I agree. I do not see the moose numbers to warrant any of this.

  12. #12

    Default

    Hopefully the BOG will recognize the wisdom of the courts and continue this hunt as one of tradition. It is a Golden Opportunity for school marms, people with kids wanting to kill a moose and for the State workers who usually can't take leave during peak hunting seasons. A real good chance for Alaskans to kill off the tweeners(3 Brow Tiners) and leave the Trophy Bulls (4 Brow Tiners) to the Sport Hunters. There are a lot of the tweeners that die of old age, because they never develop the fourth brow. Now they will be harvested and put on our Dinner Plates.

    lujon;
    I am just a real quick learner. A product of coping with governmental agencies.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Right on I wasn't loosing it! Thanks for the replies I feel more sane than I felt last night
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Hopefully the BOG will recognize the wisdom of the courts and continue this hunt as one of tradition. It is a Golden Opportunity for school marms, people with kids wanting to kill a moose and for the State workers who usually can't take leave during peak hunting seasons. A real good chance for Alaskans to kill off the tweeners(3 Brow Tiners) and leave the Trophy Bulls (4 Brow Tiners) to the Sport Hunters. There are a lot of the tweeners that die of old age, because they never develop the fourth brow.
    How many old strict female teachers (school marms) do I know that hunt moose any time of the year? Not many. I have kids and still do the most with the time I have. Can't say much about the state workers except that I know a few and they never have trouble getting the time off they want as long as they plan ahead.

    Furthermore, adding a non-resident hunt (permit only) to unit 13 was foolish at best imo, and this simply adds to what seems to be misguided logic. I am a hypocrit in that I still hunt in unit 13, and even though it is more difficult to harvest a moose with the old restrictions, I believed that it was justified due to decreased #'s.

    I have been a participant in the aerial wolf hunting program the last few years, and I've actively hunted an overabundance of bears in unit 13. The moose #'s are improving, plain and simple. But they are not anywhere near what they need to be in order to be considered 'healthy'.

    I'm also not a disciple of the 'maximum yield' mentality. There needs to be a delicate balance of predator/prey in any area, and we are part of the 'predator', but there has to be a sustainable # of prey to go after. I wouldn't disagree with a stoppage of hunting at all for moose in unit 13 combined with intense bear control, until moose #'s reached a realistic, sustainable level- then maybe we could remove existing restrictions.

    One admitted caveat is that it is a large unit and I'm only really familiar with a couple subunits, so my soapbox is only limited to 100 square miles or so.

  15. #15
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post

    I have been a participant in the aerial wolf hunting program the last few years, and I've actively hunted an overabundance of bears in unit 13. The moose #'s are improving, plain and simple. But they are not anywhere near what they need to be in order to be considered 'healthy'.

    :
    feel free to pm locations of said bears... I'm still looking for this years...

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  16. #16

    Default

    I really don't see this hunt going more than 1 year. I think it is something to pacify the Tier II rukus going on. We see anywhere from 10-20 different bulls every hunting season and there seems to be more and more moose every year. Not sure what BOG bases their numbers off of to warrant longer seasons or less restrictions, but they know more than me. Like you Sockeye I am only speaking of a 10X10 mile area so there is a lot of variables out there. Also still see a fair amount of bears (mostly sows with 2 or 3 cubs) be their number in my very unscientific account seem to be down which is good that our efforts have helped out. Just gotta quit spotting all the sows with cubs and find the lone bears so we can actually do something about them

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I really don't see this hunt going more than 1 year. I think it is something to pacify the Tier II rukus going on.
    I see it continuing, but with modification each year (the screeeeching and hoooowling ain't never gonna stop). I disagree with you, as to it being about the "Tier ll rukus". I agree with bushrat in that it is meant to appease the Community Harvest Advocates. The BOG attempted to allocate Any Bull moose to the AHTNA communities. But the Judge had to apply the law and order it null. Then and only then did the BOG open it up to All Alaskan's, though slightly modified, to the killing of the tweeners as opposed to any bull.

    It was the Professional State of Alaska Biologists, using the latest Scientific Data and Technical Interpretation, that told the BOG that the additional harvest of the tweeners (3 Brow Tiners) was warrranted and that the herd would not suffer significant biological duress. The BOG relies totally on the knowledge of their paid mouthpieces. Anything you or I might have to say on the matter is irrelevant.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18

    Default Very true Res

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I see it continuing, but with modification each year (the screeeeching and hoooowling ain't never gonna stop). I disagree with you, as to it being about the "Tier ll rukus". I agree with bushrat in that it is meant to appease the Community Harvest Advocates. The BOG attempted to allocate Any Bull moose to the AHTNA communities. But the Judge had to apply the law and order it null. Then and only then did the BOG open it up to All Alaskan's, though slightly modified, to the killing of the tweeners as opposed to any bull.

    It was the Professional State of Alaska Biologists, using the latest Scientific Data and Technical Interpretation, that told the BOG that the additional harvest of the tweeners (3 Brow Tiners) was warrranted and that the herd would not suffer significant biological duress. The BOG relies totally on the knowledge of their paid mouthpieces. Anything you or I might have to say on the matter is irrelevant.
    Res,

    The CHP is what is was reffering to as part of the latest Tier II rukus.

    I agree its good that the BOG listens to the bios. Thats what I meant when I stated that what I see really has no biases for if it warrants longer seasons and less restrictions. Personally I would have liked to see just the season extended or less antler restrictions, but not both. I'll take advantage of it though by golly Even if it means eating my 20A cow tag

    Be interesting to see how this changes next year. I would hope for the longer season with the 4 browtine restriction before they would cut the earlier season.

  19. #19
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Anything you or I might have to say on the matter is irrelevant.
    The BOG listens very closely to the interests of the commercial, guided hunting industry as well.

  20. #20
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    I myself think they are making a big mistake with the new rule. If they want to appease someone then lessen the antler restriction during the normal season or even limit the hunt to specificaly a 3 bow tine moose. For anyone who hunts in unit 13 and has plans for this hunting season in September the evidence is going to be very obviouse how this new rule will affect you. Alot of animals will be butchered before the normal season opens. Slim pickins are to be had for the normal season hunts. I sure hope I am wrong....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •