Thread: Where are some good spots for Black Bear near Eagle River, AK?

Default Where are some good spots for Black Bear near Eagle River, AK?

Im looking for some areas to hunt not too far from home, eagle river, that i would be able to get on some black bears. Kind of new here and just needed some pointers. Thanks

Check the regs real close and then head up those mountains! In the fall look for them on blueberry patches in the alpine. Spotting them isn't too hard, getting up to them is a bit more challenging.

Do yourself a favor and plan a couple of trips into the Kenai Mountains. Glass the ridge tops and I will almost gurantee you will see bears. Again getting to them is a different story. I blew stocks on 3 bears last year but I saw a minimum of ten on five different trips.

Head back behind the ER conservation center. You have to be past Icicle Creek before you can rifle hunt, the walk isn't bad and there are lots of blackies back in there just watch out for the brown's when you heading back in. You will see bears but you have to pick your stalks wisely...Most will be hanging out with the goats in the clouds...

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    Head back behind the ER conservation center. You have to be past Icicle Creek before you can rifle hunt, the walk isn't bad and there are lots of blackies back in there just watch out for the brown's when you heading back in. You will see bears but you have to pick your stalks wisely...Most will be hanging out with the goats in the clouds...
    This is a good option, but you need to get the registration permit before you do so. If I remember correctly, you also have to have taken a hunter education course in order to participate in this hunt. That requirement might have been waived - I'm not sure - but check the regs closely before heading afield.

I just moved to ER myself and am trying to find out where to go also. All my limited experience is with areas N of Fairbanks. If you want to learn together let me know. I sold my business in CO and dragged my wife up here so I'm pretty flexible as far as scheduling is concerned.