Thread: Good afternoon Brian M !!!

Default Good afternoon Brian M !!!

So, Brian,

Did you know that little camera you connected to your computer there to take the occasional picture can be turned on remotely?

It showed you arising early, checking this forum very quickly (possibly too quickly?), and then gathering up your dipnetting stuff to head out for the early FC fish. The audio was muffled but ... something about getting there a few hours before the 10:58am high tide, and maybe limiting out today?

Just kidding about the camera; really it was my crystal ball that indicated all this. How 'bout letting me know if its reception is good or if I need to take it into the shop and get it shined up, OK?

Steve every time I wanna rep you I have to spread it around. Does this magical ball tell us where he sheep hunts at too?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Of course. But I can't tell you or I'd have to then.... you know.

That message means you're being too selective in giving rep; I doesn't cost you nuthin'. There are tons of great posts here every day. Find a cool post that makes you smile and hit'm. Here's a good place to start doing that:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ven-fish-wheel
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 07-31-2010 at 14:05. Reason: to more soft-word the part about killin' him. ;-)

Rep? Secret code word?

Default "Rep"? No, "kill"

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Rep? Secret code word?
    Well, uh... looking at the online record of that today I'd have to say: NO.

I didn't mean to be that cryptic... as the bottom of the post tried to say I didn't want to tell him because then I'd have to kill'm.

So hijack over, back to the subject at hand: Brian:

So, Brian, are you still out there slugging through the mud? Did'ja limit out? Or more importantly, did'ja get enough for your family for the year?

And then the hundred thousand dollar question: Were you surprised when you came back and saw a thread here solely about you?

I had it happen to me (reference: "cheapskate"; thanks Vince), Mainer had it happen to him (reference: "wanted dead or alive"; thanks to me), and elmerkeithclone, ... and today its Brian's turn.

I've got the service call all scheduled for my crystal ball if you tell me I'm wrong Brian.

FM, I'm drinking vodka right now. How 'bout you?

Default takin' a break !

FM, I'm drinking vodka right now. How 'bout you?
    Taking a short break to rest my achin' back - hopefully the two ibuprofen do sink in faster when you wash'm down with a barley pop. Then back to building some custom bookshelves. Fun stuff I think.

I have stayed away from the hard stuff for many years... but do like barley.

P.S. Reminiscent of "Waldo", I do have to ask "Where's Brian?", 'cause he's not on this thread yet. Mike S., did you approve his vacation time???

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    So, Brian,

Did you know that little camera you connected to your computer there to take the occasional picture can be turned on remotely?

It showed you arising early, checking this forum very quickly (possibly too quickly?), and then gathering up your dipnetting stuff to head out for the early FC fish. The audio was muffled but ... something about getting there a few hours before the 10:58am high tide, and maybe limiting out today?

Just kidding about the camera; really it was my crystal ball that indicated all this. How 'bout letting me know if its reception is good or if I need to take it into the shop and get it shined up, OK?
    steve... these kind of internet post are what have most folks pissed at you... just because you know HOW to use a computer... dont mean you should
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Question speaking for many?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    steve... these kind of internet post are what have most folks pissed at you... just because you know HOW to use a computer... dont mean you should
    And just because you know the English words to apparently "speak for many" doesn't mean you should use those words. Speak for yourself, Vince. You know my contact info if you'd rather do it privately. Or if you continue to wish to do it publicly go ahead with that too; its really of no consequence.

I think that other members here are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves; they do not need a mouthpiece. We apparently differ on this point.

One last thing, and I mean no disrespect, but its an interesting little tidbit about you telling me what I should and should not do with a computer: I was using a personal computer professionally, to make a living, the same year that you turned 14 years old.

Vodka is a mere 80 proof.

BTW, do you know the russian word for water is voda. Its all about perspective.

Vodka is a mere 80 proof.

BTW, do you know the russian word for water is voda. Its all about perspective.
    I completely agree about the perspective issue in regards to alcohol. I used to think at one time that I knew people that drank a lot; until my first trip to Europe. The frenchmen, the English, and especially the Germans put my thinking in perspective. I've got some pretty funny stories about how exactly I got learned about that, but only tell those in person, over a beverage.

So, I gotta say: Yes sir, you are spot on.

Interesting tidbit about that Russian word; my foreign language skills are so lacking. For example the only two German phrases I know are:

- I know no German. "Ish schprechen kine deutsche."
    and
    - Five beers please. "Fiere bier, bitte'!"

Funnily enough, that has gottem me through quite a number of trips there. Seriously.

Yep, understand that. My work takes me all over the planet. The first phrases I learn is how to order beer.

That said, and having been every where, Alaska is the best place in the world. Here I sit in Crooked Creek RV park by the fire with my wife and kids. Free, friendly, catching fish. No better place to be.

Let's keep that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I hate to do it but I've gotta hit your rep thingy. It may take me a few minutes to figure out which button to press. I like eye contact a lot more than keyboards.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

FM was joking, he doesn't actually have access to Brian M's camera or likely even know that Brian has a camera or where it would be set up. Without special software installed to give another person access most computers are pretty resistant to infiltration across the web. Mostly because it is pretty hard to find them. If your going to hack stuff there is plenty of "always on" static IP servers out there which have much more valuable info than you are likely to find attempting to bust your way into a home PC. The key to securing your home PC is not letting people on your home network. The most vulnerable people out there are those w/ open wifi home networks especially if you are using the default router pw. Any 14 year old with a meager understanding of computers and access to google can get into your stuff in that case.

Default Thank you for jumping in there LuJon

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    FM was joking, he doesn't actually have access to Brian M's camera or likely even know that Brian has a camera ...
    Yes, of course... tried to make that pretty clear in the first post, thus the (verbatim) "Just kidding about the camera"...

For those that have a sense of humor, the part that makes it funny is that:

- I might possibly be right. Brian still hasn't confirmed or denied. He posted that he got 29 salmon at Fish Creek a few days ago, and Saturday (now yesterday) was the final day, so it isn't a huge stretch that he went back.

- The above theory is further bolstered by Brian's last online date time shown to all users; just about as the sun rose Saturday morn.

- Couple that with the news story in the last few months (where was it from? Don't recollect right this sec.) that said that some "bright" young technoid that configured laptops that school students used at home had been not only configured to have their built in camera activated from afar, but that he'd actually done so, turning on said laptop camera's in the students' homes. (!!!) And he'd tried to justify his actions saying that the configuration had been made for the purpose of locating mislaid computers. Argh.

So put all this together, and you have wannabe snopes-worthy fairy tale that is a helluva lot less funny if you explain it like this.

Sometimes I forget the uninformed-concern that others feel about such things. And other times I underestimate the result when a few forum members drop a grand in a strip club and seem to believe that I'm somehow more important to pay attention to than... well, you know.

In any event, thanks again LuJon for coming to my rescue there. Apparently, lately, I need it.

For what it's worth, I've been in California for the past four days for my sister-in-law's wedding. I did indeed get 29 at Fish Creek, and that was what I needed for my limit. Alas Family Man, you were late to the game if you were trying to predict my actions.

Well FM I guess it's time to take the ball in for a good polishing!

Default long drive ahead

As there are no crystal ball polishing facilities close to here, I'd better load up the truck for a loooong drive. Back later.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    As there are no crystal ball polishing facilities close to here, I'd better load up the truck for a loooong drive. Back later.
    I have no assistance to offer on crystal balls but if you had a magic lamp there is a service facility just up the road from here...