Thread: Which 870 to buy?

Default Which 870 to buy?

I'm looking to buy a dependable 12g shotgun with a barrel at 20" or shorter for a home defense/campsite gun. I don't want to pay more than $450, so I narrowed my search down to two Remington 870's. I believe that they both have "Tactical" in their model name. The issue I'm addressing is the finish on these weapons. One is Power Coat Grey, which I've heard horror stories about flaking off. The other is what they call Blasted Black Oxide. The model numbers are 81202 and 81198 respectively.

Any help is much appreciated

Also I'm open to other weapon systems as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeWalterSobchak View Post
    I'm looking to buy a dependable 12g shotgun with a barrel at 20" or shorter for a home defense/campsite gun. I don't want to pay more than $450, so I narrowed my search down to two Remington 870's. I believe that they both have "Tactical" in their model name. The issue I'm addressing is the finish on these weapons. One is Power Coat Grey, which I've heard horror stories about flaking off. The other is what they call Blasted Black Oxide. The model numbers are 81202 and 81198 respectively.

Any help is much appreciated

Also I'm open to other weapon systems as well.

Thanks

I bought the gray coated version last year. As you mentioned, it is flaking off. Only a few range sessions and cleanings and the gray is peeling in chunks. The weapon it's self is preforming flawlessly but the finish is crapola...

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ical-grey.aspx

Good to know on the grey finish on these. One thing you might consider, I have several 870's, but mine were all bird guns and I purchased aftermarket Remington barrels and extension tubes for defense. This allows me to use the shotgun to hunt with or for combat. If you have just a combat/defense model (7 shot) you are pretty limited to just that function with it. Just something to consider for versatility.

Mountaintrekker

There is a great one in the rack at alaska custom firearms complete with XS sights night sights. SHould be within your price range and a lot more gun than your going to get brand new from remington.

I would look for a clean used 870 special field.It gives class in the field and in the home
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would look for a used wingmaster. Their bright blued finish is the best of them.

Find a used police trade-in and Duracoat it.
    Now what ?

Years ago when I went to the Remington Armory school, they showed us how much better the police versions were compared to others. The trigger assembly and feed mechanism is much better in the police versions.
    Ducks, rabbits and clay pigeons don't shoot back or rip your arms off with big teeth, so the Express and other versions work just fine for that stuff. If your life depends on it, get a police version.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com