Thread: VHF woes...

Default VHF woes...

My 9 year old Standard Horizon VHF is barely putting out any volume. I have checked connections. Is it time for a new one?

If you have a pa speaker plug it into the external sp jack and see if your radio is ok, if so replace the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    My 9 year old Standard Horizon VHF is barely putting out any volume. I have checked connections. Is it time for a new one?
    9 Years old....replace/upgrade. Don't forget the antenna if that has not been done recently.

I just changed the radio (7 years old) in my big boat and it was well beyond time. I now have much better reception and transmissions. Never really knew about how bad it was till I was unable to reach people from points that I always had before. Now I do it clearly. Yes I do calibrate my antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Yes I do calibrate my antennas.
    How exactly do you do that?

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    How exactly do you do that?
    Ok it is not eactly a calibration but a check to ensure you are getting the best transmission/reciever you can. Here is the meter I use

http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/ac...menupick=ART-3

I understand these radios tend to be line of sight but working with antenna heights, cable lengths and even position on the boat can affect your radio's ability to recieve and more importantly to transmit. The meter will allow you to see that all is functioning as designed or requires a change to improve.

I used this meter to check my radio when I finally decided that I had a weak radio to verify that fact. I was actually putting out less then 3 watts (less then many handhelds) even after an antenna change.

Good info, thanks.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

In order of probability; the speaker in the unit, the pot (variable resistor) of the volume control, or the amplifier.

If you know an electronics guy you could ask him to open it up and check it out. All of it can be checked with a multimeter.

If you turn your squelch down do you hear the static at the normal volume?
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

I would get it fixed. Old VHF's are much better than the new ones.

Output wattage is the same and can add DSC. And for under $100
    Eclipse DSC GX1000S Eclipsing the competition again Standard Horizon has brought back the Eclipse now with DSC. The Eclipse DSC is affordable and ultra compact designed with an advanced die-cast chassis make this full functioning 25 Watt VHF radio the perfect choice for serious power and sail boaters alike. Additional advanced features include large easy to ready LCD which displays LAT/LON or channel names Programmable Scan Priority Scan and Dual Watch All USA/International and Canadian Marine Channels NOAA Weather channels with weather alert and SC-101 DSC Digital Selective Calling including; Position requesting and Position reporting

I bought a new Standard Horizon Eclipse VHF and the sound is good, at least in my yard. My son-in-law came over and hooked it to my Lowrance GPS combo unit so the red distress button feature on the radio will display the boat's longitude and latitude if pushed. Thanks for the tips.