Thread: Jams and Jellies

Question Jams and Jellies

I tried to do a search on "Pantry" and I can't seem to find a specific thread relating to making Jams and Jellies.
    Can someone help me out with making a Raspberry Jam? I promised my daughter that we'd do one together and I have done a google search on recipes. I'd just rather than they are Alaskan recipes.
    Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. What's your experience with pectin?
    Lurker.

not much to it, glad you're giving it a go. experimentation is key to developing the feel for it. Hard to think of any berry preserves that i've disliked. I think none!

Amount of sugar to add will depend on how sweet you like it. My wife and I both prefer tart, so the amt of sugar added is somewhat minimal, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 cup per cup of berries. I've seen recommended up to 1 cup per cup of berries, but that's way too much for me. (also this depends on how sweet your berries are) If you have the time to cook berries longer (at least 2 hours to half a day), the pectin is completely unnecessary, but gotta simmer the water out which can take a while, though the flavor is 10times improved. Worthit for a large batch, i.e. several gallons of berries, and even a small batch, I like the texture better without pectin, it spreads better.

For raspberries we just use sugar, but for blues we add at least a cup of honey from the backyard bees, and then sugar. If you skip the pectin (which we often do) and things turn out like a thick syrup, that's ok. now you've got syrup (which is better than jam, imo)

raspberry syrup on pancakes is divine, so don't worry if it doesn't gel up perfectly, and you can still put it on toast, biscuits, etc. It is better for raspberries if you strain out the seeds with a sieve. not necessary, but makes it eat more smoothly. We do this just after the berries first turn to mush, before adding any sugar.

Attached a photo of the year's first yukon-tanana bounty from about 10 days ago. We froze about 4-5 gallons and got 11 pints of blue jam out of the deal, plus 4 pints of cloudberry jam and a bag of the nicest ones frozen for cloudberry pie.

Attachment 37111

Our backyard raspberries haven't even begun to ripen. Not totally true, I ate the first 4 red raspberries yesterday, thanks to the sun finally coming out to kiss them goodbye, but the rest .(goldens and reds, about 100' of row) are about the size of marbles and rock hard. Not a single golden smidge of color yet. Two more weeks at least for any sizeable harvest.

well, enjoy!

I am going to be making some rhubarb jelly later today. Got lots and need to find a use for it other than cobbler and bread.

Ingredients:

5 cups diced rhubarb
    1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
    2 cups sugar Procedure:

Mix and let stand 2 hours, then boil 12-15 minutes, remove from heat add 1 small package jello (most use strawberry, I like raspberry) stir and jar or put in plastic containers.

Not much to it. Just find a recipe that you like and have at it. Google has tons of ideas, most 'Alaskan' recipes come from books and such.

Found one for banana rhubarb jam that I am going to try.

Ingredients:

4c Cooked rhubarb
    2 large Bananas, cut fine
    6c Sugar Procedure:

Mix well and bring to boil and boil for 35 minutes or until thick. Pour into hot jars and seal.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I just made over 1/2 gallon of raspberry jam yesterday...so you timing to ask is perfect

I use basically the same recipe for raspberries and blueberries

most recipes call for anywhere from 1/3 to 1 cup of sugar per cup of berries. I tend to go with 3/4 cup sugar per cup of berries. Less as the season wears on and the berries get riper and sweeter. Try making a small batch, taste your product and go from there.

Add your sugar and berries in a tall, heavy pot (it can boil over in the initial cooking phase and if that happens it can make a mess).

On high heat bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down...stirring often to mash berries and to prevent scorching and keeping an eye out to make sure it doesn't boil over your pan.

Using a candy thermometer, note the initial temperature at which juice reaches full rolling boil. Continue heating until temperature reached 8F to 10F above initial boiling temp. At this temperature your sugar is concentrated enough for the product to gel (without added pectin). After you make a few batches of jam you more than likely will be able to do this without the thermometer by noting the approx. time it takes and also the fine overall bubbling to your jam, rather than the initial rolling boiling.

If are eating it soon, just boil flat lids to soften the seal. Then pour the hot jam into sterile jars. place hot boiled flat lids on jars and screw rings on tight. Let cool upside down. The jars will seal and you jam will thicken. For longer storage, process jars in boiling water bath. 10 minutes for pints and 15 minutes for quarts.

If you want jelly consistency you will probably want to use pectin.

Hope this helps
    Lori

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Just tried the banana rhubarb jam.

It is fantastic! Sweet and tart with a hint of banana. Gonna make some more of this stuff!
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

That rhubarb-banana recipe sounds good. Might have to try that one.

Grandma Lori

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Try buying sure jell. We just made a big batch of raspberry jam using the recipe on the box and it came out great.

I have a huge raspberry patch and put up 20-30 pints of jam every year. This year I was playing around and tried adding some jalapeno as I really like the sweet + heat flavor combination. The final combo I settled on is not really hot (unless you're hyper-sensitive to peppers) but carries the aroma and taste of the pepper. I rarely impress myself but I'm pretty proud of this recipe.

Erik's Raspberry-Jalapeno Jam

5 cups raspberries (rinsed, drained, lightly packed)
    5 cups sugar (my berries tend to be quite tart apparantly)
    1 cup jalapeno, finely chopped (seeds & white parts removed)
    1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1 package pectin (optional) (I used it)

Cook the berries/sugar as if you were making a conventional batch of jam
    After the berries have boiled for a few minutes add the jalapeno, onions and salt
    Cook for another 10 minutes or until the onion bits cook clear (initially they're white and clearly visible)
    Add pectin if desired

Jar as normal

It's great on crackers with a bit of cream cheese and it made a beautiful addition to a port wine reduction for a couple of roast grouse the other night.

BTW folks, I have berry starts to give away every year. If you'd like to transplant some just contact me.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erik, your spicy raspberry~pepper jelly sounds terrific. Too bad the raspberries around here are done or I'd make some with the last of the peppers from the greenhouse. I will have to copy this one down for next season.

I was thinking of doing something along these lines for a meat or fish type raspberry ketchupy vinegar sauce, but ended up with just lots of jam this year.

Next year for sure.
    Thanks for the great idea and recipe.
    Lori

Hi,
    My black enamelware canner is gritty inside, and is leaving a film on my canning jars. How do I fix this?This is the first year I have used it. We are on city water. I have scrubbed it with a Brillo pad and it is coming clean, but how do I keep it clean? This never happened with my old canners.If I put vinegar or something in the water, what do I do when I have my jars in there and am boiling them to make sure they are hot and sterile before I fill them? Tomorrow we will make salsa, so the vinegar should be okay, but if I was doing jams or jellies I wouldn't want vinegar in the jars. HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    I am going to be making some rhubarb jelly later today. Got lots and need to find a use for it other than cobbler and bread.

Ingredients:

5 cups diced rhubarb
    1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
    2 cups sugar
    Bilder, today I found a big container of rhubarb in the back of the freezer from last year, so I made your recipe but I used oranges instead of the pineapple (it's what I had on hand) and it worked out great. I used a box of pectin, too.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    I tried to do a search on "Pantry" and I can't seem to find a specific thread relating to making Jams and Jellies.
    Can someone help me out with making a Raspberry Jam? I promised my daughter that we'd do one together and I have done a google search on recipes. I'd just rather than they are Alaskan recipes.
    Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. What's your experience with pectin?

Try tis site http://www.entertainmealaska.com/Vie...20and%20Sauces
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Bilder,
    IMHO there are two major uses for Rhubarb (aka Pie Plant)
    1) rhubarb pies... at which my wife of several years is exceptionally skilled at...
    2) Rhubarb wine... which goes quite well with any seafood or venison type meal (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Bilder,
    IMHO there are two major uses for Rhubarb (aka Pie Plant)
    1) rhubarb pies... at which my wife of several years is exceptionally skilled at...
    2) Rhubarb wine... which goes quite well with any seafood or venison type meal (IMHO)
    Would you mind sharing your recipe for rhubarb wine? It sure sounds good! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    Would you mind sharing your recipe for rhubarb wine? It sure sounds good! :-)
    The recipe is for a 1 gallon batch... if you prefer to make a 5 gallon batch simply multiply x5
    I usually get 3 or 4 "cuttings" off my Rhubarb plants a year.. I cut the stalks up into approx 1" pieces and put in either 1 qt zip lock bags or I vacuum pack it in 1 qt sized pkgs..

5 lb Rhubarb (abt 2 frozen qts)
    6 pints water
    2 lb sugar
    1/4 tsp tannin
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    1 crushed campden tablet (2.5 - 3 for 5 gallons)
    1 pkg dry wine yeast

put rhubarb in a nylon mesh bag set in primary fermentor to thaw out.
    when thawed squeeze (wine press if available) out juice, tie top of nylon bag and leave in primary fermentor
    stir in all ingredients.. using a beer/wine hydrometer check specific gravity... should be about 1.090 to give you a 11.5% Alc
    add more sugar if desired...
    add yeast and cover primary fermenter
    when Specific Gravity reaches 1.040 (more or less) Press/squeeze nylon bag containing pulp into primary fermentor, and siphon your "wine" into a secondary fermentor and place an air lock on... When you can no longer see any tiny bubbles rising to the top, check specific gravity should be close to 1.000 which would indicate it is through working and you have an 11.5% alc by volume... Siphon (rack) the wine into a clean fermentor and let set a few days (more or less) Rack again to get away from as much sediment as possible.. Depending on how clear you want your wine, "Rack" several times.. Rhubarb wine never comes out exactly the same every time (IMHO) it may be perfect for you or it may be a little "tart".. take a pint or so of "wine" bring it to a boil and add 1/4 lb dissolved sugar per gallon and add this to a clean fermentor and siphon the rest of the wine in to mix... Bottle in clean bottles (provided you haven't sampled it all away by this time) Most recipes call for you to add a "stabilizer" to stop all fermentation... before bottling... Rhubarb can give all appearances visual and by hydrometer of being done working, you bottle it and some night you wake up to the sound of popping corks... But... if it doesn't blow the corks you might have some great Rhubarb champagne.... at worst you'll have a nice "dry" white wine..

Thread resurrection!
    Thanks for adding your information here!

It's the season!
    Feel free to add your recipes for Jams and Jellies!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Thread resurrection!
    Thanks for adding your information here!

It's the season!
    Feel free to add your recipes for Jams and Jellies!
    You sold your hangar?
    Tim

Just wanted to say that I love your blog, keep it up!

Hey Erik,
    Do you have any raspberry starts this year?? Sure would be interested if ou do have some.
    Thanks, ED

Thanks so much! Awesome recipe!!