Thread: Nordic Tug Charters/Fishing SE ALK?

Default Nordic Tug Charters/Fishing SE ALK?

I read an article in Fish ALK magazine about Nordic Tug Charters in Juneau. Anybody have any experience doing this? It would be fun to do a family trip...maybe...but definitely a guy's trip (fish fish and more fish)! It looks like you can fill a fish box pretty quick.

Thumbs up A great time

I rented a 37' Nordic (the Journeyman) out of Juneau. The girlfriend at the time brought her 2 kids down for the week.
    We caught salmon, halibut and lots of king crab. It was comfortable and warm on the boat. The big galley got pretty steamy on crab days. The whales were everywhere. Blackies and brownies on the beaches in the mornings.
    They are a pretty slow boat, but we were in no hurry. I'd do it again anytime.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I have chartered a 37' several times. I'll be going again next summer. I alternate between fishing (guy) trips and family(sightseeing/fishing) trips.

The boats are well maintained, solid, and comfortable. They are known as slow boats, but they will do 15 - 18 kts depending on the engine hp. However, they semi-plane at that speed, and give a squirrely ride and less than 1 mpg. Back off to 9 kts for a nice ride and 2 mpg. 7 kts is good for 3 mpg.

It is what to do with the box of fish that can be a hassle. You have to plan your fishing around what is locally available if you plan to take fish home. Pep's packing comes to the dock every day in Gustavus to pick up fish for processing, but there is no bulk ice available. Elfin Cove is a great location to access the salmon, lings, and rockfish in the open ocean, but they have no bait, ice, or fish processing. Hoonah has no fish processing, but does have bait at the tackle shop. They "sort of" have ice in that the commercial dock will sell you some if don't look too "yachty". Definitely wear your Extra Tough boots if you try to by ice in Hoonah. Pelican had nothing last year, after the fish processing plan closed along with the general store. This year they had a new community icemaker on the dock, but time will tell how that works out.

Big_E

We get an extra cooler from Nordic Tug so we can load up with 300# of ice in Juneau or Hoonah. It usually lasts most of the trip unless the weather is particularly warm.

Thank you everyone for your replies!! This is great info! I looked at some of the videos, and it sure seems like a great time. Like the idea about splitting a "guys" trip and "family" trip. Sure would make it far more convincing when the Mrs sees the credit card bill!!!

I have split trips several times. Several of the guys I fish with can't always get away for the 10 days I usually spend on the trip. It is easy to fly in and out of Hoonah, Gustavus, and Elfin Cove. Spending 2 - 3 days sightseeing in Glacier Bay (plus 1 - 2 days to get there) and then switching over to hard core fishing can be a good plan.

Big_E

I would agree that if you are not in a hurry a Nordic Tug would be a pleasurable boat to be on, and it is versatile enough for multiple uses.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

We did a rental of a 32-footer several years ago. There were 4 adults and 4 kids under age 10, a little tight but a great boat. There's a lot of interior space which was nice given the weather and keeping track of the little guys.