Thread: Forum Member Needs Graduate Research Help from Hunters/Forum members

Default Forum Member Needs Graduate Research Help from Hunters/Forum members

Greetings Forum members,

I've been a forum member since 2004 and I can use your help. I'm currently working on my thesis for grad school and I'm seeking forum member participation in a survey about satellite communications use while participating in remote Alaskan activities such as hunting, backpacking, etc. Below is my abstract:

Title: Factors that influence remote Alaskan adventurer choice in emergency satellite
    communications.
    Institution: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
    Degree: Master of Space Operations Management
    Year: 2010
    Alaska is both beautiful and remote, attracting outdoor adventurers of all types. Its sparse population density is primarily concentrated in urban centers. Cellar phone service is limited to these urban centers and along heavily traveled sections of Alaskaís road system. Thus Alaska adventurers must potentially rely on a satellite communication system in case of an emergency; an assumption available search and rescue data supports. The focus of this research is to ascertain which factors influence an individualís choice in selecting a satellite communications device for emergency use and to gauge the target populationís knowledge of these devices and supporting space systems. Research methodology will consist of a statistical analysis of responses to an online survey.

If you are interested in participating, please go to the following link:

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/renders...e5q12cot788908

This is not marketing research or spam. I paid for the upgraded online survey hosting by this website, and built the survey from scratch based on my research.

The survey itself is relatively quick, and the information you provide will be invaluable to my research. Please share this link/post with Alaska adventuring friends/family who may not be forum members. Also, if you like the survey, a bump to the top with an endorsement would be appreciated.

Once my thesis in complete I'll share the results with any forum members who would like a copy. I also plan on sharing the results with the 11th Rescue Coordination Center.

Thank you.

Ucohokie

done.. Now I feel silly, are we supposed to know the answers to those satellite questions? lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

There is no n/a on your survey.

Although most of us are Outdoors active, I don't think that all of us could fill out this survey being each representation that you have listed.
    Is there a way that you can change that? Or... maybe put something there that could say 'Zero' days doing that particular activity?

So far, it seems to be a pretty thorough survey.

p.s. It's odd to me that you had to pay for your survey, but it's on a website called 'FreeOnlineSurveys' and that you say you have been a member since 2004, but to the left under your name on your post, it says that you have been a member since 2006. Let's compromise and say that you were a lurker for those 2 years. Just an observation and I am giving you a hard time.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    you say you have been a member since 2004, but to the left under your name on your post, it says that you have been a member since 2006.
    Members had to re-register in (April?) 2006 when the site underwent major changes. There are many members on here that joined prior to their "Join Date".

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Members had to re-register in (April?) 2006 when the site underwent major changes. There are many members on here that joined prior to their "Join Date".
    And many have left and eventually returned at some later point.

Good luck with your survey; I would like a copy of any results you get; thanks.

One of your "check all that apply" doesn't allow multiple selections btw.

There is no n/a on your survey.

Although most of us are Outdoors active, I don't think that all of us could fill out this survey being each representation that you have listed.
    Is there a way that you can change that? Or... maybe put something there that could say 'Zero' days doing that particular activity?
    Do not select any answer for an activity you do not participate in. I left off an "N/A" column to reduce column header clutter. The parsing program essentially counts non answers for that question as N/As.

p.s. It's odd to me that you had to pay for your survey, but it's on a website called 'FreeOnlineSurveys'
    The "Free" survey is for a one page survey and response tracking for up to 50 responses. Based on the estimated population size for remote adventurers I need about 100 responses for a 95%; confidence level with +/-10% confidence interval (minimum desired). To hit a +/- 5%, I need close to 400 responses. A fee is required for the multipage survey I built and tracking of up to 1000 responses.

you say you have been a member since 2004, but to the left under your name on your post, it says that you have been a member since 2006. Let's compromise and say that you were a lurker for those 2 years. Just an observation and I am giving you a hard time.
    As mentioned, I was member of the old forum and converted when it switched.

Thanks to all responses so far, please spread the word. For those who found a question glitch or two, thanks for highlighting it, and I'll account for it when doing analysis - unfortunately I can't edit an active survey without clearing the results.

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Oh come on... I was just kiddin' around.
    Lurker.

Won't your thesis be published somewhere electronically, so you can just post a link when it's done?

<bump>

Default Bump to Top

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Good job on the survey. I would also be interested in the results when you have them.

After filling out your survey I realized I don't know as much as I thought about Sat phones.

Great job on the survey... very nice and interested in the results.

I hadn't heard of the Solara... interesting!

Default Bump to top

Thanks everyone for participating.

Default One last bump

All,

One last pitch/bump.

I've received 58 survey replies (outstanding), but hoping for a few more. If you know anyone who likes going remote in Alaska please encourage them to take this survey.

Thanks again.