Thread: Switch fly rod

Default Switch fly rod

I am thinking about building or buying a switch fly rod to use this fall on the upper Kenai river. What I need is advice on the length for a 7WT rod. Should the fly rod be 10', 10'6" or 11' in length? Also, what type of fly line mates the best to the fly rod, long belly lines or skagit lines? Thank you for any advice you may have. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

There are several 7wt switchrods out there. Sage and Winston make 11 footers, Redington makes an 11'3", Echo makes a 10'10", Beulah makes a 10'6"...

The length of a switchrod shouldn't be the main focus when making a purchase. The questions you need to answer is "what type of action do I want from my 7wt switchrod?" and, "what am I going to be doing with my 7wt switchrod?" The answers to these will dictate what rod to get. If you give me a little more info, I would be happy to give you some ideas on what to get. I have cast and fished every commercially available switchrod out there, and teach switch and spey casting.

Alaska Fly Fishing Goods covers switchrods in THIS ARTICLE as well.

line will depend on what you want to use it for... If you are throwing tips try a short belly skagit, if you are nymphing with it from a boat or something a scandi head also for trout I'd look at a smaller rod I've got a beulah 5/6 which is awesome for trout up here, I just love it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

akriverman,

If you are building a switch rod, be sure to research the kit and/or the hardware components. Some of the switch rod kits I've worked with require quite a bit of modification in order to deliver a quality final product. Good luck with your decision.

tt

Thanks for the information and your opinions on rods and lines. The type of action that I am looking for is a medium fast action where the rod will get a deeper parabolic flex to transfer the energy for the line cast. The fast action rods just don't feel right to me for a switch rod. I have a lot of fast action rods to include my spey rods, but for this rod I want to slow down the speed and get to the Zen. The closest action type would be like a boron Winston, which Winston calls a fast action rod. LOL. As far as building a rod I would not be using a kit. I prefer to pick the components myself and that always means a little extra work, but I think brings a better result in the end. I know that the switch rods are being used more and more here in Alaska, so there should be good or bad feelings on this type of fly rod and its ability to catch fish. The fish I plan on hooking with this rod have pretty red stripes or shiny bright steel sides. Tight lines.
    Last edited by akriverman; 08-03-2010 at 00:30. Reason: typo
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

When lined correctly, the Winston 7110 is a fast action rod - the grain window is 401-430gr for scandi applications... when paired with a good caster, the BII-x with a scandi compact 420 / 14' intermediate polyleader combo is a hard switch setup to beat for feel, distance, and overall castability.

If you would like a more progressive taper, try the Echo SR line. Comparatively slow, wide grain windows, easy to cast, and easy on the pocketbook.