Thread: New to the site

Default New to the site

Just thought I would say hello! I am a life long hunter and fisherman in Upstate NY and by profession a psychiatric nurse practitioner. Just wondering if anyone hunts rabbits or hare with hounds on this site. I have some real good beagles that I hunt them with and was just curious if anyone here is into the same thing.

Peace,
    NYH

Sorry.......I didn't see the small game section. Wow...what a nice site!
    Last edited by NYHillbilly; 07-30-2010 at 17:28. Reason: found what I was looking for in small game section

Welcome NYH from a fellow Upstate New Yorker (Sauquoit, near Utica).

Most of us in Alaska hunt bunnies on snowshoes or off of snowmachines.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erik.......cool! You are from right over the hill from where I am. I live in Waterville, NY, not hardly 10 miles from Sauquoit. I have been looking into working in an area that is in need of a practitioner, but nervous about making the jump for my wife's sake and losing out on my deer and rabbit hunting. How long have you been in Alaska?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

welcome to Alaska.... (well.... in spirit anyway) hope you stick around abit and make many friends... lots of good stuff comes out of this site
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the warm greetings Vince. I am going to be checking in quite a bit due to my circumstances. I have seen the excellent waterfowl hunting in the area of Cold Bay on-line, but is there any other hunting to be done there?

Ya, Brown bears, caribou, moose, wolves, fox
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

NYH,
    The Air Force brought me to Alaska 19 years ago. Except for a 3 year assignment in Idaho I've been here since. Most of my family is still in CNY. If you ever worked at Marcy, my aunt was the Director of Nursing there (or what ever the title is). She's a well known dog breeder on the side.

My Dad still lives on Oneida St.

If you're considering a move north and west. Health care is a growing field in AK. Anchorage has 2 large hospitals and a new one was just built in the Mat-Su valley 40 miles north.

Your missing a hospital in ANC. There is Prvidence, Alaska Regional and Alaska Native Medical Center. Then there are a number of "smaller" places around as well. South Central Native owns the large pretty building in front of the main Native hospital and is a separate organization. Then there are contract positions working on Elmendorf as well as the VA. If you are a health care worker with a good resume and a dream of living in AK you should be able to make it happen with a lot less risk than most fields. One note though, make sure you research the cost of living and get a good idea of what your worth in AK. More than a few get hired from outside at a rate below their value. When I hired at one major hospital I walked in the door making more than a couple guys who had come up from outside. Skills/experience were comparable but they didn't broker a good salary when they hired and were ultimately being underpaid.

LuJon,
    Thank you for the corrections.

too your question NY, yes we do hunt rabbits with beagles.. search a thread in gundog forums and there is abit of that talk in there, i myself have a beagle i hunt with, training a pup this year!

LuJon,

You bring up a very good point. How do I go about knowing what a person in my profession is paid in Alaska? I can see that living expenses are greatly higher than here but I am not sure what it takes to afford to live there. I'm not talking extravagant but without having to worry all the time would be a good start. Also, to all who have been answering my questions.........thank you.
    NYH

First step is to budget what you need. I did that by going on realtor.com and looking at house prices, then I researched taxes, then gas prices, commute times from the different areas I was interested in living. Then looked into electric, natural gas heating, and cable/phone/internet costs. There are also some cost of living calculators on the web that do a fair job of estimating the cost of consumables and food. It takes some work but you can put together a pretty good picture of what you need to take home a month to be able to live. Don't forget to factor in some money for maintenance and repairs though. Lots of people fail to realize that they are going to need things like winter tires (being from upstate NY you are certainly aware).

As a medical professional you will likely find that a couple of the employers were nice enough to post a salary range "DOE" for your credentials. You know your resume and should be able to rank yourself realistically in that range. Also the more jobs you see posted that you are qualified for the higher in that range (or potentially beyond it) you are likely to get.

Honestly I had a blast doing the research, and applying for jobs then doing the interview thing. It is even better if you already have a job and can spin it to the point that they are looking for a way to get you in the door rather than you trying to convince them that you deserve a job. Only thing better than that is having two or three companies trying to seduce you.

Great input LuJon, thanks. Now if a person had a choice to work in Wassilla, Anchorage, Fairbanks or Cold Bay, from an overall perspective which is the move to make. I realize it is really subjective and depends on what a person feels important to them but certainly one most stand out as a preferred place to be. For me it is about connecting with a sense of community and being part of that community, helping those who really need could use what I have to offer as a person as well as a professional and learning as much from them as they learn from me. I am not into climbing some imaginary or real ladder to the so called top because I think people who do often lose sight of what and who is important. The view from the top is not always better because your head may be buried in the clouds! That said, I still need to provide for myself and wife so money is a reality. Also, when hunting and fishing is a real part of your fabric as a person and not just an occasional trip to deer camp, there is a real focus on access to open land, availability and variety of game, costs and like minded people. I have an old farm here so turkey, deer and small game is available but if it wanders off the back forty in any direction it quickly crosses onto "posted" land in every direction and not all neighbors are hunter friendly. Anyway, I appreciate the patience with all my pesky questions it is my attempt to do the research you suggest. Always best to ask the experts!

There are so many things to consider from one place to another. I will not live in Anchorage, just too many people. Wasilla was where I grew up but it has grown too much for me. I picked Palmer and commuted to Anc for work. I wanted a particular school for my kids and that was the deciding factor on where I live. Without kids to consider I would live somewhere a bit farther out.

I can't speak to Cold Bay as I have not been there but it would seem reasonable to me to make the move to the road system then decide on whether or not you want to move to a more remote location. If you are responsible w/ your spending habits and can keep a budget then the Alaska Air credit card can get you all over the state for free. 15,000 miles round trip to anywhere in AK, we make lots of purchases on the card then immediately pay it off without paying interest. Obviously most don't do that or they wouldn't offer the deal. I am sure you will find plenty of people in all of our communities to keep you very busy <grin>

FYI, most of AK is not a "hunt in your yard" type of place. Game animals are much less densely populated in AK than down south. There is tons of hiking and a lot of public access to the mountains around Anchorage and the valley but most hunts are done off of more remote areas of the road system using ATV's or boats to get back into the wilderness. There are thousands of places to camp and fish depending on what you want to catch. Little lakes in the middle of nowhere w/ grayling and lake trout in them, rivers packed with salmon, and all kinds of tasty fish in the salt. If you had enough money and didn't have to work you could fish or hunt every day of the year in AK.