Thread: Chitina Status

Question Chitina Status

Anyone just come back from Chitina South O Brian creek area.........big run was expected? Did it happen? Plan on going down Mon 02 Aug night

My oldest son and I went up on Thursday, fished yesterday and got back to Wasilla at 10:30PM last night. We got sixty between the two of us, weren't really interested in the supplemental as it would have put us back home much later. The line for charter boat drop-offs was unbelievable. If you plan to take a ride down with Mark or Sam, you'd be best going up the day before you plan to fish.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

We had a great day up there last Wednesday. I took my 15 year old son and my mom. We were in line for Hem's Charter by 4:30am, got dropped off at a great spot and started fishing at 7am. Just over 6 hours later we were picked up with a total of 80 fish. The sun graced us with its presence, a warm breeze kept the bugs at bay, and I got to be a proud dad and watch my son catch several fish. We were back in Eagle River by 10pm. A long day, but a good one!

I've never taken the charter down river before. I've always done the camping out and using ATVs to get to my fishing spots. I will have to say that the charter operation is first rate. I would recommend them to anyone.

We were above the bridge by the airport and the large part of the run hadn't made it up that far as of thursday evening we only caught a few
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I took my boat and 3 "head of family" friends down July 27th. They had never dipped before so we parked at an eddy. We all had our 30 fish plus the 10 supplemental, (160 total) in about 5 hours; it was the easiest dipping I’ve ever seen.
    I am pretty certain I’ve spoiled 3 new dippers! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    We were above the bridge by the airport and the large part of the run hadn't made it up that far as of thursday evening we only caught a few
    My uncle just got back and he said the same thing.

Default I limited out, but it took a while

I was at the "stairs" near the end of the canyon trail. It took me a while to find the spot in the river. But I was pulling out 1 salmon every 10 minutes. Now in between I had lots of bumps and salmon slip out of the net. Next year I plan on getting a larger hoop and net. It took about 6 hours to get my limit.

Drove in the canyon late Fri and Fished a little Friday night until it got dark(don't have that problem in June or early July) and then Saturday a bit. It started raining Friday night and didn't stop until midafternoon Sat. I try not to dip when its raining (slick rock) as thats just one risk factor too many. But ended up doing a bit of dipping Sat. Total; Fri night 6, and Sat 16. Averaged about one every 15 minutes.
    Sunday was good and got better. Average one every 5 minutes, they were almost all big and bright fresh. Between me and my brother we got 40 more and had force ourselves to stop as we had all we needed or could handle.
    Water came up Sat and especially Sun but the Reds kept running at our spot.
    Good trip.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com