Thread: Seward charter July 19th

Default Seward charter July 19th

On July 19th some of my buddies who live in AK and I went on a charter out of Seward. It was with Seward Adventure Charters. It was a great day to say the least! there were 6 of us so the boat was all ours. We were told to be at the boat at 6am so about 5:45 we walked out to the slip where the boat was. On the way there i passed a group of guys that i could tell were captains. They were talking about what trips they were doing for the day. One of them was a guy with very long bushy curly hair with a heavy southern accent. Wow I thought a southern boy chartering in AK now thats funny. I thought to myself i pity the poor group that gets this guy. Well as we waited i saw the guy walking down the dock and my heart sank when i saw he was OUR CAPTAIN. The captain (John) hopped in the boat and invited us on board. He then gave us a safety breifing and we were off. It was now 6:01. He had asked us what we wanted to target and we told him Lings, black rockfish,Yellow Eye, silvers and halibut in that order. Well my impression of John could not have been more unfounded. John knew exactly what he was doing. He explained that if we wanted to hit all the different kinds of fish we would not have all day to spend looking for barn doors but we would get some decent halibut. After a 2hr run we stopped at a spot to hit some black sea bass. My first fish was putting up a big fight and i knew it was not a sea bass. It was a 40lb Ling! We kept it and i then caught 3 sea bass and then a 45lb Ling. Well he got to swim for another day being i had mine in the box. We picked up all our sea bass and 3 more lings. We stopped at another spot and in an hour the last two people had their Lings and it was on to fish Silvers. It took us a while to find them but soon it was game on and we filled our 3 Silvers each and then took off to find some Halibut. The first place we stopped was over run with spiny dogfish so we took off and went about another 5 miles and set up. We hit the fish and again it was game on. My buddy hooked a smallish 20lb fish right away that John just tossed back. "we can do better" were his words. We filled up on 25-60lb Halibut with most about 25-35lbs on my digital scale. We then headed in. John was a great captain who really knew what he was doing. He knew the area we fished and where to find what he was looking for. All in all it was one of the best days fishing i have ever had. Hats off to John and the Seaventure! Come to find out John had been fishing Seward for years. We could not have been happier with our day! John and his deckhand were top rate and you could tell they loved to fish!
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats a pretty nice haul did they get you your limits on everything i couldnt quite count everything in the picture

We got limits of Lingcod, Black sea bass, Silvers and Halibut. Awesome trip! John knew what he was doing!!

Sounds like an excellent day! Just goes to show 1st impressions are often misleading.