Thread: Full body cape.

Default Full body cape.

I'm headin out sheep hunting in about 10 days and was wondering if I could get some advice on pulling the cape for a full body mount. Would you make a full dorsal cut then tube the legs? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Full body cape

I posted this in the trophy care forum as well but looking to pull the full cape off a sheep if I get one. Just wondering what the best way to do this would be. Would you do the full dorsal then tube the legs? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I would find a quality taxidermist before you go. Check references, you will have that mount for the rest of your life I would imagine and I'm sure you don't want to look at it and wish you had done something different. Some I have ask like dorsal cuts and other don't. You are going to paying them a hefty price and I would try to do it the way they wanted, to both save money and to end up with a better product. I think of it like this, I'm starting the project by collecting the trophy and my taxidermist is finishing it. The job always comes out better with communication. I have done a full body bear and it would have been sooooo much easier to sew up if it had been a dorsal cut instead of a rug cut.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
    I guess it would probably be easier just to call my taxidermist to see which he prefers.

Skin a ram full body just like a bear...chin to tail...up the inside of each leg...is how I have done it...clients and taxidermist were satisfied.

Funny, the front cape seems like next to nothing in my pack...full body cape weighs ten times more.

Ask your taxidermist. It really depends on the position your having it mounted. If you dont have a taxidermist you should get one and don't go for the cheapest one either go see their work in person. I worked for a taxidermist in AZ for a few years before moving to AK and it always amazed me the money hunters would spend on the hunt but not the mount they were going to put on their wall and look at for the rest of there (single) lives. Taxidermist do a lot of repair work every year that could have been avoided with a trip to the shop before the hunt.

Dorsal for a full body mount. The longer hair on top will hide the cut better versus the belly. Not any harder to do it that way either. I like the positive attitude you have though.......already planning out the mount and its only the 31st of July. Good luck and stay dry.....

On sheep we have always one cut midway down the back, following the spine and top of the neck to the base of the horns "veed" to each horn and cut around the base of each horn. One cut up the back of each front leg, then to the center avoiding the thin hair - then to the center of the belly - then up the back legs to the base of the testicles and connect to cut that followed the belly cut that would normally be made when gutting.
    Should check with your taxidermist - if you can't, just make certain there is enough hair to hide the stitching.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

Thanks for all the tips, all good information. I've got a taxidermist in Wasilla that I like to use and I guess the next step would be to give him a call also. My plans are if I get the ram I'm looking for I'll have him mounted full body, if not I'll sell the cape, that's if I get one at all. I've been pretty partial to the European mount, it makes the not so big rams look a little larger and I just like the way they look.

Yes, talk to your taxi. Less cuts you make to get hide off in one piece, the less sewing your taxi will have to do. Cuts can always be added later by taxi before tanning, or before mounting. The more cuts you make to get it off, the less "saleable" it becomes. You can get the hide off with a dorsal and veed cut around horns and some vertical relief cuts on the legs.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    I like the positive attitude you have though.......already planning out the mount and its only the 31st of July......
    Nothing like counting those chickens before the eggs are hatched!