My father, friend and I just returned from a five day fishing trip to Homer, the Kenai River and Seward. We fished one day for halibut (we had the second day cancelled due to wind) with Brian Noller of Midnight Sun Charters out of Homer, and Brian did his normal great job. We also fished for Kings on the Kenai with Casey Malepsy of Casey's Guide Service who is simply one of the most complete fisherman I have ever been around. In fact, all three of us caught a King with the largest being 53 lbs. I would highly recommend him and will fish with him again. The first day in Seward we were on the Crackerjack and had a blast regardless of the waves that were something else.
Our problems began on our last day as we fished with a very well known charter (I am sure the mods will delete this if they are named) who's office is directly behind the harbormaster's offices. As we checked in the night before, we were told to check in by 6:15 the next morning which we did. We arrived at the boat five minutes later and introduced ourselves to a husband wife team who were also waiting as the captain, Jon, had not arrived yet. Our departure time was scheduled to be at 7:00, and after standing in the pouring rain until 7:10, we finally sent one of the group up to the office where he heard the captain call the office stating that he was "running late". Forty minutes later, Jon appeared with no explanation, just a simple, "its been a hell of a morning". He then stated that he had not been informed of the charter and thought he was off for the day. (This later proved false.) He informed us that due to the waves, we could not halibut fish (it was rough even in the bay) but could fish salmon (it was a full day combo charter). We agreed with his decision. We left the harbor at a little after 8:00. At around 1:00 PM due to the slow salmon fishing (we caught 9 salmon) he offered to take us back in "after one more drift" and we would get a half day refund to which we agreed. By the time we were back in the office after all the fish cleaning, shipping taken care of, etc., it was 3:00PM. When we explained to the gentleman behind the counter who I am sure was the owner, what we were there for, he looked at the clock and pretty much stated that there would be no refund at all. He knew that Jon had overslept and even told us that he had gone to Jon's house to wake him. He knew we had stood in the rain for an hour and a half waiting for him. But he stated that the captain could not make the call in regards to the half day refund and it was too late. He then tried to contact the captain by radio and phone with no success. At this point the three of us were like three volcanoes ready to blow which he sensed as it was obvious. After some sharp discussions, he finally agreed to the refund.
So after all of this, what do you guys think?