Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input about our charter

Default Input about our charter

My father, friend and I just returned from a five day fishing trip to Homer, the Kenai River and Seward. We fished one day for halibut (we had the second day cancelled due to wind) with Brian Noller of Midnight Sun Charters out of Homer, and Brian did his normal great job. We also fished for Kings on the Kenai with Casey Malepsy of Casey's Guide Service who is simply one of the most complete fisherman I have ever been around. In fact, all three of us caught a King with the largest being 53 lbs. I would highly recommend him and will fish with him again. The first day in Seward we were on the Crackerjack and had a blast regardless of the waves that were something else.

Our problems began on our last day as we fished with a very well known charter (I am sure the mods will delete this if they are named) who's office is directly behind the harbormaster's offices. As we checked in the night before, we were told to check in by 6:15 the next morning which we did. We arrived at the boat five minutes later and introduced ourselves to a husband wife team who were also waiting as the captain, Jon, had not arrived yet. Our departure time was scheduled to be at 7:00, and after standing in the pouring rain until 7:10, we finally sent one of the group up to the office where he heard the captain call the office stating that he was "running late". Forty minutes later, Jon appeared with no explanation, just a simple, "its been a hell of a morning". He then stated that he had not been informed of the charter and thought he was off for the day. (This later proved false.) He informed us that due to the waves, we could not halibut fish (it was rough even in the bay) but could fish salmon (it was a full day combo charter). We agreed with his decision. We left the harbor at a little after 8:00. At around 1:00 PM due to the slow salmon fishing (we caught 9 salmon) he offered to take us back in "after one more drift" and we would get a half day refund to which we agreed. By the time we were back in the office after all the fish cleaning, shipping taken care of, etc., it was 3:00PM. When we explained to the gentleman behind the counter who I am sure was the owner, what we were there for, he looked at the clock and pretty much stated that there would be no refund at all. He knew that Jon had overslept and even told us that he had gone to Jon's house to wake him. He knew we had stood in the rain for an hour and a half waiting for him. But he stated that the captain could not make the call in regards to the half day refund and it was too late. He then tried to contact the captain by radio and phone with no success. At this point the three of us were like three volcanoes ready to blow which he sensed as it was obvious. After some sharp discussions, he finally agreed to the refund.

So after all of this, what do you guys think?

I would say the company needs a better method of communication. Glad you got a refund and fish to boot..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthDakotaHunter View Post

So after all of this, what do you guys think?
    I think you spend a lot of money in Alaska on charter fishing which tells me you're not cheap.
    The owner of the charter business sounds like he must have an abundance of customers and was willing to take a chance on some bad reviews.

Can you pm me with the name of the charter please, I would hate to book with these guys

Me too please. We plan on spending a few days fishing and I'd like to steer away from their operation.

Good Capts are sooo hard to find. No excuse for not showing up to work on time, and I'm sure that operation will send him packing at the end of the season. Kinda hard to do mid season though.. Capt should be on the boat at least 30 min prior to departure time.

also would like a pm with the company name please

Couldn't fish for halibut because of the wind but could troll for salmon!?!? You got the "run around" from this guy. I know plenty of places to go for halibut if you are able to troll for salmon. You got ripped off!

And you were treated to something I call totally unacceptable and rude treatment. I would contact the Homer Chamber of Commerce and see if they are a member. If they are I'd tell the Chamber people exactly what happened. That is NOT right.

I don't think there is anything wrong with posting the name of the charter operation. You can't "promote" your business here, but letting people know who does BS things like this is, IMHO, totally acceptable. Operations like that give what I love doing the most a "black eye" and shouldn't be allowed to flourish.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Mutley it was in Seward he had the problem. I went with John on the Seaventure out of Seward and it was not him. John on the seaventure did a great job for us!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Mutley it was in Seward he had the problem. I went with John on the Seaventure out of Seward and it was not him. John on the seaventure did a great job for us!
    Ahhh. I didn't get that. Now I know who they are just from the description. I used to walk by their office every morning when I had my boat in the harbor down that ramp.

And I still think their name should be posted for everyone to see.

Mutt you sound like the judge, the jury, and the executioner of the charter industry. I'm not doubting SouthDakotaHunter, but hypothetically he could have a personal issue w/ the charter business. Thats exactly why its against the rules here Mutt! Alpha male charter Captains would be bad mouthing the other charter outfits whenever they could to promote themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Alpha male charter Captains would be bad mouthing the other charter outfits whenever they could to promote themselves.
    That would never happen on here...
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

well another bad review for this particular outfit, I am suprised they can stay in business, bet they don't have very many repeat customers. They do have 4 boats though, so maybe they do have a decent captain or too

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Mutt you sound like the judge, the jury, and the executioner of the charter industry. I'm not doubting SouthDakotaHunter, but hypothetically he could have a personal issue w/ the charter business. Thats exactly why its against the rules here Mutt! Alpha male charter Captains would be bad mouthing the other charter outfits whenever they could to promote themselves.
    No. I'm not. There are about a thousand people saying who they think the good charters are and if you have a bad experience with a charter operation it should be posted here. If someone has a bad experience with me I'd like to know about it so I can correct whatever problem they had with me. I won't try to skirt the issue.

I am not being the judge, jury and executioner here. It is the person posting a post. SouthDakotaHunter posted a very well thought out and concise accounting of what happened. It's up to YOU to be the judge of whether or not he is being the executioner or not. Not me. A "vague" reference to the "charter operation that's right behind the harbormaster's office" is not very "vague" for anyone that knows the harbor area of Seward and not too hard to figure out if you go there. If "they" have a problem with what was posted about them then let them defend themself.

And I don't give a flying rat's ***** what other charter captains say about me. I stand by my reputation and the fish I catch for my people. All the charter captains I know back all the other charter captains they know 100%. If I see some charter captain "bad mouthing" another I have to ask why. If they have a good reason, so be it. If not, then they don't deserve my respect. Plain and simple.

The operation SDH used was TOTALLY unprofessional, rude and out of line according to what he said. If you disagree then say so and back up your assertion. Otherwise they should be "exposed" for the sh.....er...crap they handed a paying client. That's just wrong.

KGPCR just posted a great review of the charter he was on the other day. How do I know he isn't just totally embellishing the truth (I don't, kgpcr!) to give them business. If people can post good reviews of charters the should be able to post the bad, too.

I love the way I'm being "taken to task" for stating what is obvious and what everyone that's reading this wants to know anyways.

Default negative comments about people and businesses

Muttley I hear your logic and don't disagree with it.

But while we're in Mike Strahan's house here we must abide by his rules, and he clearly says what's allowed here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/faq.php?faq=aos_forum_rules#faq_rules_negative_com ments

So, while I think you're right, the not-posting of the name of biz rule (which the OP abided) is righter. Or put another way, if you were here on my property, you darn well better abide by my rules or get the hell off my property - even if you don't agree with my rules and/or think you're right and I'm wrong.

Tell me if you think I'm off base here, either directly or via PM, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

But while we're in Mike Strahan's house here we must abide by his rules, and he clearly says what's allowed here:
    Yeah, I agree with this, I have a feeling, as in, my imagination doesn't have to get going too far before I realize the running of a website must have COMPLICATIONS that nobody would ever know as a casual observer or participant,

Probably has to have "Slander Insurance" or something crazy like that, Think about it,

I'll stick by the rules as well as I can. I think the OP got the point across,
    "If you are treated like that on your charter, It's NOT OK !"

and everybody, both Charter Ops and Customers are listening.

Good thread, worth reading, don't need any more details, Everybody's Hearing the Message
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/faq.php?faq=aos_forum_rules#faq_rules_negative_com ments

So, while I think you're right, the not-posting of the name of biz rule (which the OP abided) is righter. Or put another way, if you were here on my property, you darn well better abide by my rules or get the hell off my property - even if you don't agree with my rules and/or think you're right and I'm wrong.

Tell me if you think I'm off base here, either directly or via PM, OK?
    I realize it is against the rules. I didn't say it wasn't. I said it should be allowed. If it is allowable to post good reviews of a business the opposite should be allowed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I realize it is against the rules. I didn't say it wasn't. I said it should be allowed. If it is allowable to post good reviews of a business the opposite should be allowed as well.
    Dave,

I agree with line of thinking here on this one. If one can post a positive review, why not a negative one? However while I agree with your line of thinking, I also think of the implementation of allowing negative reviews and I can imagine the phone calls those that manage the site would get. It is SO not worth going there for them. I would also suspect that because of advertising and sponsors, it would be touchy for all parties who manage the site.

However, sharing a bad charter experience is good for charter captains and booking agencies to hear. However, with that said, the ones that need to hear it are not going to anyway, and an open public platform probably isn't the right place for it anyway. But, here is an idea, why not a catagory titled, "Good Charter Reviews and If Your Company is Not Mentioned, It Is Because You SUCK". I think it is kinda catchy. What do you guys think? LOL

PS Dave, why the heck aren't you in bed, don't you have to work tomorrow?

TRB

KGPCR just posted a great review of the charter he was on the other day. How do I know he isn't just totally embellishing the truth (I don't, kgpcr!) to give them business. If people can post good reviews of charters the should be able to post the bad, too.

Thats why i posted pics. Dave you run a great charter from what i am told and hope to fish with you next year. In this day of lawsuits galore they just cant open themselves up to lawsuits for bad reviews. Its sad but thats the way it is. Remember cream floats to the top! Good charters reputation speaks for itself!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Dave you run a great charter from what i am told and hope to fish with you next year. Good charters reputation speaks for itself!
    This is exactly why I'll be booking w/ the Mutt for the winter king derby. I'm gonna give him a chance to put up or shutup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast