Thread: Need advice

Question Need advice

Hi guys,
    I've get a cruse roundtrip from SF to Alaska and leaving tomorrow noon.
    Ship will stay short time in JUNEAU, SKAGWAY and KETCHIKAN.
    My question is: Where I could fish from the pier or surf not too far from the port?
    What lures or bait are preferable, etc...
    Mine outfit is : telescopic Diabolo V rod 9'10", 20lb with Okuma Corrida.
    I don't want to take party boat because, at first, there is chance that I will late to ship and secondary - it is probably too expensive.
    Thank you

Pound some shinny spinners thru the water column, thats fishing, catching is a 2nd option, but if you don't fish there is no chance of option 2.
    Maybe it will not be the hottest fishing but you never know!

What are you looking for? Just an opportunity to wet a line, or are you after a specific fish. The charter boats won't be late for the ship, taking cruise passengers out is what they do. For Juneau if you just want to catch a salmon, any salmon, take a cab to DIPAC there's plenty there. It's late in the season for kings so you'll be looking at a lot of chums. I'm not sure how much fun it would be, but just yesterday there was a school of chums swimming underneath the cruiseship dock. If you really want the experience take a charter it's worth the $$.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Thank you AKBoater!
    Some questions:
    DIPAC - it is a beach or area?
    What lures and rig good for chums? The rig has to be top, bottom or swimming?
    And last stupid question: what is the "Chum"? Abbreviation for some kind of salmon? What size a chum could be?
    I am sometimes use ”chumming" - grinded bait for attracting fish.
    Thanks again

DIPAC; its a local hatery, about 5 miles from the cruiseship dock. they have a peir to fish from.

Good rigs for chums: Snagging hook (they dont bite much), some flies have success, and maybe a large spoon/spinner (but honestly you will probably be snagging them with it, there are thousands in that small area)

What is a aChum: Type of salmon, Its regarded as the worst tasting salmon (not edible this time of year), but they are large, anywhere from 8 to 25 pounds. They can fight pretty hard, but because it is so late in the year, you will likely just be pulling in weight.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Thanks everybody!
    Finally I've got a party boat in Ketchikan for pinks.
    It was amazing - six salmons and four lost for couple hours.
    Only one thing is sad: I was promised receive my catch in San Francisco at 11 August. I've taken day off but about 2pm get a phone call: sorry, we'll send yours catch only tomorrow, so you'll get it only on 13th.
    I've enjoyed Alaska and probably try to have another, only for fishing, trip to Alaska.

Glad you enjoyed it. Pinks are great way to get a taste of alsaka fishing. Next time you come, try to get a nice charter for Kings, or maybe a freshwater trip near Kenai for Reds or Silvers, You will really enjoy that!!
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.