Thread: BBQ!!!! Jack Daniels Invitaional ....

Thumbs up BBQ!!!! Jack Daniels Invitaional ....

Here i come !!!! I won the state comp last weekend !!!#1 overall, grand champ!!(by 10 points to boot) so Jack Daniels Invitaional here i come!!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Congratulations. Where do you have to go for the JD invitational and what equipment will you use?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Note to self: When atvalaska has a bbq....invite yourself....

I'll drive
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    Here i come !!!! I won the state comp last weekend !!!#1 overall, grand champ!!(by 10 points to boot) so Jack Daniels Invitaional here i come!!
    That's really cool. Not to pry into confidential details about recipes or anything, but can you add some more detail about what you made, and some pictures and such? I hadn't heard anything about a competition.

i cook with WSM'S and 22 1/2 kettels (3 to 4 of them burning a mix of wood- lump - charcoal) the entrys for the jack are butt/rib/brisket/chicken, up here we had a sauce/best seafood/best steak contest to keep a guy working all weekend! of the 1st 4 a guy can get 180 point per.....at the end of the day i came in 568 the RGC came in 558 and 3rd place was 557.... the other 14 or so teams came in below that a single diget spread is a tight one --on the other hand a double pont lead is almost impossable to catch... i will post picks of GOV parnnel and us shoking hands etc when ever i get back on line ..the libray sucks...oh well using the last of my tax dollars up

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That's really cool. Not to pry into confidential details about recipes or anything, but can you add some more detail about what you made, and some pictures and such? I hadn't heard anything about a competition.
    the words out ..u had a guy from wasilla/targer grill rep who did well ..his 1st time to boot!

i cook with WSM'S and 22 1/2 kettels (3 to 4 of them burning a mix of wood- lump - charcoal) the entrys for the jack are butt/rib/brisket/chicken, up here we had a sauce/best seafood/best steak contest to keep a guy working all weekend! of the 1st 4 a guy can get 180 point per.....at the end of the day i came in 568 the RGC came in 558 and 3rd place was 557.... the other 14 or so teams came in below that a single diget spread is a tight one --on the other hand a double pont lead is almost impossable to catch... i will post picks of GOV parnnel and us shoking hands etc when ever i get back on line ..the libray sucks...oh well using the last of my tax dollars up
    Holy moley that was one long sentence!!

the words out ..u had a guy from wasilla/targer grill rep who did well ..his 1st time to boot!
    That was me! I entered my first contest and placed 4th in Chicken, Ribs and Seafood. you can look at my scores on www.alaskabbqsupply.com.

It is alot of work! Next time I will be some other bodies to help. Hopefully this next summer we will have several of these contests in the Anchorage area. Best of luck at the next contest.

troy

Default Congrats!

That's great, thanks for posting that. I went to your site and saw your butt and brisket recipes, but couldn't see what you did in the seafood category that scored so highly - did I just miss it or is it not posted?

Saw on your site: "Want me to come to your Business and do a demonstration? It's FREE!"... wow, I've got a small two person biz; want to come wow us? We like to be wowed with food. Just kidding, I wouldn't yank your chain like that, but I'd be surprised if someone doesn't....

I'm really happy with my Smoke Vault, and have owned likely more than a dozen smokers over the years so please don't figure me to be a good prospect for your biz, but I am interested in more details about what you served the judges if you care to share.

tia

Troy makes a great brisket, I can attest to that. He let me pig out during the Wasilla sportsmen show last year. Good luck to all next year.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    That was me! I entered my first contest and placed 4th in Chicken, Ribs and Seafood. you can look at my scores on www.alaskabbqsupply.com.

It is alot of work! Next time I will be some other bodies to help. Hopefully this next summer we will have several of these contests in the Anchorage area. Best of luck at the next contest.

troy
    yup !!! good job...now don't take after me and try something new with a winner like i did/do...refine what u have....i closed on the sale of my house on thurs day that week..friday rounded up the stuff from my storage rental at 8am sat..... set up for the weekends contest, i know what works and what don't but it's fun to see what the juges say ,,,,a coulpe time's i turned in the same thing and got differt scores..go figer...

Default social butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Troy makes a great brisket, I can attest to that. He let me pig out during the Wasilla sportsmen show last year. Good luck to all next year.
    Whop, is there anyone that you don't know? Man o man...

And especially folks that can make good eats too I bet. I'm starting to wonder why I still haven't cooked for you; lets change that, OK?

Sounds like I need to have you and ATValaska and Troy over to my house for a cook-off. I could score the results in between mouthfuls from all of your recipes!!! Sounds like a winning combination in my book anyway.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Sounds like I need to have you and ATValaska and Troy over to my house for a cook-off.
    I'm game, yes, for fun. I do only cook for fun because if it gets more serious than that it becomes work and I wouldn't to ever cook for work !

Name the date, sir.

Well i did it again ...(3 YEARS in a row!! ) " FAIR-BQ "..Grand Champ = Squeal On U BBQ! (me)...... At the fair last week, so now i get a break........ and do some fund raising for our Oct "jack" trip

Default jdi

i wish you luck at the jdi, just have all your ducks in a row because you are cooking against some of the best in the world, i will be there, just look for fatback kookers we are from nc, don't wait to buy your stuff there because there is nothing there but a small town, take your lump , your smoking wood, propane tank full of gas with a torch just in case it is raining and your stuff gets damp.
    i am pulling a 12 foot cooker with a 4 foot fire box, because we use only hickory wood for cooking.
    again
    good luck to you, be friendly with the people and be ready to sell a lot of meat because its all one big party, remember bring all your stuff
    eaglec