Thread: Upper Nenana this week end

Default Upper Nenana this week end

Ok I am sure that most of this info could be gained by a forum serach, but I am short on time. I am going to float the upper section of the nenana this weekend. Plan on putting in above raindeer hills and spending the might on the roadless section.

Where should I take out? I want to spend 4-5 hours on the river the second day. Are there things I should be aware of (ie log jams, rapids ect)? I am good up to and including class 3. I will be in a 14 ft bailer and will have two newbies with me. I wnat to avoid any real big water and just float and see the sights.

Thanks for your help.

If you are putting in on the Denali Hwy it is only 17 river miles from there to the first Parks Highway bridge. This is all slow class I water. Its moving between 2-3 mph so allowing for 5-8 hours is ideal. If you wish to continue to float down to another take out location aprrox. at mile 213 on the parks highway will extend your trip somewhat, but this is all with the road only 1/2 mile away and the railroad on the other side of you. Of course the rivers are always changing and things can happen all the time I would be very surprised to find a river wide log jam on the upper nenana. Just be aware of jet boats that run from Bruskasna Creek down to the first parks highway bridge.

Hope that helps

Thanks. How is the camping on the 17 miles of river you mentioned? I go low impact and try not to leave a trace. I am not to interested in established camp sites as they contain trash and carved trees and just take away fro the reason I am there.

Also, what is the wildlife like? Are bears an issue? any other advise is welcome.

I did not get to go last weekend but will be there this weekend. I am going to float the raindeer hills section and camp. I will be in a orange 14ft bailer. If anyone is on the river and sees us, swing by for a beer and a lie or two.

I did this float this Sat-Sun. Very nice float. Lots of camping areas with great views. Very calm water and tons of peace and quiet. We did not see another person until late Saturday when the river tour jet boat past us once. He was there and gone and we had the whole river to our selfs. Blue berrys werer every where so we had blueberry pan cakes for B-Fast. My 9 YO made a plaster cast of a few moose and caribou tracks she found on the bank. We did not get rained on and the sun even peaked through a time or two.

This is a very easy float and could be done i a day. Great first time over nighter. I would recomend it to anyone just getting started. No white water and no problem with braids.

how was the fishing? glad you had a good time. take care, abel6wt

Not much in the way of fish. A few grayling in clear water but that was it