Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOG Authorizes NEW Residents Only Moose Hunt

Thumbs up BOG Authorizes NEW Residents Only Moose Hunt

Although this has been stated in previous threads, it warrants a thread of it's own, in case others missed it. The need to get the word out is priceless and the time is short. The Predator Control Effort and Antler Restrictions previously placed in Unit 13 have come to bear fruit. The ADF&G Bio has told the BOG that the taking of Surplus Moose with Three (3) yep 3, will not have an effect on the herd population. So.....

The BOG has authorized a New Moose Hunt for Unit 13
    Alaskan Residents Only
    August 15 thru August 25
    Spike/Fork Antlers or Over 50" or 3 or more Brow Tines on one side.

If you wait til September to hunt, it will be back to the 4 Brow Tine Law. There are a lot of 3 Brow Tiner's up there and the Dept wants them culled. Probably one of the finest opportunities in the State right now for exceptional over the counter harvest moose hunting.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Not sure I agree with the editorial comments made by AKres, but here's the link:

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...mm-7-28-10.pdf

By the way, that's a unit 13 bull from last year in my sig line.

[QUOTE=Chisana;779588 By the way, that's a unit 13 bull from last year in my sig line.[/QUOTE]

man o man Nice Bull These Predator Control Efforts are paying dividends much speedier than even the Dept ever imagined. Hopefully this years Multiple Hunts there will yield similar results as yours for everyone. Good Luck to you again this year.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Just a point to remember reguarding these new changes. Between the dates of Aug 10th thur the 25th there is going to be a huge increase of road hunters and some of them don't exactly use their heads reguarding shootiing off or across roads. I have seen it bad on Lake Louise Road AND the Denali Highway. Be warned, the troopers do place sting operations by placing stuffed moose along road ways so please, use your heads if you will be out durring this time period....

Where is this going to be officially posted? I just looked on the ADF&G website and did not see any EO's or reg changes showing this.

AKres - I read your attachment and am I to understand that the originaly awarded Tier I caribou permits are still valid and that BOG is going to issue additional caribou permits to those of us who applied and did not get a permit? I'm assuming that we will be notified by mail if we are the second round of chosen ones? Seems like a lot of work to be done in 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    AKres - I read your attachment and am I to understand that the originaly awarded Tier I caribou permits are still valid and that BOG is going to issue additional caribou permits to those of us who applied and did not get a permit? I'm assuming that we will be notified by mail if we are the second round of chosen ones? Seems like a lot of work to be done in 10 days.
    For Caribou....Yes. That is correct. Computers do most of the "work" today. A click of the mouse will be all that is required. The slowest part is the USPS, it would be grand if the Dept could get with it and use email, but they are still a might bit intellectually challenged.

But for this New Special Moose Hunt, all you need is a General Hunt Harvest Ticket. It is open to every Resident in the Great State of Alaska.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Where is this going to be officially posted? I just looked on the ADF&G website and did not see any EO's or reg changes showing this.
    They will attempt to keep it low key and out of the media as much a possible. That is why those of us on the internet need to make it widely known to all Hunters wanting to kill a Moose.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

What? another hunt based on where you live? #;^)

It's curious that when seasons were originally set for this year that there didn't seem to be any surplus and now all of a sudden there are surplus animals everywhere after the Manning case ruling. What, did all this years calf crop mature magically in a few months?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I was thinking along similar lines twodux. Maybe BOG is just tired of this whole issue and is trying to just eliminate the problem once and for all...kind of a "if this is what you want, you get it, screw y'all" mentality

with all the drama associated with this hunt and it's relatively bizarre history, one can see the twisted logic of it..even if its a far fetched idea...

It is not an EO; the action was taken by the BOG. See my link to the BOG website.

AKres - I read your attachment
    I posted the link, not AKres.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    They will attempt to keep it low key and out of the media as much a possible. That is why those of us on the internet need to make it widely known to all Hunters wanting to kill a Moose.
    Who is "they"? Didn't you say ADFG wanted these bulls culled, so wouldn't "they" be promoting the hunt? Knowing about the opportunity is only a small part of "killing a moose.", but good job keeping the internet hunters informed.

For those unfamiliar with Unit 13 Moose Hunting:
    It is very unique part of the state, whereas Spot and Stalk Methods yield exceptional results. In many areas, you can spot a Moose at distances measured in Miles.
    It is vey easily accessed, Completely surrounded and crisscrossed with Highways, Secondary Roads, Rivers and ATV Trails.
    Thousands of places to land on Floats or Wheels.
    There are a LOT of 3 Brow Tine Bulls, much less than 50", yet very much legal under the new regulations.
    This years hunt will start earlier than the rest of the road connected areas, so it will allow you to get your Moose before others even pack their gear.
    Even a Day Hunt can be productive in the unit.
    This is a Golden Opportunity to Alaskan's, one that might not come along ever again.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Too much misinformation being given out on all this

There are several threads relating to this topic and the recent emergency BOG meeting results. And there is a lot of misinformation being presented.

First off, if anyone wants to listen to the emergency BOG meeting, the archive is online here:
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/alaska..._medium=social

Scroll down, it is either the 1:48pm tagged archive that the meeting begins, or the 3:13pm tagged archive. I don't recall offhand...I listened live to the entire meeting and took notes.

As Becky Schwanke, the Glenallen area biologist explained, the Dept recently was able to conduct an aerial photo-census of the Nelchina herd and determined that there are approx 45,000 animals. Nearly 15,000 are this years calf crop. The Dept wants to keep the herd between 35,000 - 40,000 animals due to range concerns.

Chisana (thanks!) posted the preliminary emergency BOG meeting results. The Newsminer also has an article today on some of this with some quotes from ADFG staff:
    http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...dow_left_top_4

All this, including the new general moose hunting season, will be posted on ADFG website in time. No one in the Dept is trying to keep this quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Who is "they"? Didn't you say ADFG wanted these bulls culled, so wouldn't "they" be promoting the hunt?
    Knowing about the opportunity is only a small part of "killing a moose.", but good job keeping the internet hunters informed.
    Yup, "they" is ADF&G. Would it come as a shock to you, to learn that "they" will promote to hunt to those of their choosing?
    But wouldn't you agree that the first and foremost IMPORTANT part of killing a Moose, is learning of the opportunity's existence?
    I don't know of too many hunters these days, that don't use the internet and certainly would not dis them for doing so.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

For Caribou....Yes. That is correct. Computers do most of the "work" today. A click of the mouse will be all that is required. The slowest part is the USPS, it would be grand if the Dept could get with it and use email, but they are still a might bit intellectually challenged.

But for this New Special Moose Hunt, all you need is a General Hunt Harvest Ticket. It is open to every Resident in the Great State of Alaska.
    I understood it to be only open to resident of the select communities.

If you want to think along the lines of conspiracy theories, one could imagine somthing along the lines of this. With the "NEW" direction ADF&G is taking (Corey Rossi as Director of Wildlife Conservation), along the lines of abundance based wildlife management, ADF&G may be looking for a success story for the new predator control schemes so they could ram through these schemes all over the State.

But they wouldn't do a thing like that would they? And Akres wouldn't be a shill for them trumpeting the miraculous success of predator control would he? http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Effectiveness

Naw..... heck, what are the chances?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I normally hunt 20C, and already had plans to do a Ranger/camping trip to Eureka Aug 13-15. I'm now trying to get everyone in our party to extend the trip to the 16th so we can have a day and half to hunt moose. Plus, I might get lucky and get one of these additional caribou permits. If I don't get a caribou permit and we don't get a moose out of Eureka then I'm still planning on my 20C hunt. If I do get a caribou permit then I'll do my best to harvest a bou, hunt for a moose in GMU 13, and go into 20C and help my buddies get some moose. Good news for me. Although I can also see how other forum members have made specific hunt plans based upon Tier 1 results, etc. and may not be as flexible as I am.

Yup, "they" is ADF&G. Would it come as a shock to you, to learn that "they" will promote to hunt to those of their choosing?
    Do you know how one goes about getting on this special list of worthy people?

redundant post sorry
    Last edited by broncoformudv; 07-30-2010 at 14:03. Reason: redundant

Sweet. Giving up my 'bou hunt I had planned to go find a moose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast