Thread: Nautical charts

Default Nautical charts

I got on the NOAA website recently intending to order a stack of current navigation charts. Every one I needed was listed as "temporarily unavailable." ***? Is this some sort of new Homeland Security deal?

Where to buy the charts?

Default There are a number of places .. ..

You can get maps of most of the 'local' places at Alaska Mining and Diving, West Marine, or some of the other Boat shops.

I have even picked up one in a hurry down at the Fish House in Seward, so I would suspect you could find them in Homer, other places in Seward, and perhaps even in Whittier.

-- Gambler

Default oops ..... :)

Just noticed you are in Haines .... I am not sure where you would be able to get them. In your shoes, I think I would still give West Marine or Alaska Mining and Diving a call and see if you could order one from them.

-- Gambler

Thumbs up The map store at

Alaska Pacific University has every Alaska map/chart known to man and I bet they would ship them too. Prices were very reasonable IMO. I believe marine charts were around $15-$20 each. And topo maps were cheaper than the marine charts if I remember right.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Alaska Pacific University has every Alaska map/chart known to man and I bet they would ship them too. Prices were very reasonable IMO. I believe marine charts were around $15-$20 each. And topo maps were cheaper than the marine charts if I remember right.
    This is where I get my maps. they always have the currrent maps. ALong with that they also have cd map programs
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Thanks guys

I was surprised that the maps were not available from the primary source (NOAA). That is where the vendors have to buy them. I'll give Alaska Pacific University a call.

Dan

Does anyone know of a CD with Alaskan navigational charts where you can "hover" over a point and it shows the LAT/LONG's? I just want one I can use with my home computer, not one that goes along with or plugs into a GPS.

You can get nav/net software that has all the charts and you can run it on your computer. A bit spendy as it's designed to be used on a laptop hooked up to your gps which provides a really nice setup.

http://www.maptech.com/water/chartNa...rPro/index.cfm

Default Free NOAA Charts

You can also go here www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov and download Electronic Navigational Charts at no cost. You also need to load a program to read them which are linked from the NOAA site. They too are available at no cost...I used the Fugawi program myself. I just downloaded a few charts a couple of nights ago, so haven't really studied them too closely, but they look to be decent quality. Didn't notice about any GPS coordinates, but I wasn't looking for it either. If I had a larger boat, I'd get a laptop to carry with me that had the charts loaded......but I don't.

Not bad for free, I think.

Default E-Chart

I use program called MapSource from Garmin. There should be a link from garmin.com.You can download / upload waypoints, routes, and tracks from your Garmin GPS to you computer.

Default coordinates

Maptech offshore navigator does just that----gps coordinates change with the movement of the cursor over the charts. Excellent program. I use it in a laptop for my chartplotting.

Default Laptop, Fugawi, & Bluetooth GPS

You can turn an old laptop into an efficient, accurate chartplotter by using Fugawi (as in "where the f*** are we") software, or the like (maptech, etc.). Most GPS sensors (USB & Bluetooth) communicate on NMEA 0183 protocol which these softwares recognize. And the great thing is you get to use free charts from NOAA. It's by far the simplest,money-smart way to chartplot. And when your anchored up in a cove, and get the mood, you can pop in a DVD like "Full metal jacket" or "Snow white" (depending on your audience). How many chart plotters can do that? Of course and as always, this is just my opinion, there are many to choose from.

Best of luck to ya. PM me if you have any questions about this.