Thread: Ivishak water level right now

Default Ivishak water level right now

Can anyone tell me the water level right now on the Ivishak. Heading up in a couple of days.

Leave in 2 days. Any reports??

You are going either way. So does the level really matter??? It has been wet so it should be higher.

Preparedness never hurts polardds. This isn't my first rodeo and it is nice to have an idea if you can.

Correct going if it's flooding or drought.

Well it has been very nice the last two weeks. Lots of warm weather. Not like down here in South Central. So the melt off should keep you afloat. I was not meaning any offense I was just stating that our group too tries to plan ahead, but in the end we end up going and still having a good time no matter what the water levels are.

From what I see in Deadhorse, the hot weather has really brought the rivers up over the last few days. I would expect you will have easy running heading up, but the weather is expected to cool and the levels could drop quickly. There is some rain expected, so you should be fine.

Good luck on your trip. Keep it off the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Preparedness never hurts.

That is for sure. I just did a search and couldn't find any info that would be of use to you. I can however appreciate why you are asking the question as it will effect many aspects of your trip. Have a good time man and if you find time, email me after your trip. I really enjoyed the pics from your last trip.

Don't forget the esl

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'm planning a hunt in late Aug up on the Haul Rd. 4 of us going to run a 18' lowe river runner w/45hp jet up the Ivishak. I think I'm going to be appointed Capt of the boat just because I have a SeaRunner. Never done river runs, so I'm looking for some advise on making this trip SAFE. I welcome all advise and experience from those that have done it.

You better get some practice in this summer. The Sag/Ivishak is a difficult run. AKNIMROD is the subject matter expert on here about that river. I made the trip two years ago with my 18 ft sprint, which is tunneled, killed caribou and seen some beautiful country, awesome river to run. The problem most people have is packing everything they own in their boat and taking off up the river, they are too heavy to ever make it out of the Sag, we made day trips and that worked for us.

Lots of jet boats were damaged up there, some from the river, some from the trailer ride up, be prepared!

I was going to tell you to talk to helmuth and aknimrod but looks like that has already been said. Went up with helmuth 2 years ago and it was a real eye opener. Great experience but a lot of pushing and guessing on which braids to take. Good Luck.

That river is a boat eater, water drops as you watch it. From what you have mentioned already with 4 guys and gear, that will be a load. Last time I was on the lower part, the water dropped and the boat ramp was dry. We had to drag our raft the last mile. That river is really airboat country, it can be run but it is not for the novice. Would be much better to do a drop camp and float out. The drive up alone destroys boats every year. Guys throw all their gear in the boat and by the time they get there the bottom is beat out. Beautiful country though with some great fishing.

Good luck either way, if you do go early is better than later as the water drops fast with the first freeze.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Grizz, is the 45 Hp out the jet or rated HP? Either way I think you will have too much gear unless you do 2 trips, a 45 simply won't be able to plane out that much stuff. We owned a 18' with 50 HP yamaha and took 4 guys moose hunting. Took 2 trips, both times couldn't really plane. A few years a go 3 of us shot a lunker of a bear on the big SU. Took 4 hours to go the 12 miles back upstream, we couldn't plane. We did have a great beaching though after dark. So long story short, be careful and try to trim weight!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Under powered and no tunnel

Most of the boats I see having problems are MWR, under powered, and non tunnel hulled. I made it in my old 18' 90/65 jet w/4 guys. Make sure you take some of that quick setting two part putty for holes. Running the river on step is no problem. It's finding a hole to stop in and having enough distance to get back on step if your under powered as we were.

ivashak.jpg

helmuth check your pm its full cant send any more question till you empty it Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth View Post
    You better get some practice in this summer. The Sag/Ivishak is a difficult run. AKNIMROD is the subject matter expert on here about that river. I made the trip two years ago with my 18 ft sprint, which is tunneled, killed caribou and seen some beautiful country, awesome river to run. The problem most people have is packing everything they own in their boat and taking off up the river, they are too heavy to ever make it out of the Sag, we made day trips and that worked for us.

Lots of jet boats were damaged up there, some from the river, some from the trailer ride up, be prepared!

sorry skybust... I emptied it out.

I thought seriously about running the river with my boat 1852 alweld tunnel with a 70 jet 2 guys and small camp but am worried about trashing my boat

Before hitting the Sag/Ivishak/Echooka, make sure you have insurance on your boat! I pay about between $300-$400 a year in insurance and it has more than paid for itself. I'm a lot more careful up there now, but the first year I drove the river I beat up the bottom pretty bad. I've run that river with my Predator for several years and consider myself very capable of navigating it to get up to the fork in the mountains, but every year I do add a little character to the boat regardless of how careful I am. It is amazing how fatigue, coupled with downstream running and sun in the eyes can make for a tough trip. Play the sun if you plan to travel the river a lot. Plan your day to keep the sun at your back.