Thread: Simms G3's prone to pin holes?

Default Simms G3's prone to pin holes?

Hey guys,

Just a couple of weeks ago, I purchased my first pair of g3's from mountain view. The fit is excellent and they felt really solid. After just a few trips out though, I noticed I already had some pin holes in them, and one more obvious hole around the crotch. Now, I have not hiked very much with them. I walked maybe 1 mile total with them since I have only fished the Kenai at Centennial, and in Hope for some pinks.

I emailed them and they told me I could just return them to Mountain view and exchange them since it had only been a couple of weeks.

Tonight I took out the new pair and walked about .25 to .5 miles along Campbell creek. I got into a bit of bush but nothing that my old $100 waders could not handle. And now, Ive already got 3-4 pin holes in them?

Does this sound normal to you guys? Ive used a lot cheaper waders in the past that have never had pin holes from walking along weeds or tall grass or a few dead branches. (Campbell Creek).

For the g3 or even g4 owners, would you just live it with and fix it? Or exchange them again. I would actually feel embarrassed to return them even though Ive done nothing wrong. But how can I mess up 2 really good pair of waders?

Any comments or advice appreciated.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I have used simms wader for about 10 years now. The only reason I retired the 1st pair was for the zipper model. the only holes I have gotten have been from knife cuts - my fault. And I beat waders pretty hard.

so my take - this is strange indeed. may be it is how they have been stored / shipped. I had a jacket the the zipper was worn on and Simms replaced the whole thing.

Hey, didn't I buy a small freezer from you a couple of years ago? It is still going and pretty full right now.

Thats so funny John! You did buy that freezer from me! Im in the same apt looking for another freezer for this years catch.

Thanks for the info about the Simms. So, its not normal to have this little wet blotches all over the place? I got both pairs from the same store so it may have been a bad batch? Or bad shipping/storing like you said. Im just guessing here because I have not clue. Both pairs have done the exact same thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by traderjon View Post
    I have used simms wader for about 10 years now. The only reason I retired the 1st pair was for the zipper model. the only holes I have gotten have been from knife cuts - my fault. And I beat waders pretty hard.

so my take - this is strange indeed. may be it is how they have been stored / shipped. I had a jacket the the zipper was worn on and Simms replaced the whole thing.

Hey, didn't I buy a small freezer from you a couple of years ago? It is still going and pretty full right now.

Take them back Jonathon.
    I bought my G3's in 2004, have walked many miles in them, tripped and fallen and beat on them and have had exactly one leak. And that was caused by a sharp point on a rafts rowing frame.

The only way I can identify pin holes or any other type of leak is to take the waders off after having been in the water for some time and turn them inside out. In my case I've had a couple of quarter-sized dark spots on the inside that indicated leakage. I've never noticed water coming in and have never gotten wet, I've just had those spots show up. My leaks were at seam intersections and were the result of years of wear. Simms repaired them and returned them for free. Each time they're replaced the booties, too. My G3s are the older models with the leg seams on the sides. The newer ones have the seams on the front and back. That appears to ease the flex wear at the seams that I've experienced.

Put some alcohol on a rag and rub it over the dry fabric. Any holes show up instantly as dark spots. That's from Simms themselves, and it works like a charm.

As for pinholes, Goretex quality is variable and something Simms should be checking all the time. I'm acquainted with a company that makes other kinds of clothes from Goretex and they set up their own testing department to evaluate each roll of Goretex they get. And they've rejected whole lots of the stuff from time, sending it right back for replacement.

You're making me wonder if Simms doesn't do their own fabric testing, or if somehow a bad batch slipped through. And your experience sure sounds like a bad batch of fabric in recent shipments. I'm betting Simms is hearing about this from all over the place if that's what's going on. Lots of red faces at Simms if that's going on, I'm sure. But they're a good company with good manufacturing practices, and they will stand behind their gear.

Take it back and keep doing it till you get a good pair. Not your fault, and not the store's fault. If the store gives you any grief, get on the phone to Simms. Lots of other stores would like to have a Simms dealership.

I'm a former fly shop owner. First, Simms waders are the most durable waders on the market, and are not any more (or less) prone to pin holes than any other brand. Unless you're walking through devils club (or some other spiky stuff) you should NOT be getting pin holes from walking through grass. Either return them to where you bought them, or if you're uncomfortable doing that, send them back to Simms for replacement. Keep returning them until you get a pair that doesn't leak. It sure sounds like you got a bad batch of waders.

I've really thrashed on my Simms waders and they've come through with flying colors. Keep taking them back until you get a good pair.

Well guys, I fished the waders a bit more this weekend and saw the same few wet marks.

I know I should have done the alcohol test but I did it the old school way instead. I sat in the tub for 10 minutes.

Sure enough, I had a few wet marks. I was really hoping I didnt and that maybe I got wet before I got in them, or got wet as I was taking them off but it was really when I was in them.

So today I got an email from Tony at simms and he basically says: What do you want to do? We'll do it no problem.
    I had initially written to them telling them I kind of felt bad returning a second pair so he said that he'll take care of that and call the shop himself.

Gotta say, these guys + st.croix rods have by far the best CS Ive ever dealt with anywhere for any product.
    I know a lot of guys on this forum have mentioned that, but it kind of feels good to witness it first hand.

Thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hey guys,

Just a couple of weeks ago, I purchased my first pair of g3's from mountain view. --- I noticed I already had some pin holes in them, and one more obvious hole around the crotch. ---I walked maybe 1 mile total---I emailed them and they told me I could just return them to Mountain view and exchange them since it had only been a couple of weeks.

Tonight I took out the new pair and walked about .25 to .5 miles ---I got into a bit of bush but ---now, Ive already got 3-4 pin holes---

Does this sound normal to you guys?

---would you just live it with and fix it? Or exchange them again. ---But how can I mess up 2 really good pair of waders?

Any comments or advice appreciated.
    Here are my points:

All waders will leak, sooner or later, and mostly sooner - and more often after 1-2 trips than people are willing to admit. There is no "normal" for breathable waders; the same wader brand will get pinhole and seam leaks like no tomorrow for some people, and not others. The "crotch" leak location, and "bit of brush" comment, suggests typical wear locations and situations which cause leaks. This can happen on the first day that you wear waders, or after 20 days, or 50 days, or longer. It's not like you get to walk thru brush for 200 days and then expect to get pinhole leaks. Those leaks happen when they happen. A thorn, a sharp twig, stuff like that. Seam leaks are another matter.

I have my doubts about the "bad batch" theory; but its possible. Alternatively, it could be "bad luck".