Thread: Wife and daughter caught their first salmon today!

Default Wife and daughter caught their first salmon today!

Went down to the RR Ferry today with the family and fished the Kenai. It was pretty slow, but my wife and daughter caught their first salmon today! My daughter (9) landed an acrobatic red with just some coaching. The funniest was my wife. She said she really didn't want to fish, but after a few hours she picked up a rod, and after her 3rd cast I heard her stuttering "ffff-ish, fff-ish, oh, it's, fff-ish". She did a great job and I was able to net it pretty quickly. Then, when my wife saw a nice big cataraft with 5 people and a couple of dogs in it, she actually said "Let's get one of those by next year". So, how tough are these to learn how to handle. Great day all around, except my 7 y.o. son has yet to catch a salmon all by himself, so he is pretty dejected right now. Hopefully, he will land some kind of salmon soon.

Goose

haha! Great to hear man.
    I always love it when my woman gets excited about fishing!
    Now you have permission to get 'one of those floating things that had the dogs on it'!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

my 10 year old finally got his first this year by dip netting... could try that...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Great story!

That right there is what it is all about. Nice job
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Good job getting the wife and kids out there.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by gooseafcrna View Post
    So, how tough are these to learn how to handle
    Eric,
    Glad to hear you had a good day down there. I thought for sure someone would chime in on the raft. I bought a 14' round raft this year and love it (my canoe has been collecting dust since). Teach your wife to row so you can fish
    Check out the rafting section of the forum, there's a lot of good info there and it's a great place to ask questions.
    Scott