Thread: Unit 20A caribou hunt

Default Unit 20A caribou hunt

A buddy and I have both drawn a permit in this unit. I spoke to the biologist for this unit and he told me that they are in the foothills near the upper wood river drainage and a few other creek drainages west of there just south of the japan hills. we have got a pilot that is willing to take us in there next month. I am just wondering if anyone had insight as to a good drop point? Is there a place to cross the wood river on foot? cause it looks to be flatland just east of there. Any help would be grately appreciated as i cant afford to do any scouting.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not flat land... lots of hills you will be dropped on a bare ridge. hunt Japan hills a little later in the season as they start out in 13 early Aug and start to wander that way... if your looking for an opening day hunt you will want to fly out of cantwell rather then Fairbanks and start from that end.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

yeah we are hunting at the end of the season in mid september

I as well drew that tag, and am not going to fly in due to my finance's. I just got back form a scouting trip and saw 5 nice bou and LOTS of sheep. Did not make it the way to the wood, but it is non-motorized past moody creek. I plan on hunting the end of Aug as well. I am planning on sitting in camp and glassing all day if need be. It is a fun place and beautiful, but a hard ride. Good luck and enjoy this hunt.

nice thanks for the info j. i spoke to the pilot some more and he was telling me about the small amount of landing points depending on the timing in the season. the bou apparently move out of the foorhills in september and head out towards the japan hills. the only problem is the pilot spoke about the ground possibly being to wet to land on that late into the season. so we might have to go in august and do a ridge landing and hunt in the hills.

Can I go? Sounds like somebody I know! Maybe I better get that Argo.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.