Thread: Eklutna Trailrace Report

Default Eklutna Trailrace Report

Stopped by the trailrace this evening for about 40 minutes.

Saw a lot of fish flopping and rolling, but no one was catching. I tried a vibrax and pixie for about 30 minutes with no luck. May return over the weekend and try floating some roe and see if that helps. The guys soaking off the bottom were not catching anything either.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

FYI : Its Tailrace not Trailrace

Hukd on foniks werkd fer mee!
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I've been there every day for 4 or 5 days now.

The catching is getting worse rapidly, but more fish seem to be staging there. It's annoying. Water level has gone down probably 2 feet in the last few days, which might have something to do with the change in the bite.

I was there tonight for a couple hours watching fish jump over and into my line. Makes me want to scream....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I've been there every day for 4 or 5 days now.
    Try going there at Night. Fish all night and into the wee hours of the morning. Silvers don't like the daytime. Better yet, try your luck at the slough between the RR Tracks and the Tailrace. It is about a hundred yards above the tracks on the south bank of the Knik. Easy Access and better fishing, without the crowds.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default splashers/rollers

Most of those fish jumping and splashing are reds, that is why everone sees tons of fish with not a lot of action going on. Saw a few silvers caught the other day, but saw even more reds accidentally snagged.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Try going there at Night. Fish all night and into the wee hours of the morning. Silvers don't like the daytime. Better yet, try your luck at the slough between the RR Tracks and the Tailrace. It is about a hundred yards above the tracks on the south bank of the Knik. Easy Access and better fishing, without the crowds.
    I'll second that. In all the years that I've fished for silvers, it has been my experience that once the sun tops the trees the bite dies. Granted, with the clouds you have to estimate when that is, but the vast majority of my silvers have been caught between 4:30 and 7:00 am.

The only exception I've found to that was in the tidal influence area of the Little Su, when you catch a school just in from the salt water.

Couple things I've learned when fishing at for the Tailrace...

1. the gents and ladies sitting there day after day soaking eggs on the bottom aren't really interested in catching fish, not sure what they are there for but in three years I've never seen one of them catch anything. hint... don't do what they do...

2. Vibrax at the 'race is for tourists who don't know better. occasionally one will get lucky and they have a slightly higher success rate than the soakers but still....

3. Store bought roe is useless...

4. in general the best time is early morning (as the sun comes up) for about 3 hours and only for those angler drifting eggs out into the silt of the Knik

5. Roe is generally your best chance but if everyone else is doing it sometimes you need to offer something else to catch the fishes attention... change colors, weights, or even bait... Shrimp often works quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I've heard about this spot for years. I thought the Railroad made it off-limits a couple years ago, though. Regardless, where do you access it from?

For what it's worth, I usually try to get there pre-dawn and fish for a few hours. Sometimes the schedule/family don't allow that, but I know silvers like the wee-hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Couple things I've learned when fishing at for the Tailrace...

1. the gents and ladies sitting there day after day soaking eggs on the bottom aren't really interested in catching fish, not sure what they are there for but in three years I've never seen one of them catch anything. hint... don't do what they do...
    Actually, the last few times I've been there they have been the only ones catching anything. It's sporadic, but they are just letting shrimp sit near the bottom and seem to be about the only half-way consistent catchers lately...lol. This is not normally the case. They just sit there in the way so others can't fish where they are. Sometimes I think that's the only reason they are there.

Tail race fishing. What works for me.
    the water is murky, & the mix zone even more so. (bait visibility issues)
    I use a medium size bright colored spin n glo with eggs. Just enough weight to allow it to drift slow in the mix zone.
    visibility for the fish is maybe 2 feet, so a slow bounce/drag.
    Each cast about 1- 2 minutes. Retrieve slow & sometime pick one up on the retrieve
    Takes a while & some gear to learn the snag locations.
    Tips: cast a sinker (no hook) a few times to see if any new snags showed up.
    Remember the drift location, sometimes any change means you find a snag.
    use strong line & a weaker leader, have some spin-n-glo spares & various colors for time of day, & learn to tie the egg know.
    Smaller hooks sometimes bend or pull of the snags & you loose less gear (but may miss a few fish) trade-offs.
    i set up about 6 spin-n-glo's set up before I go. 30 lb line, 17 lb leader. 1/2 to 3/4 oz rubber core, 1/0 hook with egg knot & a bigger than normal chunk of eggs (less dolly bites, less hook expose to snag & I get a few more casts/bait).
    Don't jerk on the initial bite, wait for a steady pull. I sometime let the fish set the hook buy lifting the rod slow & giving a weak but steady pull till the fish gets aggressive & mad & pulls back hard. It's OK to pull the hook out of the throat/stomach when they're on the bank

Slow bright colored but moving bait works for me. Early morning tip is a good one also.
    A place to go & fish with patience. After all, It's allot about fishing, not just catching at the tail race.

Same in the slow current of the race its self. just enough weight to let the bait move.
    It does work to just sit, 1 to 1-1/2 oz weight in the mix zone & wait for a bite.
    Depends on the mood of the fisherman which way to go.
    Lures are good exercise here, but have been less productive for me. I think it's to fast for the fish to see & react to the lure , they loose sight of it before they can grab it. (visibility issue again)

Hope this helps some one get a 12 pounder, they are there.