Thread: Jet boating the porcupine

Default Jet boating the porcupine

Anyone ever done it? Is it possible? I'm looking to do some caribou hunting.

The Porcupine is a big river and no problem for a jet boat. I have hunted up there a few different years for moose. Great country and and interesting river. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the area.

Can you run a big inboard on porcupine??

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    The Porcupine is a big river and no problem for a jet boat. I have hunted up there a few different years for moose. Great country and and interesting river. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the area.
    how far up do you need to go always wanted to head up there and do a moose/bou hunt was thinking next year

You could take a big IB waaay up there, past Old Crow (Yukon) for sure, and all the way to the Dempster up the Eagle if you were so inclined. Especially this year. Rain, rain and more rain up there.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I use to live in Ft. Yuk in the early 80s. All the locals only used props, all the way to Old Crow, without any problems. They ran the Yukon with props as well. Some big water and boats are lost every year or two. Be careful where the Porcupine and Yukon meet. If the weather turns bad, pull over, make a camp, and enjoy life...don't get in a hurry is what the locals always say...good advice. Have fun.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

i went up as far as the black river last year....super easy river to run that low. not sure what type of inboard or boat you have but i was my sportjon had no problem whatsoever. and it was fairly low water at the time. real good fishing too. i too was wondering about going boo hunting up there...anyone know how far up ud have to run to get into the caribou?
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!