Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for A Lab Puppy

Default Looking for A Lab Puppy

I am looking for a lab pup for hunting and house dog. Any breeders with pups in alaska? any advice on who to go with?

Saw some today on craigslist fairbanks farm and garden good price.

I got mine at the Dog pound... He makes some of those 300-500 dollar dogs look stupid. 13 years old now. My previous one came from there too. I will probably start watching for another one there.
    Tim

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

I suggest you start with the clubs. They are listed at Http;//www.alaskadognews.com in each issue. You can also check the shelter. Craigs list - be very careful. There are lots of backyard breeders not doing their homework. A good price is only as good as the dog and if they are advertising there they probably don't have good lab contacts or are despirate.
    That being said I bought my favorite dog at 10 weeks for $200 in 1985. Dogs his caliber are going for $800 -$1500 now. He was from a long line of FT dogs and was an awsome dog. But the breeder was a constant competitor, and both parents had FC'd with amature training and handling. That tells you a lot. If the breeder is not a trainer or competitor and sells you the puppy too easily, run away. If the parents aren't cleared for hip, eye and elbow problems that is no bargan.
    Shelter dogs are another option and Wetlands Retrievers can give you some tips there, may even have a line on a rehomed registered dog. The only down side with the shelter is you don't know the background. Some Labs just will not hunt, then what do you do with it. http://www.alaskadognews.com

Linda, you would be hard pressed to find an FC to FC labrador breeding today for under $3,000.

akhuntrzd if you're serious about a quality breeding, I'd check with the people from the Fairbanks Retriever Club and the Interior Alaska Gun Dog Assn. Both have websites you can google.

It could take awhile as breeding seems streaky. One month there aren't any pups and the next month there are several litters all at once. Have patience and keep your eyes open.

3000 for a dog? I have some swamp land in Minto Flats I will trade you!
    Tim

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Depends what you want to do Mit.
    Field trialers will spend thousands on a dog to train it, never mind the cost of the puppy. A family hunting dog does not need to be out of FCs and most likely would be way too much dog for the average person. These dogs have been bred to take high heat and need a lot of work and time before they are "family hunting dogs". Most people trialing with FC X FC are sending their dogs to a pro who will take that crazy drive and mold it into what you see in field trial dogs. Not to say that a less driven dog would come out of those litters, they can, but why pay that much. To some people if it doesn't trial its not worth the time.

I WAS one of those, spent thousands with Burns, DeVos, and Gonia as well as early training with the old timers in Washington in the 80's. Those trainers do not train to hunt, they train to trial. Two very different and virtually unrelated activities. I'm not interested in putting that much heat on a dog for sport anymore. Hunting is much more fun and a more relaxed dog is easier to train for that.

In '92 I got Dixie, a Snake Eyes grand daughter, out of the top Derby dog of 1990 (I think), and I had 2 others out of Kruggarand and dogs out of the older FT breedings so I had some comparison. Dixie was so nuts it took 3 years and a litter to pass a Sr. HT title training with Dan DeVos (Canadian pro) loved her for her GO.
    A better all around dog would be one from well balanced parents, FCs in the background, HT in the more recent relatives, or proven hunters, and dogs with obedience titles. Probably in the $700 - $1000 range depending on age, sometimes they drop the price when the pups get to 10 weeks. Still they should have all their paperwork in order, medical clearences, registration and any breeding contract info. One caution, we've seen people selling pups in local parking lots. One guy did it because he did not have any medical clearences and no papers for the sire. No club would let him advertise within the club. Personally, getting older and not interested in trialing Im leaning more towards a solid HT background with more attention on the breed standard. Not a SHOW look, to heavy, but a physical standard. FT breeders normally don't pay enough attention to physical traits. We've seen physical problems with dogs who are too fare from the breed standard developing injuries related to the hard work a hunting dog needs to do. Every month the clubs are listed here
    http://www.alaskadognews.com
    click on the calendar listing.

When you have had a pound dog retrieve your limit of Ducks threw the muck on Minto flats year after year...... It's priceless!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    When you have had a pound dog retrieve your limit of Ducks threw the muck on Minto flats year after year...... It's priceless!

Too bad it's not priceless when it succumbs to EIC.

My full breed chocolate is about to have pups in a couple weeks... yes the black one is the pops!! i don't have papers for my black lab... he's full breed also though. I'll be letting the pups go cheap.lab.jpg

mister weasel i was still hoping to raise one of those pups

i will post pics when their born and then 6-8 weeks they be ready to go.

sounds good. When are you expecting them by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    3000 for a dog? I have some swamp land in Minto Flats I will trade you!
    Spending some bucks for a good dog is worth it. And not only because of the hunting prowess, but also for it's certified hips and eyes, making sure there isn't too much inbreeding, etc. Talk to someone who's had a lab that developed problems with either...and they'll likely tell you to do your homework and spend the money. Though you can find a good "pound dog"...it's a needle in a haystack and naive to think that's the "best" way to go.
    That being said, you don't have to spend a couple grand for FT bloodlines to get a good hunting dog. I guess my point is, research what you buy whether you're spending $100 or $3000. If you don't know what to research, take the advice of others and get in touch with one of the gundog associations; not only are they a great source of knowledge, but they'll know of good litters in all price ranges. The last thing you want is for your future best friend to be crippled, blind, or have a number of other issues in their prime.
    One guy comes to mind that really knows his stuff about labs is Tom Simpson at Riverrun Kennels in Fairbanks. I'm sure there's others, but I know this guy. He advised me on a litter where the father was an FTC, but the ***** (I guess the censor software doesn't let you say *****, so replace the *** with "mom") never ran a test in her life and didn't even hunt alot; but he knew the bloodlines. Since the ***** didn't have any letters after her name, the pups were very reasonable. Turned out to be the best dog I've ever had the privilege to own.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Re: Weasles pups. No papers? going cheap? going 6-8 weeks? What was the purpose to breed I wonder? 1- No papers is a $50 dog. Going cheap= More cost later when the hips and elbows go out, Will they have all their shots, dewclaws clipped. 6 weeks, is an infant that still needs to be with its mother. You have a real job on your hands with a separated 6 week old pup unless you plan to wear it in a sling. A lot of people breed this way. I had to learn this the hard way. I bought my first dog with the same scenario. Put down at 6 mos with NO visible hip sockets and arthritis setting in. 6mos of age! I took home a 6 1/2 week old, and the pup had to sleep with me and take him to work in the car so I could take care of him every few hours. Its way too early. There are just some things that are better animal husbandry. Before you get a dog please do your homework and contact the clubs. A reasonably priced dog from Sr and Master titled dogs is probably available. Listings at www.alaskadognews.com

This is an intersting thread. I think Linda has nailed it on the head.

Weasel, I'm still waiting on those clearances. All I'm looking for is EIC, OFA, and CERF. I'll buy a pup and can probably place 2 more once I know the parents's clearances.

Here is a thread to those who are interested...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...unting-partner!!!!!

What about CNM clearances too? And what was the purpose of breeding? Linda is spot on. People need to quit breeding Labs & other dogs just to crank out pups -- period.

all i have to say is whew! I was in a mood. thanks you guys for restoring my faith in this forum.

There certainly is a ton of middle ground between puppy mill ethics and those of Linda and Co.
    I have paid nearly a thousand dollars for a well bred lab from a champion breeder that had no hunt and allergies that will, no doubt, limit his life because of all the associated treatments. But he is a great family dog and has been for over a decade.
    I also rescued a pointer from a shelter for a minimal donation – he too, is a great dog, and I am in the works of determining just how much hunt he has under all the enthusiasm.
    Nothing wrong with espousing your ethics but jumping to assumptions regarding Weasel’s intentions and pups just because he hasn’t laid out some aristocratic lineage of his pups is a bit unfair.
    My $.02

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast