Thread: Sag River Arctic Char in August

Default Sag River Arctic Char in August

Ive heard great things about char in the sag in august... any suggestions on what to use?

fly or spin fisherman?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

spin fishing

Never fished the Sag, but have fished for dollies a good bit in other areas. Be sure to take some 3/8 ounce Panther Martins in gold, silver (nickel), and metallic blue. Don't ask on the blue, it just works, don't know why. Also, take something in orange for sure. If you order on the Mepps website, you can buy them with single hooks already put on. With Mepps sizing, look at #3-4, in the same colors I mention earlier. Fish slow and ON the bottom of the deeper runs and holes. That is where all my big dollies have come from. Retrieve just fast enough to make the blades spin. 12-14 lb mono would be my preference for line. 6.5-7' med or med/heavy rod. Cabelas sells some really nice XML travel rods if you need something that flies well. Three piece rods that come in a hard tube. Not your typical "travel" rod. These are really nice rods. Good luck.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Pixies in orange, chartreuse, pink and blue are also agood bet.
    Cast quartering up stream and bounce them along bottom while following the lure with the rod tip. at the end of the drift slowly retrieve upstream. I like longer rods in the 8-10 foot range as it's easier to control the line and run them with 12# mono.

Smile

C'mon, dan - they're talking DOLLIES here.

Show us the PICTURE.

Gary

Dan's was worn out that pic, here are a few.

Tight Lines

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    C'mon, dan - they're talking DOLLIES here.

Show us the PICTURE.

Gary

Dan's is broke so here's few of mine.
    Sorry they aren't dollies though. They be bonafide Arctic Char.

Well, I do hate posting this pic, but here you go. 14 lb dolly on a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Steve

Love that picture.

Took it with my pentax Opio W60, the trick is stick hand in freezing water take photo, look, cuss, and repeat. Took me a while to get a keeper. LOL Hard to see the view finder without sticking my head in the water.

We are just pushing your buttons Dan that is a great fish and photo..

Steve

The Pentax Optio are great cameras. I have a W20 and my wife has a W60. Perfect float trip cameras. It was my Optio 20 that my wife used to take the pic of my dolly above. Notice the sky in the background. I could not convince her to get out of the tent and take the picture. "It's too cold, its too cold". I can still hear it. Two years in NW Alaska, three remote float trips specifically targeting dollies, and finally get a decent dolly. Can't get the wife out of the tent to snap a picture. Just no justice in the world. Ha ha...

-Dan