Thread: November Deer Hunt

Default November Deer Hunt

Was looking to put together a one week deer hunt in mid November. Never hunted deer before and was thinking about Kodiak, Montague or Hitchinbrook. Was going to hunt with my girlfriend who has some big game huning experience. Not looking to spend a ton of money, just an affordable drop off hunt that will bring some success. Any advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated. Would it be cheaper to take the ferry to Kodiak or Cordova or to just fly there?

I'm starting to sound like the tourism promoter for Kodiak. If you can get to Kodiak on airline miles or a cheap ticket I would go there. Having hunted both there and Montague I far prefer Kodiak. When I looked the price for the ferry and a vehicle was about the same price as flying two people to Kodiak or Cordova. That was two years ago.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm starting to sound like the tourism promoter for Kodiak. If you can get to Kodiak on airline miles or a cheap ticket I would go there. Having hunted both there and Montague I far prefer Kodiak. When I looked the price for the ferry and a vehicle was about the same price as flying two people to Kodiak or Cordova. That was two years ago.
    This was interesting enough to check out, the current 2wk advance for one traveler on Alaska Air is $394.50 Round trip, Anch to Kdk, and the Ferry Homer to Kdk is $152.00 for 15ft car, $180 for 19ft car which I think covered my F100 pickup tho it is a stepside so maybe a few ft shorter than most trucks. Those are one way Ferry fares,

The driver rides free this summer, in winter (after Nov 1) there looks to be a 30 percent discount on riders and vehicles

Imagine all the gear you could bring in your car much less Truck, including packing meat back, vs. two bags at 50 lbs each
    Oh, also should not forget to mention,
    Today the Anchorage Jets are Fogged out for the second day in a row..... Arpt full of Happy Travelers, especially those guys with six fish boxes they keep having to check in and then reclaim..............
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'd pass on Montague. Better places to hunt for a lot less. Been there done that.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Alaska Airlines allows three 50lb bags instate. Freight for my meat back to Anchorage was cheap. I, unfortunately, have a crew cab long bed truck..so I have to pay a little bit more for the ferry
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I should add on to this one as the reason I was out at the arpt for several days of fogged in weather is trying to get my folks on a plane off the Island, As the standby list lengthened (my dad is retired mechanic for United so flies on space available) this could be a long wait....

I decided, "Hey, what about taking the Ferry?", it was flat calm that day and had been for days, should be a NICE ride to Homer, sister from Wasilla meets them there.......Great solution

So driving home AFTER loading them on the Ferry, I bop on down to the boat, check the Marine Weather,
    SE 30-40 knots for the Barren Islands region !!!!!! Oh man, serious whoops
    Next morn on the phone my sister says, they don't really want to talk about it but Dad said, "It was quite an adventure."

Well, thought to throw that factor in there for the "Wow, the ferry is so inexpensive" way of thinking. You can get Punished on there even in summer.
    Kodiak is called that for a reason I guess, (Kodiak actually means "Land surrounded by Water" or something like that in Alutiq)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Pertinax

I was beginning to put together a November hunt to Hinchinbrook. My plan was to use a boat transporter because I like lots of gear and I was going to bring an inflatable with 25 hp motor. I contacted Cordova Coastal Outfitters who advertised hunting drop offs, and I was going to reserve the Double Bay cabin. Cordova Coastal Outfitters returned my call, but told me they weren't taking people deer hunting anymore on Hinchinbrook because other locals were complaining about hunting pressure from elsewhere. He suggested an air taxi operator, but I know that will cost way more than it's worth. My new plan is to haul my Bayliner on the ferry to Kodiak, launch in Anton Larson Bay, and hunt the Uganik area. It will be cheaper than the air taxi and probably better hunting as well. I just thought Hinchinbrook would be nice because I'd be able to take a brown bear there if the opportunity presented itself.

Default No Ferrys to Kodiak in November

Be advised, there are TWO ferry sailings to kodiak during the month of November (1st and 2nd). The Tustumena is out during November for annual maintenance, and the Kennicott will be covering for other routes. Very bad timing for us Kodiak Hunters! Looks like if your planning a mid-November hunt, flying in is the only option.

~AKBoatR

Kodiakrain, Will have to give you a jingle next time just to say hi. Wife & I just got back tonight, from a little deer hunting. Roland got lucky & was able to snag us in at the last possible minute Friday night. Although we were tent bound all thursday & Friday, arriving back just before 10pm we managed a room at the the B.W. for Friday & Sat, until the jets got moving today.
    Didnt' plan on the hotel, so a fair warning to those going down, @ $200 a day it gets spendy quick. I like the ferry idea, but as you said the marine forecast wasn't much & it didn't sound like fun being out there. However I would rather spend the time being fogged in, in my tahoe & have flexibility vs the fun of moving wet gear & meat boxes on shuttle vans & in a small crowded hotel
    However, we usually come every year & there has only been one time where we haven't been weathered trying to get back to the big city, so its not anything new. Its cruel but addicting.

Yeah Marmot, definitely Pm me if you're in town, especially if your hanging out waiting for weather,
    I've been out of town for two weeks trying to get out to King Cove to do some Black Cod fishing and gettin' weathered pretty heavy. Did get a chance to get up into Buck country on the South end while waiting so fresh venison makes it all worth it,

I agree, cruel but addicting.

I think you are right on the being weathered in with your rig along for flexibility vs. shuffling gear boxes to arpt and back. I would prefer the same. So you were moving Meat boxes, eh? PM with details, I'd love to hear about it

Congrats