Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Unit 13 Caribou Hunts: Court rules Tier-1 hunt Aug 10-Oct 20; Tier-11 Oct 21-March

  1. #1

    Default Unit 13 Caribou Hunts: Court rules Tier-1 hunt Aug 10-Oct 20; Tier-11 Oct 21-March

    The court in Manning v ADFG ruled that the Unit 13 Caribou hunt 850 Tier-1 permits can still go hunting Aug 10 to Oct.20, and a Tier-II hunt from Oct 21 to March 31, 2011.

    For more information go to Alaska Hunting Management forum, and see "Manning wins Tier-11 law suit."

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskasourdough View Post
    The court in Manning v ADFG ruled that the Unit 13 Caribou hunt 850 Tier-1 permits can still go hunting Aug 10 to Oct.20, and a Tier-II hunt from Oct 21 to March 31, 2011.

    For more information go to Alaska Hunting Management forum, and see "Manning wins Tier-11 law suit."
    Absolutely amazing how the Caribou and Moose have made a comeback from there being shortages that prompted Tier ll Hunts, Four Brow Tine Regulations and Predator Control Efforts on Bears and Wolves. We are now at the point, A MERE ONE YEAR LATER there are Surplus'. To the extent to allow Multilple Hunts, Fall and Winter for Caribou and Multiple Hunts for Moose, with modified/lessend Antler Restrictions. Shoot they are even going to let us take the Antlers out of the field this year. Must have too much clutter from previous hunts. Does anyone else have reservations about the data/number the Dept is/has furnished the BOG? This is better than the Circus coming to town. I love Dog and Pony Shows.

    If you plan to Hunt Unit 13 this year, you better plan quick, as there is a short fuse to get your act together. Take a look at the Additional Moose Hunt guys. You can now hunt General Resident Hunt for Moose, from August 15 thru August 25, and they only have to a 3 Brow Tiner. Perfect size for the dinner plate. Go get 'em.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    i think there should be 500 props to end the tier status of this herd, remove most the unit from the subsistence lands, and make the 2300 tags draw tags... hell.. they only have 900 bou available for the registration fall AND winter 40 mile hunt...

    so... Hmmmm 1150 fall nelchina tags.... 1150 winter nelchina tags.. 25,000 applicants @ 5-10-$15 each.... go figure maybe they could afford to do some management next year. but the most accessible unit in the state should have equal opportunity across the board.

    by the way this will ALL COME UP at the march region II meeting again...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i think there should be 500 props to end the tier status of this herd, remove most the unit from the subsistence lands, and make the 2300 tags draw tags... hell.. they only have 900 bou available for the registration fall AND winter 40 mile hunt...

    so... Hmmmm 1150 fall nelchina tags.... 1150 winter nelchina tags.. 25,000 applicants @ 5-10-$15 each.... go figure maybe they could afford to do some management next year. but the most accessible unit in the state should have equal opportunity across the board.

    by the way this will ALL COME UP at the march region II meeting again...
    Actually, the numbers being cast out now by the ADF&G are much larger. That was last years numbers. They now say they want to have as many as 1500 culled this year. The Bio up there is stating the Caribou are about to eat themselves out of food, so they want a LARGE Harvest. Should anyone now question the effectiveness of Predator Control and just how it can really help game to rebound from shortages to surplus', would be absolute ignorant. The sheer numbers speak to this loudly. And lets not forget, that it was the numbers that drove the train in achieving Tier ll status in the first place. With the numbers being this high, there is a very good possiblility that prop would be considered and debated, but I honestly don't believe the ADF&G nor the BOG can put together a package that will satisfy the appetite of the Subsistence Crowd with their Customary and Traditional Use Demands. I think the guys in the black robes will have their retirements guaranteed because of this nonsense.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    lots of federal lands in unit 13 for subsistance hunts still
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6

    Default

    The desired Harvest Numbers are fluid and dynamic. Today the Dept posted a new number of 5,000 as being the targeted numbers to prevent a catastrophic collapse of the herd. And...you can even shoot Cows and calfs. Big turn around from where we were at just a mere year ago.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Better check those dates for Tier I. Pretty sure it is open from Aug. 10-Sept. 20 not until Oct. 20. Also, with a little common sense, most hunters would chose bulls or dry cows for harvest, if they were concerned about future heard numbers.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
    Better check those dates for Tier I. Pretty sure it is open from Aug. 10-Sept. 20 not until Oct. 20. Also, with a little common sense, most hunters would chose bulls or dry cows for harvest, if they were concerned about future heard numbers.
    How would one decide is a cow is dry??? Seems it might involve a little more than common sense to find out which are dry and not, but I could be wrong.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    439

    Default

    This whole thing is a big mess just to satisfy the natives any way you cut it. I have to quit thinking about it as blood is about to shoot right out of my eyes. Like I always said: It is a simple fix, just have a draw for however many animals you want to harvest and everyone is on equal footing regardless as to where you live or how many lies you can justify telling to be drawn. I hunted that herd 35 years ago and would love to go back down and have a quality caribou hunt again but I am not a big enough liar.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default easy to check that

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    How would one decide is a cow is dry???
    Aw come on; that is so obvious. You just reach @#$% %^&#$ and #$%^^& the #$%^# and if the #$%^^$ is %^&* or $%!@# then she's dry. Easy as pie.
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 07-31-2010 at 00:43. Reason: Hey, what did this new forum software do to my direct & concise answer? Its got some serious context & wordage checking! ;-)

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote from FamilyMan..."""Aw come on; that is so obvious. You just reach @#$% %^&#$ and #$%^^& the #$%^# and if the #$%^^$ is %^&* or $%!@# then she's dry. Easy as pie. " quote"

    "Dry Cows" are just old cows without calves... Pretty simple to figure out really, if you've been around Caribou much.


    Maybe you should start a Caribou Co-op... so you can get some free meat.. Just sayin.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Quote from FamilyMan..."""Aw come on; that is so obvious. You just reach @#$% %^&#$ and #$%^^& the #$%^# and if the #$%^^$ is %^&* or $%!@# then she's dry. Easy as pie. " quote"

    "Dry Cows" are just old cows without calves... Pretty simple to figure out really, if you've been around Caribou much.


    Maybe you should start a Caribou Co-op... so you can get some free meat.. Just sayin.
    So just because you see a cow in August without a calf you assume its dry huh?? Pretty bold assumption with calf survival rates as low as 50% in parts of the state.

  13. #13

    Default

    I only shoot Bulls, but I will pick out an old cow for you if you'd like.

  14. #14
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So just because you see a cow in August without a calf you assume its dry huh?? Pretty bold assumption with calf survival rates as low as 50% in parts of the state.
    Look for saggy udders, it may require top quality glass to really make out the wrinkles but you should be able to tell the difference between them and a young firm teat.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I only shoot Bulls, but I will pick out an old cow for you if you'd like.
    I hear ya there for sure. Just find it funny when people say yeah I picked out an old nanny goat or dry caribou cow. I'll stick to shooting bulls as well. Much easier to tell if its a fella or a shelia than if its a philly or an old mare.

  16. #16
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    Pull her teats,if no milk comes out she is dry
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  17. #17

    Default

    The Community Harvest Hunts should be limited to the taking of Dry Cows.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    Member ACNDHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    408

    Default have a quality caribou hunt again but I am not a big enough liar.

    Good on you, at least there is a few of us left out there! Draw baby draw, maybe it will stop the madness.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

  19. #19

  20. #20

    Default

    Some folks have a real hard time with the English Language. How many times does the guy in the black robe have to 'splain it to the BOG Members? He is getting a wee bit tired of their foolishness and his shortness is telling. Seems they need to get some more schooln', this bunch.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •