Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tok sheep hunt

Default Tok sheep hunt

I was wondering if anyone has any information on wich drainage would be most likely accessible by atv?
    Or boat. Air travel for me on this is out of the question unfortunately. I do plan on lotds of hiking but would like to get in as far as possible via atv/boat.

What are your hunt dates?

TMA transportation options....
    I believe boat travel is not a safe option unless you are one exceptionally great jet boat driver, and motor (lower unit) mechanic. Perhaps another forum member can provide info on the boat potential. My TOK sheep hunts have always involved aircraft support. But for a dedicated and mentally tough hiker with time, there are plenty of options......
    dennis

With the rain we've had and water levels, atv's access would be extremely limited as well as boat. Might check on some walk in areas along the road. We've had some extremely high water levels and when sheep season rolls around, water could rise or drop depending on weather.

I was planning on going in Around the opener. 8-10. Sounds like hiking might be the way. Unless I get lucky and find a available plane ride I can afford.

Let's think about this for a minute. You are trying to save a few bucks on a once in a lifetime hunt. Chances are you won't ever draw it again. Pony up and pay for a flight IF you can find an open slot this late in the game. You can always live off macaroni and cheese and ramen noodles supplemented with fresh sheep this winter. Take lots of pictures. TMA is an awesome hunt!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I am going to bet there is ZERO chance of a flight from 40 mile air. You might call Golden Eagle. Looks like the walk in will be your option. The water should be good by that time as we are supposed to have a week of good weather, but that will only mean the glaciers will melt putting more water into the rivers.

Zero chance with 40 mile is right.
    Lace up those boots; the pain awaits.
    Still worth the misery for those big rams....

Tag like this is worth some committed pre-planning.
    Proud to be an American!

I know this is kind of last minute...shouldve been planned once you found out you got the tag...but there are other air transports, Gulkana has one, Chitina Has two and Lees air taxi west of Glenallen. To get to the good areas within the TMA you will need to fly and still hike a few miles, your just going to have to figure out what drainage to go.

snagin,
    It does sound as if you may not have properly prepared....or perhaps that is the way you are fishing for info.
    IF...If... you do not yet have a plan in place, I would suggest that you visit your favorite two or three taxidermists. They obtain bunches of information from gagles of clients over the years, and they may have more suggestions for you concerning walk-in ram areas within TMA.

Lots of good/decent sheep areas that are easily accessible in the Tok Area. Do you have a TMA Drawing Hunt Permit or are you going to go into a General Harvest Hunt area? Depending on the Area you want to access, will determine which Drainage is best for you. Do you have an ATV or Boat? If so, what kind, describe them and their capabilities. Every River/Trail/Drainage is different and requires different strategy. If all you want is a legal sheep, then it is very doable. If you are looking for a real trophy animal, it becomes more difficult and more planning.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

AKRes is totally right. You can hike up Clearwater Creek Trail and get into pretty good sheep country. White Creek, Shindata, Stibnite Creek and some of the other creeks are reachable. You can also go in from Cathedral Mountain and go in from there. I still would march up the ATV trail that goes along the Tok River and then dash up one of the higher creek valleys near Tok Glacier. I would have had Leif fly me into Tok Glacier as well.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    AKRes is totally right. You can hike up Clearwater Creek Trail and get into pretty good sheep country. White Creek, Shindata, Stibnite Creek and some of the other creeks are reachable. You can also go in from Cathedral Mountain and go in from there. I still would march up the ATV trail that goes along the Tok River and then dash up one of the higher creek valleys near Tok Glacier. I would have had Leif fly me into Tok Glacier as well.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Pure gold there, Thomas...

Check should be in the mail!
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Pure gold there, Thomas...

Check should be in the mail!
    Truer words never spoke.

Dear Folks,

I have been advised that the ATV trail near the Tok River crosses private property and proper communications should be made before that avenue can be properly followed. Several people have PM'd this to me. I appologize to them. I found out about it through discussions with both Tok And Fairbanks FG. However, it has also been mentioned several times with cars and vehicles being vandalized on the trail heads. There is never such a thing as a cheap sheep hunt. Unless you find out from the owners of the trail and abide by their rules you shouldn't go.
    The Clearwater Creek trail is more public access and is not so limited. The Cathedral Rapids trail should be investigated by the people who own that lodge over there. I am not suggesting that this is a bomb your way in run. I can tell anybody. You get that tag that you should fly in. The reason is that your opportunity for a really, truly once in a lifetime hunt should be maximized to the greatest possible n-degree.

Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, my family was the only group who would go by J. Sesky's salmon honey hole to get fish by dipnetting. My sister inadvertently told one of her friends the location and presently there are people who flag it and stake if for weeks at a time.

I appologize if I have truly ticked anybody off. But I figured that darned near everybody and their uncle bob knew about the Atv and walking trails into TMA.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Last edited by kaboku68; 08-01-2010 at 00:12. Reason: spelling

Well, snagin, and darned near everybody and their uncle Bob didn't know.

So today, July 31, with opening day a quick ten days away he now has established a great plan for the most coveted ram permit in Alaska. Scout hard man! Start your conditioning program any day now.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Thomas, as said by some, perhaps a pm would have been a better option. I believe you were noble in your intent of simply trying to help a guy out, but there are far too many people that visit these forums looking for the easiest way to kill a ram (or anything else for that matter). Tough to tell if Snagin is disingenuous or not, but erroring on the side of caution and not giving out specific drainages visible to all could save a hunt for someone that had researched one of those spots the old fashioned way, i.e. boots on the ground, pre-season scouting flight, paying for lots of beer for someone who knew the area.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Thomas, as said by some, perhaps a pm would have been a better option. I believe you were noble in your intent of simply trying to help a guy out, but there are far too many people that visit these forums looking for the easiest way to kill a ram (or anything else for that matter). Tough to tell if Snagin is disingenuous or not, but erroring on the side of caution and not giving out specific drainages visible to all could save a hunt for someone that had researched one of those spots the old fashioned way, i.e. boots on the ground, pre-season scouting flight, paying for lots of beer for someone who knew the area.
    I read what Thomas said and I got the feeling I had seen something similar before. Then I remembered where.... http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=sheep.tok

How much of a secret is it when ADF&G has essentially the same info available on their website?

Access

The beauty of the TMA is that it is accessible by foot, 4-wheel drive truck/ATV, or airplane. Drainages accessible from the Alaska and Glenn Highways lead to excellent sheep country and can be successfully used as trails. Some creeks are more difficult than others due to brush or distance. Yerrick and Clearwater Creeks are probably the most difficult but offer more diversity of hunting area due to their length. Large rocks in most of the creek bottoms prevent 4-wheelers or larger ATVs from being efficient modes of transportation. The Tok River country can be accessed by driving a 4-wheel drive truck or ATV along the riverbed. This is an efficient way to access a lot of sheep country. All the drainages leading into the Tok River support sheep along their upper reaches. There are strips and suitable ridge tops or gravel bars scattered throughout the TMA for people who want to fly into the area. People who are experienced driving rafts equipped with a jet unit can travel up the Robertson and Johnson Rivers. The success rates for hunters who walk in from the road, drive up the Tok, or fly in are about the same.

The OP is a newbie to the forum. Unable to receive PM's. He came on here asking for help and options. Isn't that researching? There is no difference in revealing access points on an open internet forum or in a bar or in a living room. The more info that goes out, the more successful the hunters. Touchy subject for some, but those that choose to limit their research and findings to boots on the ground, preseason scouting and whispering to the 'friends' are knowingly placing themselves at the disadvantage. Would it be any different if the information was published in a book, for you to buy and take home and read in some dark spot in the house, where no one else is likely to be looking over your shoulder and discovering these 'secret spots'? The Internet has changed Hunting, Fishing, Alaska and the World. Gotta go with the change or get left behind.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

There is a huge difference in revealing 'spots' on the internet- thousands of people (many of whom wouldn't venture out if they weren't spoonfed all necessary information) have unlimited access to viewing it. I want hunters to be successful, but not because they leeched every bit of information that led to their success from the internet. I research by putting my boots on the ground, preseason scouting and talking with people that share common interests and beliefs- and I certainly don't feel like its a disadvantage...different strokes for different folks. It would be different in a book, at least then you'd have to pay for it. And I don't read in the dark. You are right that the internet has really changed the world we live in, changed for the better and sometimes not so much...

I learn from these forums; about gear, about management, about philosophies, about adventures, about tactics- Openly handing out specifics on areas to hunt is something I don't agree with, regardless of the intent- simply my opinion, feel free to disagree.

New member maybe, but signed up since 08.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast