Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little gun help

Default Need a little gun help

I am getting ready to purchase a rifle for hunting. What 300 win mag do you guys recommend for alaska and what leupold scope should I match it with?

Thanks for your suggestions!

For the money doubt you can beat a stainless Ruger and either a 2.5x8 or 3x9 Leupold. Otherwise there are a ton of choices and most of them will work. Go to a gun store and try all the different brands on for size.

But I quit buying Leupolds since purchasing my first Sightron scope. Much cheaper and better glass and adjustments with the same lifetime warranty.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    For the money doubt you can beat a stainless Ruger and either a 2.5x8 or 3x9 Leupold. Otherwise there are a ton of choices and most of them will work. Go to a gun store and try all the different brands on for size.

But I quit buying Leupolds since purchasing my first Sightron scope. Much cheaper and better glass and adjustments with the same lifetime warranty.
    I agree with Snowwolfe, a Ruger is hard to beat. I have just gotten a Remington 700 XCR II that has the black trinite finish. The receiver, bolt and barrel are all coated, and that is over stainless steel. I think it is a good factory finish and won't be bright like a regular stainless gun. I am sold on Leupold but many different ideas of scopes, I am putting a Leupold Euro 30 mm 3-9x50 on the XCR. Another opinion---Mark

Yep...a Ruger is tough to beat for $$$. Particularly on the used market and there seems to be plenty of them there. I'm also partial to Leupold scopes although I prefer a fixed to variable power. A Ruger 300WM with a 4x or 6x would be a very versatile rifle for general AK hunting.

I'm not partial to Remingtons or Brownings but that's a personal opinion and some guys like them alot.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin4rainbows View Post
    I am getting ready to purchase a rifle for hunting. What 300 win mag do you guys recommend for alaska and what leupold scope should I match it with?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Depends on the dollars you are going to spend. SS rifles are fine, but no better than blued rifles IME so long as you care for them and besides that the blued guns just look so much better! I'd consider buying a used rifle to save some money. As a rule 300 WMs are not shot a lot so you can end up with a great value in an almost new rifle. Ruger makes good rifles, but so do Winchester, Remington, Savage, etc. If you plan to keep the rifle as is (no new stock, trigger, etc.) then I suggest you take an opportunity to handle as many rifles as possible to see what "feels" best in your hands and let that be the primary guide in your decision. However if you want to customize your rifle then Rem 700s and Win 70s easily have the most accessible aftermarket goodies.

Leupold is not the only good scope manufacturer, but you could do a lot worse. A fixed 4X is tough to beat all around, but a 2x7 or 3x9 is equally functional and some hunters simply have to a variable scope. VX-3 have better coatings, but the Vari-X II was the gold standard for years and the modern counterpart is the VX-I. I'd easily save a few hundred dollars by selecting a VX-I and put the extra cash in a better binocular. Good luck on your search and let us know what you select.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

For the money I really like the new model 70 winchester. If money is of no concern, Its pretty hard to beat a Blaser.

I have a VariX-3 3.5-10 on my model 70 300 wm and its been a good all around scope.

I gave a SS Ruger 300WM to my cousin for Christmas last year. I worked up a good hand load and delivered the rifle with 50 rounds. It was well balanced and a good shooter. Info in the link...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Mas?highlight=

I'd probably snatch up a new M70 and stick an older Leupold M8 4X on it. The old M8's seem to last forever for little $. You can snag them up on ebay for about $150 like new, often times less. The two newer M70's Ive played with have been exceptional in function and accuracy right out of the box. A Ruger would be my second bet. They are a very functional rifle, and Ive yet to see a problem with one in the field. Probably best to shoulder both and see which one feels better to you.

If you could live with a 35 Whelen here is a good deal. Fixed 4X or 2X7 and good to go
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e-in-35-Whelen
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    +1

Absolutely stainless/synthetic. Ruger, Kimber, Remington, Winchester. Handle them all and see what you like. Weight, feel of action, feel of handling, trigger, safety ease/type, quality of stock, LOP, ect. Leupold is hard to beat. A VX3 in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 would be hard to beat.

I would look at either the Winchester M70 or the Weatherby Vanguard in stainless/synthetic. I haven't handled or shot every make or model out there, but initial impressions tell me that these two are high quality rifles. There are a multitude of other options out there, but if I was looking for a .300 Win Mag for not too much $$$ that I expected to take hunting right out of the box and not have any trouble, I would probably buy one of these two. The scope would be a Leupold 3-9X VX-II. Just my opinion...

It's not hard to pick out the old guys from the young guys on this thread. Young guys like black and shiny guns with lots of magnification. Us old farts like our walnut and blued steel and fixed power scopes of 6X and under. Ok I got a few 2X7s.

You could go so many directions here and not go wrong! I have been shooting Ruger 77s for going on 4 decades and love them, however I'm gonna side with seant on the new model 70. I just got one in 325WSM and even though it's still new the bolt is smoother than my well worn 77s. Your going to have to satisfy your own taste buds as far the black and shiny model(my preference on motorcycles) or a beautiful walnut and blued model(my preference in guns).

Give me a K4 or K6 Weaver made in Elpaso Texas as my first choice on any rifle. I also really like the Nikon Prostaff 2X7 for the $.

I went thumbs down on Leupolds a few years back. We had a VXII at the shop that was nonfunctional so I did the unthinkable. I tore it apart. I then grabbed a used BSA out of the pile and operated on it too. I came away with the very sound conclusion that in regards to the $250 Leupold...it was a lot of money for the scope but the $50 BSA was a lot of scope for the money. There was no way in heck that the Leupold was worth 5 times as much as the BSA. There is not another product on the face of the earth where you have the extreme price spread for products that do the same function nor where you pay extreme prices just for the name on the product!

One step further then I'll shut up. Every new scope I buy gets put in the kitchen sink full of water before it goes on my gun. If it says waterproof on the box then it better be. I'd rather find out in the kitchen sink while I still have the receipt than in a rain storm or on a river bank in the midst of a hunt far from home. Most of them are as they say but every once in a while you get one that makes bubbles. Ok I don't do that any more but I used to and had some high dollar scopes that leaked. I don't wade rivers anymore and stay in the cabin when its raining now-a-day.

Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up purchasing the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in the .300 win mag.
    I have not purchased a scope yet but I am looking at a Leupold VX-III

Great rifle, next step is to top it w/ a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and enjoy a bright scope with crystal clear reticle and consistent eye relief at all power settings so there is no need to creep closer to the scope when the power goes up. Take a look at one at Sportsmans then order it from Doug at cameraland (they sponsor the optics forum)

Quote Originally Posted by fishin4rainbows View Post
    Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up purchasing the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in the .300 win mag.
    I have not purchased a scope yet but I am looking at a Leupold VX-III

Your going to be happy with it I'm sure. I own 2 of the new Mod 70 Extreme Weather's and both shoot sub moa. I own several scopes, both Leupold and Zeiss, the Zeiss Conquest is just a better scope for the money. Have have watched the sun go down and come up and looked through both scopes side by side several times and the Zeiss always gives about 10 to 15 minutes more shooting time. They just gather light better. Mount your scope in a set of Talley lightweights and you are ready to go forth and conquer.

Lujon is giving you some spot on info. See if Doug at Cameraland has what you are after. He has great deals and his demos are priced right.

Here is a link to the thread I started when I bought mine. I spent some time polishing the action and cycling it with some toothpaste while I watched TV. When I show this rifle to people now and they cycle the action their usual response is WOW, it is silky smooth. I have had many rifles through my safe in recent years and the NEW Winchesters that FNH is putting out are IMHO the best buy for your money and they hold thier value about as good or better than any of the rest.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-SS?highlight=

Be sure to post a range report once you get a chance.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Great rifle, next step is to top it w/ a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    ....or a Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x36 or a Leupold vx3 in 2.5-8x36 if you can't justify the money for the others. Mountain View Sports has the Swarovski and likely the Zeiss and Leupold. It would help to look at them all side by side.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    ....or a Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x36 or a Leupold vx3 in 2.5-8x36 if you can't justify the money for the others. Mountain View Sports has the Swarovski and likely the Zeiss and Leupold. It would help to look at them all side by side.

Brett
    I plan on putting together a new sheep rifle when I get back and since zeiss put the kibosh on the 2.5-8x32 I really want to take a close look at that Swaro. It stands a very good chance to be the next scope to adorn one of my hunting rifles. Even the swaro logo is just sexy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post

Brett
    Yeah...What Brett Said....
    If money is no object...yes, I would go with the Z3 swaros....3.5-10x42 with the BRX reticles, this with some light weight one piece talleys and you are set !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I really want to take a close look at that Swaro. It stands a very good chance to be the next scope to adorn one of my hunting rifles. Even the swaro logo is just sexy!
    Sexy indeed!!! Mark Bansner should have a 7mm wsm ready for me in the next month and that's the exact scope I'm sending to him to addorn it. You're welcome to check it out when you get back. Just send me a PM.

Brett

OK, I ended up putting a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm on my Winchester Model 70 .300 win mag. I cant wait to get out to the range.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast