Thread: another primer question

Smile another primer question

I have been reloading with federal 215 gold medal primers that someone gave me and all my loads have been with these. Well, I just ran out but have some CCI magnum rifle and Winchester magnum rifle primers. Anyone have any experience with how much change to expect in my loads from changing primers? They would be identical loads just with the different primers. Also, anyone use either of these other primers to either recommend or warn about them?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Depends on how hot your loads are. If they were not close to max pretty much any primer can be used. Just shoot a group and check point of impact.
    If your loads were close to or at max drop down by a couple of grains and work back up just o be safe.
    Tennessee

There you go, what SNOWWOLFE said.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Smile primers

Thanks for the info as its encouraging even though I wont have the same primers available. Believe it or not my loads are minimum loads. 65 grains 4831 in the WSM shoots the best group of the bunch (165) and is the lowest range listed for the powder! It doesnt have as nice a trajectory as the faster loads, just more accurate for me. I have never compared primers for accuracy and wondered if you see much difference.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Sollybug - I'm with you - I'd take accuracy over speed any day. Now the trick is to find a load that does both!

I actually tested CCI 250 versus Fed 215 and Fed 215M in my 375 Ruger a couple of years ago.

The Federal 215 and CCI were only 14fps apart and the 215M was 40 fps slower on average. The CCI 250 had the lowest spread of the three lots tested.

I've read on several other sites that the Winchester LRM primer is much hotter. I've also read that it can produce as much as 2000psi higher pressure. If you plan on using the Winchester primer reduce your load by a grain for safety and work back up. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers,